Must/Rare Hindi LP records to be collected.

Garrard2025

Dear friends,

I am new to this forum and happy and proud to be a part of this wonder group.

I have just started collection of LP records and have purchased a few hindi LPs from Flipkart etc. Have also got a Garrard 2025 TC record changer from one of my relative.

Due to space constraints and keeping the LPs in good condition, I am looking to collect "Rare and Must to Collect" Hindi LP Records. Kindly suggest me such LP records so that I can look for such records.

Best wishes,

what exactly do you mean by rare bro?
please identify yourself first. collecting vinyls itself is a passion and now a days, every vinyl is a rare one. however thumb rules for rarity would be better understood if you first understand the availability of vinyls through the age. (following statements would exclusively apply to indian music stuff as most of the western companies are still producing lps. even the old titles could be reissued.)

whenever a title was released, if it got hit, there were subsequent releases until 1990s when lp sales came to near naught. hence, titles like navrang, anarkali or guide though first issued long back(60s), their sporadic sales long after that while vinyls were in vogue(late 80s) ensured that you can get copies of reissues manufactured as late as 1985 or 90. such titles though arent really rare, they were nevertheless famous for the reason. you d rarely come across a forgotten song thats better than yesteryears 'un'forgotten gems that to this day get aired on fm. hence they are true musical titles but not really rare (unless we get a first issue.)
now in short, let me list a few titles which are not rare by a long mile. however they are absolutely must haves for a listner(no comments on list please as this is a highly subjective issue. i m going by popular choice and hits. and limiting to filmi stuff. needless to say this isn t a be all and end all list)
here you go:
chaudhavin ka chand,guide, teesri manzil, anarkali, mughal e azam, madhumati, guide, cid, jaal, mr and mrs 55, jewel thief, seema, ...........
more recent titles are- umrao jaan, navrang, sadma, all r d burman titles etc.
firther there are few which i ve termed 'fm hits' are the recent songs released during lp era and aired on fm , going down well with todays youth-
masoom, ghar, ijazat, saath saath, arth, yadon ki barat, etc etc etc.
the question is why exactly do you wish to get these titles?? they wont fetch you millions down the decades.
if you want to listen to them, then go ahead with whatever old songs you ve grown up with. socialize and get songs of your chioce from other vinyl buffs.
by the way how old are you?
edit: to come to the rare part of your query. many a titles , for various reasons picked up well after their sell by dates. such titles weren t issued in large numbers as their demand/sales (which was a function of popular taste back then) werent too big and didn t sell in huge numbers. they are not available often. BUT, when their time came, they were sought after by many but vinyl production ceased by this time. so supplies in used lp markets dried up and these titles sell expensive now.
eg. ijazat, parinda, masoom etc.
i can vouch that r d burman and ashaji s charisma has increased many folds with passage of time. not to say they weren t hit in their own time but they are ahem much much adored now then they were in their era. so alibaba chalis chor s khatooba (remixed long back) was a title which didn t sell too much back then, wasn t produced in huge numbers and consequently is rare and sought after now.
though only 2 songs come to mind from this title- khatooba and jaadoogar jaadugar jayega. this is a rare title though not necessarily best or not even up there with best.
further, there are titles which are too rare in itself but were easily available in best of/compilations later on. and then some which weren t. so some titles could fetch as much as rs10-20-25 k from collectorstoday.
a title released on ep had rafi saab singing english songs-2 in total. now thats uncommen if not outright rare.
another of his ep had 2 compositions, sehra aur doli- wedding songs in a movie by same name. sehra is for happy thumpings on grooms side when they are going to get the guy his lifemate. doli - people say will make you forget his sother signature song on same theme- babul ki duayen leti ja. now if this one somehow gets aired/youtubed and gets a following so much so that people want to listen to it , people want to listen to its ep- now that ll be a rare title.
so. tell us what you intend to do with these rare titles and well make suggestions accordingly. do you just want good musical titles to listen to from past era even if they aren t rare??

Last edited:
Dear entsurgen,

Thank you for your elaborate and detailed reply. As indicated in my first mail, I have just started collection of LP records. I have got a few Malayalam LPs/EPs from one of my friend and also a Garrard 2025 TC Record Player.

I am looking to collect a few Hindi records and hence the query. Now I will look for the records as suggested by you.

Regards,

hemantwaghe - thanks for your offer. will get in touch with you with the list of records required.

Hi,

All above responses are valid - however, my two cents worth :

Collect the following LPs - for the sheer listening pleasure of the singers, lyricists
and music directors. Plus, the fact that you do not have to keep getting up to
skip 'unwanted' tracks which invariably are inserted inbetween two good tracks.

Lata Mangeshkar - From Lata with Love, All Time Favourites of Lata, Haunting
Melodies of Lata. In fact - any Lata LP !!!!
Mohd. Rafi - An Evening to Remeber, Ghazals of Mohd. Rafi, Top 10 Hits of Rafi
Hemant Kumar - Film Hits of Hemant Kumar
Talat Mahmood - Ghazals from Films, In a Blue Mood
Geeta Dutt - In Memoriam, Film Hits
Manna Dey - Film Hits of Manna Dey

Woh Kun Thi, Mera Saya, Anpadh, Heer Ranjha - for Madan Mohan's music
Anarkali or Albela - for C.Ramchandra's music
Guide or Teen Deviyan - for S.D. Burman's music
Tarana - for Anil Biswas's music
Mahal - for Khemchand Prakash's music
Aakhri Khat - for Khayyam's music
Kali Ghata, Basant Bahar, Anari, Junglee, etc. - for Shankar Jaikishan's music
Rattan, Babul, Mother India, Baiju Bawra, Shabab, etc. - for Naushad's music
Phagun, Humsaya - for O.P. Nayyar's music
Paakeezah, Mirza Ghalib - for Ghulam Mohammad's music
Bazar, Lahore - for Shamsundar's music
Aansoo, Badi Bahen - for Husnalal Bhagatram's music
Chote Nawab, Pyar Ka Mausam, Amar Prem - for R.D. Burman's music
Bhabhi, Akash Deep, Vaasna, Oonche Log, Opera House, Guest House,etc. - for
Chitragupta's music
Bharosa, Gumrah, Waqt - for Ravi's music
Parasmani, Shagird, Aaye Din Bahar Ke, etc. - for Laxmikant Pyarelal's music
Saraswati Chandra, Post Box 999, Jab Jab Phhol Khile, Himalay Ki God Mein - for
Kalyanji Anandji's music

and the list can go on....

Regards,
LaRa.

i ve said this earlier in some thread and i m saying this again.... lara for president lara for president. :p
seriously, most of the titles mentioned above wouldn t make you change /skip tracks every 2 songs.
i now propose we elaborate each title as and when it comes to your mind brothers. its better than enlisting the titles only.
so here goes:
nagin: Nagin - Google Music Search
has lots of popular songs including man dole mera tan dole,mera dil ye pukare aaja by lataji. hemantda s tere dwar khada ek jogi has classical touch to it. teri yaad me jalkar dekh liya would tell you what legendary lyrics means.
o zindagi ke denewale and mera badli me chhup gaya chand are popular but not heard very often. are good.
but i play this lp for especially the following songs:
jadugar saiyyan and oonchi oonchi duniya ki deewairein saiyyan tod ke mai aayi re tere liye saara jag chhod ke.
now if you analyse the above 2songs' lyrics, you ll realise that such an expression would never be found with such reverence in western songs due to a difference in culture and societal barriers. makes me feel we are blessed to have hailed from eartern cultures.
(more notes on more titles to come. right now i must head for my clinic.)

Hi,

All above responses are valid - however, my two cents worth :

Collect the following LPs - for the sheer listening pleasure of the singers, lyricists
and music directors. Plus, the fact that you do not have to keep getting up to
skip 'unwanted' tracks which invariably are inserted inbetween two good tracks.

Lata Mangeshkar - From Lata with Love, All Time Favourites of Lata, Haunting
Melodies of Lata. In fact - any Lata LP !!!!
Mohd. Rafi - An Evening to Remeber, Ghazals of Mohd. Rafi, Top 10 Hits of Rafi
Hemant Kumar - Film Hits of Hemant Kumar
Talat Mahmood - Ghazals from Films, In a Blue Mood
Geeta Dutt - In Memoriam, Film Hits
Manna Dey - Film Hits of Manna Dey

Woh Kun Thi, Mera Saya, Anpadh, Heer Ranjha - for Madan Mohan's music
Anarkali or Albela - for C.Ramchandra's music
Guide or Teen Deviyan - for S.D. Burman's music
Tarana - for Anil Biswas's music
Mahal - for Khemchand Prakash's music
Aakhri Khat - for Khayyam's music
Kali Ghata, Basant Bahar, Anari, Junglee, etc. - for Shankar Jaikishan's music
Rattan, Babul, Mother India, Baiju Bawra, Shabab, etc. - for Naushad's music
Phagun, Humsaya - for O.P. Nayyar's music
Paakeezah, Mirza Ghalib - for Ghulam Mohammad's music
Bazar, Lahore - for Shamsundar's music
Aansoo, Badi Bahen - for Husnalal Bhagatram's music
Chote Nawab, Pyar Ka Mausam, Amar Prem - for R.D. Burman's music
Bhabhi, Akash Deep, Vaasna, Oonche Log, Opera House, Guest House,etc. - for
Chitragupta's music
Bharosa, Gumrah, Waqt - for Ravi's music
Parasmani, Shagird, Aaye Din Bahar Ke, etc. - for Laxmikant Pyarelal's music
Saraswati Chandra, Post Box 999, Jab Jab Phhol Khile, Himalay Ki God Mein - for
Kalyanji Anandji's music

and the list can go on....

Regards,
LaRa.

what about good old Bappi Lahiri :lol:

Thanks LaRa for the elaborate and specific reply. Will try to get these Lps.

entsurgen: In my town, there is no source of LPs. I am frequently vistiing Mumbai /Delhi for official work and will try there with the help of my friends. I am digging various threads in our forum to get the numbers/addresess of LP vendors in Mumbai/Delhi.

all the best dear.
madhumati 's each and every song is a legend. right from suhana safar aur ye mausam hansii to toote hue khwabon ne which is one of those few songs where lataji sings along with rafisaab and mukesh.
chadh gayo papi bichhua is a legendary song with simple yet brilliant lyrics. wonderful one.
dil tadap tadap ke kah raha hai is is a very famous duet. however for those blue moments mubarak beghum s hum haal e dil sunayenge suniye ke na suniye is one wonderful gem. not heard very often these days, its a must listen.

Jaam dekar wo ye kahte hain k peena hoga, zahar dete hain mujhe kahte hain k peena hoga....... Jab mai peeta hun to kahte hain k marta bhi nahi, jab mai marta hun to kahte hain k jeena hoga. Ye ishq ishq hai ishq ishq!
Barsaat ki raat has legendary quawwalis as well as rafi saab s zindagi bhar nhi bhoolegi.., maine shayad tumhe pahle bhi kahin dekha hai. Classical based garjat barsat saawan aayo re and another famous quawwali nigaah e naaz k maaro ka haal kya hoga with ashaji as lead singer.
5 on 5 title. This one is exclusively remembered for popularising quawwalis.
a parody in colleges went- na to lecturer ki talash hai na demonstrator ki talash hai... Jo picnic k naam pe chhutti de us proffesor ki talash hai. Probably the most timeless quawwalis of all time na to kaarvan ki talash hai is from this movie

Last edited:
After long heard Anupama lp. What a soundtrack.

Agree. The main three numbers leave you with a haunting feeling.
Dheere dheer machal - unbelievablely lovely Lata number; like Lata says about Hemantda, 'One who is himself a good music composer and singer - such a person would get the best out of another artiste'.
'Kuchh Dil ne Kaha' - An intense, emotion-laden anthem for shy, retiring souls.
Just listen to the divine voice of Lata - there's hardly any music in the stanzas - just the voice.
Ya Dil ki suno - Hemant's solo and picturized so well by Hrishida. Haunting in
its pathos and helplessness.

Hi LaRa

Is the Aakhri Khat lp worth sourcing. I have Rut Jawan and Baharon Mera Jeevan on compilation lps. I have not heard the other tracks from Aakhri Khat.

If theres a sfumato style in music , kuchh dil ne kaha is its example. The music emanates from beyond some kinda veil.
@prem- you kidding mate. Listen to aur kuchh der thahar, the soft romantic number beutifully sung by rafi saab. To me this is the song worth hunting this lp for. Listen and decide for urself. However this is also a famous one that might be found in rafisaab s compilations.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks LaRa for the elaborate and specific reply. Will try to get these Lps.

entsurgen: In my town, there is no source of LPs. I am frequently vistiing Mumbai /Delhi for official work and will try there with the help of my friends. I am digging various threads in our forum to get the numbers/addresess of LP vendors in Mumbai/Delhi.

Please visit kolkata.Best source for used LP in India.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back