Music streamer with dac

sandyboy101

What options do I have, I know available in Mumbai around my budget are:
Elac discovery
Cambridge Audio cxn v2
Pioneer N 70 AE and N 50 AE
Bluesound Node2
Yamaha WXC-50

Will be using it for Tidal and other streamed music.

Last edited:
@sandyboy101 I have experience with the Bluesound Node 2, Cambridge CXN V2 & the ELAC Discovery.
Last week I auditioned both the Node 2 & the new Node 2i with the NAD Masters amplifier and PSB floor standers, I was not that impressed with either of them. I was left with a feeling that there was more to the music that the Node 2s were not showing.
The new Node 2i had a lot more details than the older Node 2 but I didn't feel it was presenting it in a pleasant way.

As for the Cambridge CXN V2 & the ELAC Discovery, some time ago I auditioned both of them at a dealer, who happened to stock them both, the rest of the chain was the Musical Fidelity Nu Visa amp & Elac Line 407 floor standers.
I had a strong preference for the ELAC Discovery, it was richer, smoother and more laid back and had all the details I needed. The CNX was a bit harsher on the highs and had a more forward & thinner sound.
Sound wise, between these 2, I'd say it really depends on the rest of your gear and your preference.

I personally prefer the ELAC Discovery, I used to own one & regret selling it to a friend, im now plotting how to buy it back from him ;)

Another thing to note with streamers is their control App, I found the Cambridge App garbage for playing Tidal. The BluSound & Roon (essentials) are by far the best out there along with the Naim app.

Cambridge CXN

HiFi Rig: Cambridge Audio Cxn + Musical Fidelity X10 V3 + Quad 405 MK2 + Piega Classic 3.0

@sandyboy101 I have experience with the Bluesound Node 2, Cambridge CXN V2 & the ELAC Discovery.
Last week I auditioned both the Node 2 & the new Node 2i with the NAD Masters amplifier and PSB floor standers, I was not that impressed with either of them. I was left with a feeling that there was more to the music that the Node 2s were not showing.
The new Node 2i had a lot more details than the older Node 2 but I didn't feel it was presenting it in a pleasant way.

As for the Cambridge CXN V2 & the ELAC Discovery, some time ago I auditioned both of them at a dealer, who happened to stock them both, the rest of the chain was the Musical Fidelity Nu Visa amp & Elac Line 407 floor standers.
I had a strong preference for the ELAC Discovery, it was richer, smoother and more laid back and had all the details I needed. The CNX was a bit harsher on the highs and had a more forward & thinner sound.
Sound wise, between these 2, I'd say it really depends on the rest of your gear and your preference.

I personally prefer the ELAC Discovery, I used to own one & regret selling it to a friend, im now plotting how to buy it back from him ;)

Another thing to note with streamers is their control App, I found the Cambridge App garbage for playing Tidal. The BluSound & Roon (essentials) are by far the best out there along with the Naim app.

Thanks Rajeshh,
Was looking for some feed back like that, price and review wise the Elac is looking good, the Pioneer N70 is a bit more expensive with better hardware but hardly any reviews.
An external dac could be added later if these fall short.

The elac doesn’t decode MQA yet

@sandyboy101 The Elac does not do MQA, MQA files when played through the digital out shows 48Hz, the other files are played at 44.1.
Keep in mind that unless you use Tidal or Spotify or have local files, the ELAC is pretty much useless.
For me, my primary digital listening is Tidal master quality streaming, so this works beautifully.

If you are looking at MQA and more music services, and if you are not constraint by buying from India, check out the Project Streambox S2+Project DAC box S2.
Other than that and the Bluesound, I haven't seen anything at this price ranges that does MQA and has provision for varied music services.
If you do find anything, let me know.

@sandyboy101 The Elac does not do MQA, MQA files when played through the digital out shows 48Hz, the other files are played at 44.1.
Keep in mind that unless you use Tidal or Spotify or have local files, the ELAC is pretty much useless.
For me, my primary digital listening is Tidal master quality streaming, so this works beautifully.

If you are looking at MQA and more music services, and if you are not constraint by buying from India, check out the Project Streambox S2+Project DAC box S2.
Other than that and the Bluesound, I haven't seen anything at this price ranges that does MQA and has provision for varied music services.
If you do find anything, let me know.
Thanks, my streaming too is mainly Tidal Hifi and apple music,
Will not having mqa decoding sound different for the masters tunes?
I guess the difference between 48k/96k/192 will be nuanced and dependent on the dac and rest of the system.

What options do I have, I know available in Mumbai around my budget are:
Elac discovery
Cambridge Audio cxn v2
Pioneer N 70 AE and N 50 AE
Bluesound Node2
Yamaha WXC-50

Will be using it for Tidal and other streamed music.
one more option is Marantz M CR611

@Rajeshh I am using the Node 2 for quite sometime. I am looking for an upgrade and do you think the CXN is an upgrade to the node 2?

@smedhavi if you already have a good DAC, it is better to go for something like the ALLO USB or equivalent. My use of the ELAC Discovery was until I upgraded to my current integrated & it has served me quite well.
Currently I use a Ultrarendu feeding the integrated & I do feel that it is a big step up.

@vea I haven't heard the CXN extensively, so I can't comment.

Add Logitech transporter to the list, it's a good streamer and got a very good dac (AKM chip).

Hi
Will Allo Digione Signature transport act as a streamer and can i use its digital coax out to the dac of my audiolab's 6000A amp? Will the SQ of this set up be good over Node 2i and dac of 6000A set up? I am presently on Tidal and spotify and listen them using bluetooth of my phone.I am planning to add a streamer to my system and use the dac of 6000A amp as it posses the same dac as in Audiolab's famous MDac.I welcome any suggestions.
Regards
I'd go for Allo Digione Signature transport as I have a decent DAC already.

Hi
Will Allo Digione Signature transport act as a streamer and can i use its digital coax out to the dac of my audiolab's 6000A amp? Will the SQ of this set up be good over Node 2i and dac of 6000A set up? I am presently on Tidal and spotify and listen them using bluetooth of my phone.I am planning to add a streamer to my system and use the dac of 6000A amp as it posses the same dac as in Audiolab's famous MDac.I welcome any suggestions.
Regards

No one can say for sure which one will perform better in your chain without comparing side by side.

I've read many good things about Node 2i. Haven't heard in person.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back