My 2nd HT: Marantz with KEFs

canchi

Folks,
Have finally got my 2nd HT set-up in place.
Marantz PM 6004 Amp
KEF Q300 Bookshelves
PS3 Slim as the BDP
LG LED 3D 42" LW5700
Hathway SD set-top box
Dell Studio Laptop

I use this mainly for music listening and occasionally for movies/TV, I use my first HT set-up now mainly for movies and TV.
Here are some pics of my new HT......

Canchi
Your set up looks wonderful. How does the Marantz+kef combo sound? I have a Marantz Pm 6002 and am looking to change my speakers. Is it fast and punchy? Whats your source for playing CDs? The dell or the PS3?

Thanks docd and Jay.
The combo sounds great. The KEFs were great on the bass out of the box, the highs were initially not great. But burning them in, now, they have opened up and are sounding excellent. I don't have to go beyond the 11 o'clock poistion on the volume knob of the Marantz to produce adequate sound to fill the room.
docd, you should audition your amp with different bookshelf speakers including the KEFs and decide for yourself which sounds best to your ears!
Have used both the ps3 and the dell as source for CDs, the ps3 sounds marginally better. But really,the sound I get out of the laptop, (without a usb dac) is not bad at all!

Nice setup. I also have KEF Q300 and I have paired it with Rotel RA-1520. I am interested in the stand in the photo. Can you tell me about the stand

Congrats & combo choice is very good.I liked Q300 with Denon stereo amp.Yes Bass is much better as BS.

Awesome mate. Sure does look good.

Did you test the Dell laptop soundcard/DAC or PS3 against any particular DAC?

Awesome mate. Sure does look good.

Did you test the Dell laptop soundcard/DAC or PS3 against any particular DAC?
Nope, I did not. Felt the sound from the laptop directly connected to the amp was good enough.:D
But I will need to audition the sound from the laptop thru an USB DAC and then decide! Am looking at the Emotiva XDA-1
But am uncertain about the need for a DAC until I audition it and hear the difference.....

Congrats & combo choice is very good.I liked Q300 with Denon stereo amp.Yes Bass is much better as BS.

Now that is interesting. I actually auditioned the KEFs with a Denon stereo amp at Profx, liked the sound of the KEFs very much; found the marantz amp to be equally good, but with better mids ( read carnatic classical vocal) and decided to go for the latter amp.

Folks,
Have finally got my 2nd HT set-up in place.
Marantz PM 6004 Amp
KEF Q300 Bookshelves
PS3 Slim as the BDP
LG LED 3D 42" LW5700
Hathway SD set-top box
Dell Studio Laptop

I use this mainly for music listening and occasionally for movies/TV, I use my first HT set-up now mainly for movies and TV.
Here are some pics of my new HT......

Hi,friend, just one stupid question:
Did you put your speakers on the stand directly or by screws to handle them? Thanks.

very very nice set up kanchi..one question whats your room size.as you mentioned you are completly satisfied with these bs....as for my future upgrade I am also thinking od bs instead of fs...my room 15*12...
also very nice to know that direct from your laptop into your amp....is sounding so good.
you used normal cable or a very speacial one??from 3.5 female jack of laptop into int amp??

Last edited:
Room size is 18x14 ft. I used a normal cable to connect the laptop (3.5mm jack) to the amp (rca). But since I bought the MF V DAC II, the sound from the laptop appears much enhanced and better ! See this thread

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back