Monitor Audio RS6 or Jamo D590?

rajhalve

Hi Everyone,

Went and heard lots of systems today and have shortlisted two sets (Amp+Speakers) that are exactly the same price.

Option 1: Monitor Audio RS6 Speakers + Marantz Amp PM 7003

Option 2: Jamo D590 speakers + marantz Amp PM 5003.

Anyone here can give me some advice?

Cheers

I'm not a big Jamo fan but the D590 is head and shoulders above the RS6 in every way. It deserves way better amplification than marantz to shine though. Its a slightly tough load and needs atleast 100+ watt of power and an amp with high current..

rajhalve,

I am pleasantly surprised to look at your short list for speakers. These are the two speakers that I have appreciated the most during the last 6 years. Both of them are highly satisfying and have their strong points. D590 has good details and base. The mids are a bit receded but have a great speed. I prefer D590 to Jamo's more expensive speakers. MA RS6 to has as good details, and even a good bass despite its small size. It has a slightly forward midrange in comparison, and makes the singer sound more intimate and up close. You can feel the throat and mouth moving to modulate the voice. I think the Jamo might produce a better sound stage for big orchestral recordings. Select what ever you prefer.

Even I wonder why you selected different amps for these speakers. Both these speakers out perform their price range, and are capable of a big sound. So look for a more powerful and meaty amp. Make sure the amp is warm and sweet sounding. I am a using NAD C372 with MA RS6.

Thanks,
Sharad

Thanks a lot Sharad.
I am actually trying out the NADs tomorrow and hopefully the C372 or even the C275BEE might work?I think I have finalised on the Jamo D590s.
Cheers

Hi Everyone,

Went and heard lots of systems today and have shortlisted two sets (Amp+Speakers) that are exactly the same price.

Option 1: Monitor Audio RS6 Speakers + Marantz Amp PM 7003

Option 2: Jamo D590 speakers + marantz Amp PM 5003.

Anyone here can give me some advice?

Cheers

HI!!
I really doubt that you would be able to drive the D590 with PM 5003. It is a 4 Ohm load and 200W 'Nominal power handling' speaker. For this speaker you need a much powerful amp than a PM5003 for this speaker to really shine. I myself am pondering in another thread for a 'right' amp. I am looking at PM7003 for my PSB t55 which is a 6ohm load and 125w 'nominal power'.

I have heard the D590 4 years back. It is an awesome speaker. Please do justice to it and buy a powerful amp. Or buy a good pre/power> NAD 162/272

Sumit

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back