Music from Golden era - till late 80s - trivia, anecdotes and everything else

souravin

Starting the thread with debatable Aradhana released in 1969. Music by Sachin Dev Burman and with the omnipresent flavor of Rahul Dev Burman. Mere Sapnon Ki Raani became a craze with the young stars then. The echo in the prelude for He He He on Kora Kagaz Tha Yeh Man Mera was created in the studio. There is a story behind that too in Bhoot Bangla recording. A lots of discussion on Roop Tera Mastana. Amit Kumar also shared a story on his father's contribution in articulating the song. The original composition was something else and it is only Kishore da who suggested the tune for Roop Tera Mastana from an old Sachin da composition. Not sure on the authenticity.

Directed by Shakti Samanta, storyline has been bold and Rajesh Khanna, Kishore Kumar duo has got a kick start since then

Now coming to the vinyl release. 1st Angel pressing has been called off from the market on a complain from Sharmila Tagore on her sweaty armpit visible. Here is it and limited pressing available

Aradhana_LP_1st_F.jpg

Then released the second pressing which is commonly available

Aradhana_LP_2nd_F1.jpg

EP

Aradhana_EP_F.JPG

Bangla LP - not so easily available - Released much later in 1976

IMG_20200119_125749.jpg

Bengali EP - Released much later in 1976

Aradhana _EP_EMI_Bengali_Front.jpg

Shall share the CD versions shortly. Please join in with your thoughts

Its a treasure you have there. Btw Manohari singh (SD's assistant and arranger) also confirms Kishore had some role to play in roop tera mastana tune but rest was all team play. Good info in his interview and how aradhna's music was made.

Thanks saurav for initiating such a nice thread. Now coming to the topic ..... can not say how far this is correct or authentic. But once heard that as regards the song Mere sapno ki raani the director Shakti Samanta was not satisfied. He couldn't say this to Sachin dev but somehow Rahuldev could guess it and told his father to add something new at the very beginning of that song. Luckily the senior Burman was in good humour and did as his son suggested. The result was unique. Again the era (70's and 80's) is regarded as a golden time for the music directors. From apart the Burmans we had laxmikant pyrelal, kalyani Anandji ,Roshan, and our beloved Bappida with his rocking disco. But in the later part of the 80's the lyrics of some songs were not up to the mark and music was not as charming as it was in 70's and even in the first part of the 80's. Though sometimes I think that those not so good songs are even better than what I listen to in some movies today. However, this is my personal feeling.
Cheers

Nice thread Sourav da. ‘Watching’ it. Keep adding.

I see the graph of Hindi Films music akin to that of a company’s/industry’s life-cycle progression:

1940’s: Start-up - experimental stage by founders
1950’s: Growth - talent inflow leading to quality output
1960’s: Maturation - captures market with classic products and proven processes
1970’s: Diversification - innovation and technological advances
1980’s: Decline - compromises on ideology, identity confusion, talent exodus
1990’s: Decay - apathetic to customers, loses market to global entrants

And then further:
2000’s: Takeover by younger generation and revival with new vision
2010’s: Market expansion through global integration and newer platforms

Nice thread Sourav da. ‘Watching’ it. Keep adding.

I see the graph of Hindi Films music akin to that of a company’s/industry’s life-cycle progression:

1940’s: Start-up - experimental stage by founders
1950’s: Growth - talent inflow leading to quality output
1960’s: Maturation - captures market with classic products and proven processes
1970’s: Diversification - innovation and technological advances
1980’s: Decline - compromises on ideology, identity confusion, talent exodus
1990’s: Decay - apathetic to customers, loses market to global entrants

And then further:
2000’s: Takeover by younger generation and revival with new vision
2010’s: Market expansion through global integration and newer platforms
My, that's so spot on.
Helluva way to put it :)

I agree with Sachin Chavan. It is said that poetry declines as civilization advances. This is true for even Bollywood movie and its music. In 40's ,50's and even 60's movies were based on literature and music had Indian classical base. Later in 70's we find a deviation from the trend but then also movies reflected the society and music became innovative. But in the later part of the 80's music and movies both suffered a lot. About 90's it is better to keep silence except the scores of A.R.Rahman. Same is true of Bengali movies ,songs and even TV programs. Can you compare the Bengali movies of the 50's with 90's? About the Bengali movie songs of the 90's the less one talks, the better. Look at the daily soap of the idiot box, there you will find Saans bahu conflict, superstition, illicit relationships etc. So I think music was alive from 40's to 90's ,then it died and now it is alive again for some talented music arranger.
Regards

Depends on generation and therefore age..

Younger people might not agree at this stage when they are young but might agree when they are in the "reminiscing " stage of their lives.

The circle will continue..

IMO of course

But this is a nice thread...

I just checked my copy of Aaradhana LP and mine is not the armpit version....doesn't smell anyways

:))

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Sachin Chavan. It is said that poetry declines as civilization advances. This is true for even Bollywood movie and its music. In 40's ,50's and even 60's movies were based on literature and music had Indian classical base. Later in 70's we find a deviation from the trend but then also movies reflected the society and music became innovative. But in the later part of the 80's music and movies both suffered a lot. About 90's it is better to keep silence except the scores of A.R.Rahman. Same is true of Bengali movies ,songs and even TV programs. Can you compare the Bengali movies of the 50's with 90's? About the Bengali movie songs of the 90's the less one talks, the better. Look at the daily soap of the idiot box, there you will find Saans bahu conflict, superstition, illicit relationships etc. So I think music was alive from 40's to 90's ,then it died and now it is alive again for some talented music arranger.
Regards

Incidentally in 40s bollywood lyrics were not as mature in lyrics as in 50s. We had songs such as meri jaan meri jaan sunday ke sunday. Poetry in bollywood really started with Sahir ludhianvi entering the scene.

Incidentally in 40s bollywood lyrics were not as mature in lyrics as in 50s. We had songs such as meri jaan meri jaan sunday ke sunday. Poetry in bollywood really started with Sahir ludhianvi entering the scene.
Sorry, I beg to differ. In 40's we had composers like Anil Biswas, C Ramachandra, Vasant Desai, Ghulam Haider, S D Burman and Nausad. Poets like Prodeep, Majrooh composed soul touching lyrics and singers like Noorjahan, Geeta Dutt, Rajkumari ,Suraiya, Lata, Hemanta ,Md Rafi and Manna De contributed to development of film songs. If the 40's had that song, then it had also Na Jane kidhar aaj meri naav chali re in the lip of Ashoke Kumar in the movie Jhoola released under the banner of the Bombay talkies and KL Saigal 's Jab dil hi toot gaya. IMO a particular song can never show or represent an era. But you are right as you have told that the songs are matured in the 50's. Actually, in 1949 movies like Baarsat, Mahal, Andaz, Dillagi, Badibahen, were released and people liked the music too. However, Noorjahan and Ghulam Haider went to Pakistan after the tragic partition.
Regards

Sorry, I beg to differ. In 40's we had composers like Anil Biswas, C Ramachandra, Vasant Desai, Ghulam Haider, S D Burman and Nausad. Poets like Prodeep, Majrooh composed soul touching lyrics and singers like Noorjahan, Geeta Dutt, Rajkumari ,Suraiya, Lata, Hemanta ,Md Rafi and Manna De contributed to development of film songs. If the 40's had that song, then it had also Na Jane kidhar aaj meri naav chali re in the lip of Ashoke Kumar in the movie Jhoola released under the banner of the Bombay talkies and KL Saigal 's Jab dil hi toot gaya. IMO a particular song can never show or represent an era. But you are right as you have told that the songs are matured in the 50's. Actually, in 1949 movies like Baarsat, Mahal, Andaz, Dillagi, Badibahen, were released and people liked the music too. However, Noorjahan and Ghulam Haider went to Pakistan after the tragic partition.
Regards

Thats ok. But the level of poetry really catapulted with Sahir coming in the scene in early 50s especially with SD. He was and is still the greatest of lyricists and poets of Hindi cienma and inspired many after him. Before him lyricists were not greatly recognised.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back