Multiple subwoofers

Naturelover

Staff member
Hi all

Have been contemplating to go with dual subwoofers for my upcoming home theatre likely to be ready by end Jan. This is a multipurpose room with the stereo (independent setup) and work PC in the same room. This is a new house under construction.

Room size is 23.5 x 14 x 11.5 feet. A layout drawing is attached.

Planning for 7.2 or 9.2 with present Pioneer SC-LX57 AVR. I am not keen on atmos/DTX. I know it is the future but passing on it for now.

Have got one pair of Dali Zensor 3, a Zensor Vokal and 2 pairs of Zensor 1.

And now looking for a pair of subwoofers. Budget around 50k each sub. Tentative max 75k each.

BIC, Polk, SVS, XTZ, Rythmik, etc on the radar.

Then, of course, there's DIY :D . Oh, would love that provided someone is willing to build (pricing can be discussed) or provide detailed guidance since I have a good carpenter and a guy who builds speakers. Hopefully they will be able to do the job.
I have been digging into DIY sections and am increasingly being tempted.

Absolutely open to suggestions on branded vs DIY, makes, models and any related advice of configuration, placement, etc.

Open to buying used for VFM. In fact, have loved buying used here :). So do let me know if any for sale. Preferably a pair (or two ;)).

Which brings me to whether I should consider quad. But that will definitely have to be used or DIY since four branded new ones would be too much of an expense.
Again, four will have very limited placement options. Most of the side and back walls are taken up by cabinetry.

Attachments

• HT plan view.jpg
    HT plan view.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 40
Which brings me to whether I should consider quad.

I'd suggest giving it serious consideration. I have my HT in a similar sized living room (24 * 16 approx.) and have almost the same number of doors and windows to contend with like you do. I have bitten the bullet for an additional pair to go with my duals.

Hi all

Have been contemplating to go with dual subwoofers for my upcoming home theatre likely to be ready by end Jan. This is a multipurpose room with the stereo (independent setup) and work PC in the same room. This is a new house under construction.

Planning for 7.2 or 9.2 with present Pioneer SC-LX57 AVR. I am not keen on atmos/DTX. I know it is the future but passing on it for now.

And now looking for a pair of subwoofers. Budget around 50k each sub. Tentative max 75k each.

Then, of course, there's DIY :D . Oh, would love that provided someone is willing to build (pricing can be discussed) or provide detailed guidance since I have a good carpenter and a guy who builds speakers. Hopefully they will be able to do the job.

Absolutely open to suggestions on branded vs DIY, makes, models and any related advice of configuration, placement, etc.

Open to buying used for VFM. In fact, have loved buying used here :). So do let me know if any for sale. Preferably a pair (or two ;)).

Which brings me to whether I should consider quad. But that will definitely have to be used or DIY since four branded new ones would be too much of an expense.
Again, four will have very limited placement options. Most of the side and back walls are taken up by cabinetry.
Quad will be good so with a budget of 1.5L max the best option will be the bic. If you are going quad you should also consider a mini dsp to get the best of a quad set up. If you are going to buy 4, definitely a good discount will be given to you by the dealer for sure. Quad set up for svs, xtz and the rythmik wil surely cost you more. There was an ad for dual bic pl-200ii from a CHENNAI fm few months back. Do check if it’s available

Hi all

I would go for the diy, a couple for dayton ultimax 18 inchers are a good start.
You can build a marty box, there are 4 variations for this build with varying enclosure sizes and frequency extension offered. The sizes and cutouts for panels are readily available if you search. You can opt for the Marty sub which suits your space availability.
The drivers are officially available at a Mumbai based dealer for roughly 35000 INR pp. Add to that the cost of build of one cabinet to be around 7k for one or 12k for 2 cabinets for a Mini Marty build.
You can buy a Behringer Inuke Dsp based amp or a similar one from crown for around 30k / 35k? I think.
So total cost for duals would be
35000 x 2 = 70000
Build. = 12000
Amp = 35000
======≠=======
Total = 117000/=
This setup will stomp over everything you have on your mind with oodles of headroom to spare & relative ease not to mention that in doing so it will provide with plenty of usable extension below 20hz.
Fire away any questions or help you need with respect to this diy build.

Last edited:
I'd suggest giving it serious consideration. I have my HT in a similar sized living room (24 * 16 approx.) and have almost the same number of doors and windows to contend with like you do. I have bitten the bullet for an additional pair to go with my duals.
Thanks. What placement are you planning to do?

I would go for the diy, a couple for dayton ultimax 18 inchers are a good start.
You can build a marty box, there are 4 variations for this build with varying enclosure sizes and frequency extension offered. The sizes and cutouts for panels are readily available if you search. You can opt for the Marty sub which suits your space availability.
The drivers are officially available at a Mumbai based dealer for roughly 35000 INR pp. Add to that the cost of build of one cabinet to be around 7k for one or 12k for 2 cabinets for a Mini Marty build.
You can buy a Behringer Inuke Dsp based amp or a similar one from crown for around 30k / 35k? I think.
35000 x 2 = 70000
Build. = 12000
Amp = 35000
======≠=======
Total = 117000/=
This setup will stomp over everything you have on your mind with oodles of headroom to spare & relative ease not to mention that in doing so it will provide with plenty of usable extension below 20hz.
Thanks. Will check up on this and fire back at you ;)

Thanks. What placement are you planning to do?

First attempt is going to be the bigger subs along the front wall at 1/4 and 3/4 width and the smaller subs along the rear wall at 1/4 and 3/4 width. If this doesn't work, I'll try the four corners. Last option for the smaller subs is going to be along the length, either side of my MLP (about 9 ft from the back wall).

35000 x 2 = 70000
Build. = 12000
Amp = 35000
======≠=======
Total = 117000/=
Will it be better to build with 15 inch ones rather than 18 inch ones and will it make a significant cost difference?

Will it be better to build with 15 inch ones rather than 18 inch ones and will it make a significant cost difference?
15 inch would be cheaper for sure but not significant , but since OP has the budget i suggested the 18 inch ones.

Then, of course, there's DIY :D . Oh, would love that provided someone is willing to build (pricing can be discussed) or provide detailed guidance since I have a good carpenter and a guy who builds speakers. Hopefully they will be able to do the job. I have been digging into DIY sections and am increasingly being tempted.

Since you mentioned DIY is an option, consider this if it interests you.. Sure deeper response is good, but smoother also is preferred especially in the subwoofer range without much of resonance..

Somewhere you need to balance deeper response, smoother response and in your budget..

I would suggest 4 x 12 inch identical DIY passive sealed subwoofers.. I very recently completed 4 of them in my room, but put them on ceiling.. Since yours is a dedicated space, you should have the liberty to place it close to ideal locations in the room, which is away from room boundaries..

Members have already highlighted the better places in the room for Quad subs..

4 x 12 inch ISWAI drivers = approx 25K.

Cost to build the passive enclosure x 4 = approx 15K.

Cost of 4 channel amplifier Sonodyne SRT 4200 = 60K..

MiniDSP would be a device that you would need = 10K..

Approx for 110K (or) less, you can get close to smoother & deeper response..

Man, those are insane. Superb sound, I am sure. But I want to keep within sane limits :)
I should have said this earlier, I am past the age of action thrillers so I am not looking for room shaking chest thumping bass.
So I think mere 12 inch drivers for me. Or 15 at max.
As I said earlier, I am having multiple uses for this room so floor space is also a little short.

Since you mentioned DIY is an option, consider this if it interests you.. Sure deeper response is good, but smoother also is preferred especially in the subwoofer range without much of resonance..

Somewhere you need to balance deeper response, smoother response and in your budget..

I would suggest 4 x 12 inch identical DIY passive sealed subwoofers.. I very recently completed 4 of them in my room, but put them on ceiling.. Since yours is a dedicated space, you should have the liberty to place it close to ideal locations in the room, which is away from room boundaries..

Members have already highlighted the better places in the room for Quad subs..

4 x 12 inch ISWAI drivers = approx 25K.

Cost to build the passive enclosure x 4 = approx 15K.

Cost of 4 channel amplifier Sonodyne SRT 4200 = 60K..

MiniDSP would be a device that you would need = 10K..

Approx for 110K (or) less, you can get close to smoother & deeper response..
That's probably more like what I need. Would like others to give their opinions on this suggestion.

Also, would it make sense to invest in Class AB subwoofer amp rather than a Class D?
I doubt, class D are efficient, offer great VFM and inuke dsp has on-board dsp capabilities for builds like these. Some say class ab has a better sound, but IMHO the spectrum where a Subwoofer is supposed to perform will be immune to such nuances.
Man, those are insane. Superb sound, I am sure. But I want to keep within sane limits :)

I should have said this earlier, I am past the age of action thrillers so I am not looking for room shaking chest thumping bass.

So I think mere 12 inch drivers for me. Or 15 at max.

As I said earlier, I am having multiple uses for this room so floor space is also a little short.

That's probably more like what I need. Would like others to give their opinions on this suggestion.

And if you have the space and budget you should absolutely go in for overkill even if you won't crank it up, things run cool, have plenty of headroom, larger drivers go lower in frequency spectrum.

Back