Movies with high caliber visuals and photography

neel

Bluray genre has leapt into very high impact imagery in relation to DVD. The scale of improvement in visuals is much more compared to the audio counterpart which was rather well established in DTS/DD5.1 found in a DVD disc.

This means new lease of life to panoramic shots painstakingly taken by visionary directors like David Lean, and brought to our living rooms or should I say our personal home theaters.

While the CG work could make most of the current crop of movies look very appealing, let us celebrate the pure and stunning camera work of yesteryear movies devoid of any artificial computer manipulations. I invite people to share their experience with such movies where the bluray transfers are spectacular preserving the big-screen magic of camera work.

I gather "The Searchers", "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang", "Lawrence of Arabia", "Sound of Music" etc have been noteworthy video transfers - most of them perhaps from their 70MM originals. Could people add to this list for the benefit of videophiles?

Thanks, Neel

Baraka
2001: A space odyssey
Agony and the Ecstasy
Cleopatra
Mackenna's Gold
Ben Hur
.......... and the list goes on.........some will be released in blu ray very soon......

I feel nothing comes compared to sheer brilliance of Sergio Leone.
The Blu-ray transfer of Man with no name trilogy is mediocre but Have heard that Once upon a time in the west is a masterpiece of transfer. i have ordered a Blu-ray, lets see.

Blu-ray might be mediocre but movies are so good that I feel it makes up for that.

I feel nothing comes compared to sheer brilliance of Sergio Leone.
The Blu-ray transfer of Man with no name trilogy is mediocre but Have heard that Once upon a time in the west is a masterpiece of transfer. i have ordered a Blu-ray, lets see.

Blu-ray might be mediocre but movies are so good that I feel it makes up for that.

Sergio Leone and Ennio Morricone combination was awesome. Can't remember how many times I watched the trilogy.

Speaking of which most of the Westerns have beens shot so immaculately, you smell the dust of the passing by horse!!!

No Country for Old Men - panoramic shots of Desert Scenes are Breathtaking.

NCfOM is one of my favourites! It is a shame, somebody listed this as avoidable movie in another thread. More you watch this film, more you align and appreciate the human tendencies the director brings out.

NCfOM is one of my favourites! It is a shame, somebody listed this as avoidable movie in another thread. More you watch this film, more you align and appreciate the human tendencies the director brings out.

I think its Too Raw and Violent for some people to digest. For me this is the One of the Best film making. Bluray is excellent in both PQ and AQ. If you like the movie its an absolute must.

I created a similar thread a few months back - http://www.hifivision.com/movies/13971-best-looking-movies-ever-made.html

Check it out. There are lots of great suggestions with pictures too.

Thanks Vramak. Your introductory clips are indeed opulent! Very good compilation!!

I am trying focus on a subset of films that did not benefit from CG technology. CG makes some films look awesome and wonderful (e.g. Matrix, Avatar, the list is long). While these are nice to watch, I would like to exclude them just to bring out magic some people were able to achieve with just their lenses and keen eye for details.

Sergie Eisenstien's films (e.g. Battleship Potemkin) comes to mind.

I think its Too Raw and Violent for some people to digest. For me this is the One of the Best film making. Bluray is excellent in both PQ and AQ. If you like the movie its an absolute must.

I agree. It is like Quentin tarantino. You either like or hate. No mean path.

I hope that someday we get a remastered blu-ray version of Sholay and not the tele-cine transfers that we get in market.

I was wondering if the US and UK releases of blurays differ for the same movie? If so, which version do we get in India?

Zulu, Blade runner etc. are being discussed as bench-mark transfers elsewhere. Any opinion on what is available in Indian markets/amazon.co.uk?

I was wondering if the US and UK releases of blurays differ for the same movie? If so, which version do we get in India?

Zulu, Blade runner etc. are being discussed as bench-mark transfers elsewhere. Any opinion on what is available in Indian markets/amazon.co.uk?

Yes for some movies. rewind @ dvdcompare.net - the home of dvd & blu-ray comparisons is good site to start with.
There is a Huge thread in avsforum on bit rates of each move to compare with http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1155731#anchorEM-GR .

Indian Versions are mix of US or UK releases there isn't any consistency. In my experience BHV releases are mostly US versions, Disney do its pressing in India but master could be US/UK there isn't any consistency in this regard.Only way to know is from back cover details. For peace of mind avoid buying indian releases import best copy by looking up above sites.

No list will be complete without Lawrence of Arabia and its stunning desert scapes. I do not have screen shots myself right now but will post later.

Yes for some movies. rewind @ dvdcompare.net - the home of dvd & blu-ray comparisons is good site to start with.
There is a Huge thread in avsforum on bit rates of each move to compare with http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1155731#anchorEM-GR .

Indian Versions are mix of US or UK releases there isn't any consistency. In my experience BHV releases are mostly US versions, Disney do its pressing in India but master could be US/UK there isn't any consistency in this regard.Only way to know is from back cover details. For peace of mind avoid buying indian releases import best copy by looking up above sites.

Thanks for the links Idlebrain.

You are right; it may be better to source from outside. Another irritating point is the way censors operate and cut-off some of the well integrated scenes in foreign films, leaving you high and dry. There is a sense of despair here as the average popular Indian film tends to be vulgar right from dialogues to subtle obscene references and they pass through! I have seen this even in the so called 'bhakthi' films on our Gods.

Most of my collections are from UK and I probably would continue in this path.

No list will be complete without Lawrence of Arabia and its stunning desert scapes. I do not have screen shots myself right now but will post later.

This and Dr.Zhivago exemplify the golden days of David Lean. The Russian winter chills the room every time. You can't move along without possibly admiring every shot. People get irritated to watch movies with me for this sole reason!!!

Ben-Hur and Gone with the Wind were bundled with Dr.Zhivago and sold as a collector's item in UK during the DVD days. I still cherish the box.

Would be great if somebody gives a review of their Bluray transfers too.

Here are some pics from Lawrence of Arabia as promised:

LoA-01.png

LoA-02.png

LoA-03.png

LoA-04.png

LoA-05.png

Stunning visuals of the desert. Did you reduce the resolution for these posts? Even in the enlargement, it seems a bit course.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back