Mountain Music

moktan

Kathmandu , Darjeeling hills etc have a vibrant music scene. Hopefully some of the bands and acts featured in this thread will pique your interest to discover more ..
First up a Kathmandu band called Night. They sing in various regional dialects , incorporate vernacular instruments and add newer nuances to traditional tunes. Unfortunately I don’t completely comprehend the lyrics of the first song but it sounds like a work song , the second is a child’s song that celebrates the joys of life in the forest with animals.
Both are live, unplugged versions but you can find their official music videos too in the internet. Night also compose music for films.
Needless to mention , headphones are recommended.

Nepathya (literally meaning wings of a stage , that is hidden by curtains or scenery ) is a big act in Nepal and have been around for about 30 years now. Some years ago, when the country was wracked by the Maoist insurgency, they performed a series of cross country concerts that was well received by all irrespective of their political affiliations.
Their music is rooted in the traditional tunes but have a rock and blues inspired contemporary flavour.
The first song is based on a mountain melody , the second is probably a western Nepal folk song, the third is a vigorous dance song, while the last one is a live concert in which they sing a patriotic number- the crowd informs one of their popularity.

Last edited:
Gauley Bhai ( literally , village boy) is Bangalore based, though three of its members hail from my hometown :). They are quite a new act having burst in the scene just about a year ago with their debut album Joro ( Fever) to reviews ranging from the very positive to the highly enthusiastic. Their music though based on the folk idiom has a very mature, self assured and almost unique sound to it. The lyrics have layered imageries that takes multiple listenings to unpack - I think they sell amongst their merchandise a small booklet with the English translations.
The first video is Abhagi ( literally , the unfortunate one ) a teaser release from their forthcoming album.
The second song Morau ( death ) has an intriguing music video. As to whether the intended effort to cross-pollinate Nepali lyrics ( that narrate the amorous goings on during a typical night wake for the dead ) with South Indian visual imagery has succeeded or not I reserve my judgment!

Last edited:
Great thread @moktan :)

'Resham firiri' was a catchy Nepali folk tune I had heard being played all along the Annapurna trek routes. Here is Arko Mukherjee's reggae-esque version of it.

Here's another beautiful song from him, in traditional folk style. A Bengali singer, singing Nepali. I don't understand a word of what he sings, but it doesn't matter as long as it connects and transports me back to that place of tranquility :)

Cadenza Collective is the most well established jazz band of Kathmandu. Their music draws inspiration from folk motifs and have a sophisticated and urbane vibe to it. Given the time they have been around they have been appropriated by the establishment. But still sometimes we find tinges of social humour in their lyrics, a wry wit perhaps and a sliver of subversion that show the promise of what could have been. The first is a delightfully funky number from their well received album Back To The Roots. Its also probably the only jazz song I know on the ubiquitous momo. The second is a breezy , easy listening jazzy number which the band labels as Nepali afro-funk from their latest album Himalayan Songlines. Their earlier album is Groove For Shiva , which set the template for their sound.
The last song begins with some English phrases and then segues into a delightful double entendre of mildly vulgar proportions. My pick of the lot.

Anjan Dutta. The first song celebrates the mountains , the second the town and the third a popular local musician and entrepreneur.

https://youtu.be/CWNLZwTsJnA
Great thread @moktan :)

'Resham firiri' was a catchy Nepali folk tune I had heard being played all along the Annapurna trek routes. Here is Arko Mukherjee's reggae-esque version of it.

Here's another beautiful song from him, in traditional folk style. A Bengali singer, singing Nepali. I don't understand a word of what he sings, but it doesn't matter as long as it connects and transports me back to that place of tranquility :)

Cadenza Collective is the most well established jazz band of Kathmandu. Their music draws inspiration from folk motifs and have a sophisticated and urbane vibe to it. Given the time they have been around they have been appropriated by the establishment. But still sometimes we find tinges of social humour in their lyrics, a wry wit perhaps and a sliver of subversion that show the promise of what could have been. The first is a delightfully funky number from their well received album Back To The Roots. Its also probably the only jazz song I know on the ubiquitous momo. The second is a breezy , easy listening jazzy number which the band labels as Nepali afro-funk from their latest album Himalayan Songlines. Their earlier album is Groove For Shiva , which set the template for their sound.
The last song begins with some English phrases and then segues into a delightful double entendre of mildly vulgar proportions. My pick of the lot.

Cadenza Collective is available both on Spotify and TIDAL

Thanks for starting this thread Moktan.
What a fabulous musical tradition we have up there!

I remember appreciating the strong showings by groups from the Manipur and other parts of the North East as well in some of the local music concerts and festivals down South. Should be fun to get to know a lot more on this thread.

Regards

@moktan, this is a novel and very appreciable thread. It introduces us to a very musical, yet largely unknown part of India. You are uniquely positioned to bring us these treasures and talents. Please continue to do so. More power to the thread.

BTW, I recently came across this Nepalese singer on Youtube. She sings Nepalese traditional (hope that counts as Mountain Music) as well as cover versions of Hindi film songs. Nice clear voice as well as tuneful singing. Here's one example:

You can explore the channel for more of this singer.

The Robin which is the constant in Robin N Looza and Robin and the New Revolution, is Robin Tamang. He is what you can call the archetypical rockstar , though today one may find him in Nepali movies too performing stereotyped roles - as the bad man usually , because of his imposing figure and anglicized Nepali ( he was raised in Canada).
His music however at the time he burst on the scene was pathbreaking for its use of authentic rock tropes to deliver sensitive , social messages.
His lyrics have a wry humour and a refreshing directness in contrast to the mushy romanticism of the words in popular music. He has list songs - Pahilo Naam with its witty inventory of the drugs consumed by young Nepalis , songs that sing about body arriving in boxes (there are many Nepalis in various armies around the world ) .
He is playfully adventurous with his forays into singing Hindi covers ( Dum Maro Dum , Gazab Ka He Din etc ) , mixing up Cat Stevens , Bee Gees with his Nepali lyrics and making these songs his own.

Much more mainstream than what has been posted so far ...
But this was put up by the Shillong Chamber Choir to bring some cheer during the pandemic

I will continue to post on bands. But here are some popular songs on YouTube . Literally there are hundreds of them...

https://youtu.be/5Og9bvSW_RM

https://youtu.be/wxPM8ueY-gc

Last edited:
The Youtube algorithm has picked up on my watching patterns and served up this video on my feed today

‘Kalanki Ko Jam’ released in 2008 is one of the finest rock albums in Nepali. It seamlessly fuses the Nepali folk sound with an authentic , blues rooted rock sound.
Mukti Shakya ( vocalist and guitarist ) an astute veteran of the blues showed how it is done and opened up a world of possibilities which sadly even he ( apart from one or two other songs ) hasn’t been able to properly exploit.
However this album is a real gem.
His pitch, phrasing , song writing , guitar work and the more than able support of his band (Mukti and Revival) has made Kalanki Ko Jam the truly gold standard for Nepali rock.
The title track talks about a small time politician who , tired of eking out an existence tilling the land , comes to the city , red bag slung on his shoulder to try out his luck as a politician , hoping for a Pajero - a one time ubiquitous symbol of political upward mobility in the country.
It’s the acme of great songwriting.
Other songs including a rock version of a Newari ( a language spoken in the Kathmandu valley ) folk song are no slouches either.

I once heard him scat and keep an audience of 50 strong captive. The showmanship and playfulness seeps through in most of Jamyang"s performances. The song he sings in hindi reflects a bit of that. He also has a repertoire of a lot of Tibetian music. That hearty laugh is so infectious.This time he sings more heartfelt lyrics. The man is a Dharamshala treasure. The JJ Exile Brothers Cafe that Jamyang I associated with (with his brothers I think) also makes good food.

Last edited:
I can listen to Chaubandi Chalo all day every day. Resham by Nepathyais great song too. The plugged version is my favourite. I like Sabin Rai too...Malai angali deo...... excellent! Then there is 1947 AD pnjro ko suga.... classic!

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back