Moving to Actives !!!

deepestpurple

After spending tons of money in power amps, finally took the leap to move to active speakers. Got myself the ATC SCM150 ASLT. First impression ? Just back breaking heavy, took 4 person to unload from the truck !!! Driving it using the Cary SLP98 pre amp. The burning process is on :)

Active 3.jpgActive 4.jpgActive 2.jpgActive 1.jpg

Attachments

• Active 2.jpg
    Active 2.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Active 4.jpg
    Active 4.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 57
Congratulations! Looks awesome. Boxing and packaging itself explains the quantum of back-breaking.
It looks like installed at first or second floor. So when you post detailed review, don't forget to add the effects, if any, experienced at lower levels. :)

Thank you everyone :) Coming to price, I hope it is okay if I don't disclose it.
Edit:
Also, can anyone help me understand why I am not able to post my amp for listing in the sales section ? I am putting it up but is getting deleted :( Not sure which rule I am breaking. Any help/guidance will be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, can anyone help me understand why I am not able to post my amp for listing in the sales section ? I am putting it up but is getting deleted :( Not sure which rule I am breaking. Any help/guidance will be appreciated.
Reach out to one of the mods and they should be able to clarify

Congrats buddy. ATC sounds best driven by its own amps.

I second that. ATCs are best if you go active with them. I have used a SCM 19 and their active version (19A). The passive was powered by an Exposure 3010S2 Pre/Power. But 19 actives were much better when paired with same source and a Schiit Freya Pre-Amp.

Thank you everyone :) Coming to price, I hope it is okay if I don't disclose it.

No problem :). Most of us will have a "non-disclosure agreement" with the dealer when the final price is agreed upon :). But my guess is that it will be around the cost of an VW T-Roc (ex-showroom atleast!) since i was quoted the price of an VW Vento for a slightly lesser model :)

Another initial observation I must share - these are very very loud speakers :) . With the demo ATC CDA2 pre amp, I could not even touch 9 O clock and the living room is pretty big (38 ft by 26 ft) When I switched to my Cary SLP98, I could go to 10 O Clock but thats because the input gain in Cary is set at 12 O Clock.

Now I am in the hunt for a better tube pre amp. Cary SLP98 is very sweet sounding but I want to find out what more details can still be unearthed. If you have recommendations please share. Will be grateful :cool:

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back