Music off the pc

reganluis

Could anyone suggest the best way to get my music (mostly flacs, ape...) from my pc in the bedroom to my Cambridge Azur 340A SE integrated amp in the living room?

Could anyone suggest the best way to get my music (mostly flacs, ape...) from my pc in the bedroom to my Cambridge Azur 340A SE integrated amp in the living room?

1. Copy the music on a usb stick
2. Walk to the Amp in the living room with the usb stick in the hand
3. Place it on top of the amp.

Or

Get a new PC as the source for the audio rack. :eek:hyeah:

--G0bble

The answer used to be Squeezebox, until Logitech discontinued them.

The answer is probably still wireless networking, and I guess there are other products, or the Community Squeeze project.

The Wandboard doesn't seem to have RCA outs and I don't believe this will sound any better than an ordinary sound card in any case. The OP may have an expensive DAC already that will go waste.

--G0bble

a long piece of wire anyone

A much under-rated solution: analogue connection to a good PC soundcard.

But the poster's PC and amplifier are in different rooms. Wireless is a must here.

gobble, don't know about the Wandboard's output. I kind of assumed it was an actual substitute for a Squeezebox, and would have some analogue out --- but a modest-cost DAC would fix that. I must look at Community Squeeze again: my SB won't live for ever!

EDIT: Wandboard has 3.5mm analogue out, which is easy to take to RCA on the amp. It also has TOSLINK.

Last edited:
Yeah, but it won't sound as good as a Xonar ST solution for example, was my thought....
G0bble

Does that work via a remote file mount?Too much work for the OP and prolly beyond the expertise if most people.
G0bble

Wandboard, Raspi... yes, these solutions take a bit of work and maybe include the risk of things not working. It can be a little daunting. I find that about the Community Squeeze site --- and I am not a complete stranger to Unix/Linux.

There are different projects/solutions available for these boards. I guess some will be easier than than others, but those with A--B--C instructions may be the winners for the non-computer-scientists. Anyway, it is a one-off effort, and, at least, does not require a soldering iron.

But the poster's PC and amplifier are in different rooms. Wireless is a must here.

A bit off the record. Growing up, my dad had a long set of wires running from the TV in our living room to the stereo in our bedroom, so that we could listen to chitrahaar songs properly. This was a tiled house, so the wire went up to the false ceiling, over the walls, across our dining room, and into our bedroom

Much later, when we moved into a proper concrete house, mom wanted to listen to Devotional music in the kitchen. We had a spare pair of speakers lying around. I hooked up a set of speaker wires from the amp in the TV room upstairs, halfway around the house through the sunshade, and down a floor, to the kitchen at the back of the house

Why? Read my sig :D

a long piece of wire anyone :D

For this purpose, concealed wiring can be planned & done during the construction stage itself, to inter-connect all the rooms. Two sets of pipes can be installed (one for cable tv & another one for additional needs, like for viewing CCTV monitor, like either from the kitchen or from any of the bedrooms).

If done during construction stage itself, this'll save a lot of hassles afterwards. No need to chip the walls later and the cable management will be neat and clean. The chipping of walls of course will damage the flooring (falling chips) and it requires plastering and painting again.

It does cost additionally, but well worth it!

That's fine, if one is building, but mostly, we are not; we are having to do stuff in an existing house that we hadn't even thought about when we built or bought it.

If I ever build a brand new house, for starters, it will have ethernet cableing to every room. Leave wifi for the portable pocket devices. It will also have trunking/conduit with plenty of space for possible additions. It will add cost, some of which will be unnecessary, but probably worth it.

Of course, there is a limit to the length of hifi interconnects and speaker cables. Ethernet/wifi is the way to go for connecting things that are just too far apart.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back