Moto G series phones

square_wave

A question for people who are very familiar with the G series from Moto.

I was thinking of picking up a Moto G5 series phone. The G5S plus ( 64 gb )with the 5.5 inch screen comes highly recommended by friends. This is supposed to be an upgrade over the G5 plus ( 32 gb) 5.2 inch screen model which was the rage last year. But I observed something weird when I started looking these up online. All the specs including the screen size is better on the G5S plus and all reviews proclaim it to be an upgrade over the G5 plus. But the price all over the net is higher for the older G5 plus ( by 1000 rs ). What is the catch ? I have asked around but no one seems to know !

Last edited:
I bought the G5 Plus last 2 months back after trying to compare it with the G5S Plus and other phones. I found not much of a difference. However, if you are looking for, you could check the Redmi Note5.

MaSh

G5+ is 11K on Flipkart and G5S+ is 14.5K. Amazon is selling G5+ for 13.7K and G5S+ for 13K. I think the price difference is bcoz of stock issue. Maybe Amazon has more stock of G5S+ than G5+.

What is the catch ?

Not that this would necessarily warrant a difference in price. The screen is better on the older G5 Plus and G5S. The pixel density per inch is lower on the G5S Plus.

All said and done, I'd still buy the phone with higher internal storage capacity as anything that reads off a micro sd card is slower.

Any idea on the sound quality of this phone specially when streamed through bluetooth?

Why would there be a change in sound via Bluetooth? I noticed no change between an iPhone, Redmi Note3, Redmi Note 4 and Moto G5 Plus. You might notice a change if you used the headphone out.

MaSh

Bought this phone a week back as my old Nexus 5 died after falling in a bucket of water :D.
For some reason, the Bluetooth on this phone doesn't recognise my Yamaha stereo amplifier(RS 202 BL) but it does recognise the Bluetooth speaker & smart watch. Tried all the tricks mentioned in online forums and updated all security patches on the phone, but nothing works.
Very frustrating as playing music from my mobile was the major source.

Bought this phone a week back as my old Nexus 5 died after falling in a bucket of water :D.
For some reason, the Bluetooth on this phone doesn't recognise my Yamaha stereo amplifier(RS 202 BL) but it does recognise the Bluetooth speaker & smart watch. Tried all the tricks mentioned in online forums and updated all security patches on the phone, but nothing works.
Very frustrating as playing music from my mobile was the major source.

Did you try finding the phone from your amp? Is the Amp seeing the phone?

MaSh

Did you try finding the phone from your amp? Is the Amp seeing the phone?
The only way I'm using so far is by selecting the Bluetooth input in Amp and it starts searching for the nearby sources. If it doesn't find any, it displays 'Not Connected' and if it finds, get to see the Amp in phone's search list. I don't think there's a provision for other way round.

Mash, you were right about trying to pair from Amp end, it worked.
I had almost forgotten of this option and how to do in this Amp.
Thanks again!!

Ahh thats great. Yes I advised that as that is how I connect the phone in my car. Phone to Car HU does not work, however, HU to Phone works like a charm and then they just handshake once in close proximity.

MaSh

Why would there be a change in sound via Bluetooth?

If the phone and receiving device support bluetooth aptx standard (cd quality, full bandwth transmission over wireless), there should be a difference in audio quality. Off course, your source file needs to be good in the first place to benefit from this. Unfortunately; not a lot of devices say or advertise if aptx is present or not so hard to say. Bose headphones do mention this as a wireless audio standard.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back