Music on vinyl or digital format ?

Fantastic

I started a new thread because I could not find another thread where this would fit. It's all about music and whether any medium is better than the other. With people jumping from MP3 to Vinyl or earlier vinyl users coming back to it, it would have been nice if someone could do a controlled test using both mediums with exactly the same sound source specifically to see if they did sound different.

Someone did this. Watch this video to know all about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnxexlHRY2E

In the test referred to in the video the recorded material, mics and other stuff were same for both the digital and analog recordings. But the equipment used to record them was different - a digital tape recorder was used to record the digital version and a analog tape recorder with Dolby B noise reduction was used to record the analog version.

This test should not be used to compare the sound quality of vinyl with digital or analog with digital. This test can only be used to compare the sound quality of the digital tape recorder model and the analog tape recorder model used in the test.

This test should not be used to compare the sound quality of vinyl with digital or analog with digital. This test can only be used to compare the sound quality of the digital tape recorder model and the analog tape recorder model used in the test.

I believe we can't say that. This IS a comparison of what differences we hear between the playback of two different media.
I would think the sound is limited by the weakest link in the chain.
In the digital chain the DAC plus output filter would probably be the weakest link. In the analog chain the weakest would be the vinyl disc itself and it's RIAA playback ( tone arm/cartridge/preamp...apart from other factors).
We can't compare apples to oranges . However we could have preferences on the reproduced sound depending on what our ear tells us , which is different for different people......not to mention various biases we develop for sound over the years.

Technically the vinyl medium introduces a lot of distortion in playback especially due to the tone arm geometry errors and the cartridge itself.
Digital has typically far lower distortion. Additionally the digital system can produce a very flat frequency response whereas the the vinyl playback is never as good as the response of the playback preamp which might be accurate to as low as 0.01dB ( RIAA playback error !). At both ends of the spectrum. HF being particularly bad. Just look at the playback curves even from manufacturers.

But they do point out that if the source signal is identical for both "recording systems" the eventual playback on very good equipment favours the Digital system, for quality. Very easy to hear if you listen to very well recorded drums and instruments and also difficult sounds like wind instruments and even the piano. Digital does beat the analog for accuracy. 30 IPS open reel does sound very good but is also band limited and has higher levels of inherent hiss than an equivalent digital system. The recorded signal on a vinyl disc is far inferior to this.

Medium quality digital ( today most systems are pretty good !) is far better than medium quality analog . A good tone arm and turntable is quite expensive. A medium priced cartridge ( $100/- ?) is not half as good as a very expensive one ( $500/- and more?). Typically good for only about 500 hours of playback because the stylus wears off. With pristine playback conditions it might manage to reach nearer the specified 1000 hours lifetime for the stylus.

In another test they showed how much harmonics were being produced in the analog setup. This colours the sound and depending on where the harmonics are it could appear to sound "rich" ! If we like it, it is because our ear possibly likes that sound over the original distortion free sound.
It's like a musical instrument. The harmonics generated is responsible for instruments to sound different. So all violins don't sound the same. People prefer some violins over the others. But none are really 'bad' !
Here one might prefer the vinyl playback as it has harmonics that maybe one likes ! It's not because it's technically a better playback medium. It's worse for sure. But if we like it, that's where the money will go.

As clearly pointed out, the psychology behind the acquisition ( handling the disc and colourful printed large cover !) and playback of the vinyl disc makes us part of the playback scheme. In digital, the medium is very small and we don't really feel part of it. This will be worse if we used memory devices to play back audio.

It's like a party. If we sit alone with a drink and can't really mingle with the crowd , it will be unexciting. But if we can be part of the party and mingle with everyone , it becomes more enjoyable. Not quite the same thing but something like that !....feeling like we are also involved.....:)

We pick what we 'like to hear' and not because it's really 'better' technically than the others ! So it doesn't matter if the vinyl medium is technically inferior to a good digital system , if we like what it does , then that's what we would pick ! Remember that the mastering engineer has total control over how the music will sound .

To test your own preferences , play your music through a system with just a bit of bass and treble boost of say about 3 db( and maybe mid range lift or cut). Listen to it this way for a couple of days. Then shut off the eq or tone control and listen to it 'flat' again. The music WILL sound flat , lifeless, for a while !

I believe we can't say that. This IS a comparison of what differences we hear between the playback of two different media.

I agree with all your points about digital being better than vinyl but the test referred to in the video cannot be used to compare Vinyl with digital.

The test was done with analog tapes and digital tapes and I think the playback was also done from a analog tape and a transfer to vinyl was not done for the analog recording. Analog tape and Vinyl are analog formats but they do not sound the same, so you cannot judge the sound quality of vinyl by doing a listening test with a analog tape.

so you cannot judge the sound quality of vinyl by doing a listening test with a analog tape.

With rare exceptions ( and expensive ones !) all vinyl is originally mastered on an analog tape ( we leave out the digitally mastered ones ). Direct to disc is also very rare and very expensive.
In audio ,anything added to the signal chain detracts from the original signal, particularly in analog systems. Sometimes it's clearly audible and sometimes not so easily audible.
So vinyl playback will be LESS than perfect than the original analog tape master. It certainly can't be 'better!'. So let's say it's "as good as" being transparent. Then what you are hearing is what is on the analog tape. So the test is still valid. Analog playback from vinyl ( as perfect as it can ever get !) against a 'digital recording' of the same 'source'.

I have 1000+ LP records in the rack behind wall. I have good TT setup with MC cartridge, including all Mogami wires. I can not go there and listen to that setup. Now I am listening Bose Companion multimedia desktop speakers. Music played from 2TB HDD connected to Raspberry Pi2b & HifiBerry DAC+. All music is lossless files FLAC, 320 kbps MP3.

Large difference! Yes but I am enjoying this too though sound quality differs. Because I can listen whatever I want to listen at my finger tip.

So all non measurable sound attributes does matter until you are a gadget freak. If only music matters to you then it could be from any source - vinyl or digital. With sane playback system, it just needs your attention and involvement. That's all! Music listening hobby must be sustainable and you must have passion for it. IMO that gives more satisfaction. Sound source quality either with vinyl pop up or sterile digital output does not matter. I am listening to the music being played.

Last edited:
So vinyl playback will be LESS than perfect than the original analog tape master. It certainly can't be 'better!'. So let's say it's "as good as" being transparent. Then what you are hearing is what is on the analog tape. So the test is still valid. Analog playback from vinyl ( as perfect as it can ever get !) against a 'digital recording' of the same 'source'.

My problem is with the analog master that they made for the test. The problem with the analog master is that they used a cassette recorder to record the analog version. To get the best quality analog recording they should have used a high quality tape machine instead of the cassette recorder.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back