Music videos faster than album versions?

greenhorn

I was trying to listen to Dil Se songs on youtube when i realized that most of them were running at a higher speed than the mp3 versions.
I then remembered my experience with MTV videos in the same era ( late 90's ) which all seemed to be a bit faster than the albums. In fact, I ended up speeding up my cassette player to ensure that my cassettes played at the same speed, thinking there was a problem with my casette player, and eventually found out that mp3's were 'slow' too. Had forgotten about all that when i ran into these 'fast' music videos?

Any reason why? To save on airtime? to make them sound more peppy?

This is the Pal from film speed up that happens when the master source is created. It is a throwback to the good old days of VHS and DVD and really shouldn't happen anymore. But as most YouTube channels are using old masters of films they still have the Pal speed up. The NTSC TV format doesn't have the same issue as it matches the original film speed of 24 frames per second. Pal is 30 frames per second as far as I can remember.

NTSC is 30 progressive scan frames or 60 interlaced fields per second. PAL is 25 frames or 50 fields per second. Both are based on local AC rate (Hz).

I've noticed the speed up too. Here's one example: https://youtu.be/eaXsjcp0zbw

The CD sounds noticeable slower, with a slightly lower pitch. By comparison, the music video sounds like it was sung by a chipmunk.

Can someone explain how it happens? I understand the difference in fps, but is the conversion process so primitive that they just speed it up?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back