My Audio Amplifier

Ravindra Desai

Hello All,

I have showcased My Digital Audio Processor here: https://www.hifivision.com/threads/my-digital-audio-processor.69340/
In this thread I will showcase My Audio Amplifier which together with the processor can be used effectively for any application that uses 1 to 6 channels. Of course, for more than 3 channels, you will need a second amplifier board.
In my opinion, this amplifier and processor combo produces top quality sound that easily rivals systems x10 its cost.

The amplifier is based on tried and trusted LM1875 IC and as you can see in the pictures it accommodates a linear power supply. To the best of my knowledge, this board should leave nothing to desire.

The amplifier can withstand AC variations from 190V to 270V and is un-conditionally stable from 0E to 8E
It is 4 layer FR4 board with 70uM copper thickness, uses star grounding for no audible noise.
I have made careful choices of the components, especially the capacitors, as is the need in audio applications. The heat-sink size is chosen based on worst case power dissipation and therefore allows prolonged listening times without any issues.
In a 2.1CH configuration, the on-board relay allows you to switch between stereo (L,R,SW) and surround (C,S,SW). 2.1CH surround is a novelty that I had introduced in 1994 in Padma theater in Kolhapur and subsiquently 4 more theaters in Maharashtra. But more about that later, elsewhere.

Though LM1875 is only 20Wrms chip-amp, with my processor, it is more that sufficient for a room size of 20ft x 20ft.
I will detail out other specialties my processor + amp combo offers elsewhere soon.

I hope that you like it.

Enjoy!
Regards,

Ravindra.

Attachments

• My Audio Amplifier- Without ICs and Heatsink.GIF
    My Audio Amplifier- Without ICs and Heatsink.GIF
    472.3 KB · Views: 319
  • My Audio Amplifie- Fully Assembled.GIF
    My Audio Amplifie- Fully Assembled.GIF
    456 KB · Views: 319
Nice Work Bro... I am not much fond of the Chip amps but would like to know did you purchased those wima caps online or they were sourced locally?

Nice Work Bro... I am not much fond of the Chip amps but would like to know did you purchased those wima caps online or they were sourced locally?

Sorry to take this thread off topic but like you I also thought chip amps and class d amps are just for playing loud and have no finesse

This was until I heard Linux gurus lm3886 kit and also a very expensive class d integrated amp

The LM3886 had such sweet sound that it made it a superb amp to pair with any analogue source and the class d had such transparency that it was a treat to listen it. Totally unforced music

Sorry to take this thread off topic but like you I also thought chip amps and class d amps are just for playing loud and have no finesse

This was until I heard Linux gurus lm3886 kit and also a very expensive class d integrated amp

The LM3886 had such sweet sound that it made it a superb amp to pair with any analogue source and the class d had such transparency that it was a treat to listen it. Totally unforced music

To be very true (please do not take my statement in a rude or a negative way) ... But when i shifted to Class A amp.. I didn't at all liked the sound stage of chip amps and class AB or Class D Amps, no matter how nicely they are designed or built.

I have built Jean Hiraga 30 Watt Class A Amplifier and nothing has ever come even closer to it, The mids and highs are so detailed and clean & even the Bass is too good..... once you power on the amp and play some music... you will be literally forced to listen to the sound..you just can stop the music when it is playing.

Yesterday i completed another Jean Hiraga Amplifier Hiraga Le Monstre an 8 Watt Class A Amp. Be-live me the sound it produces ... its just like Angels singing from Heaven. It dose lacks some Bass but the vocals....they are Beautiful.

Sadik

did you purchased those wima caps online or they were sourced locally?

Wow! you noticed the Wima caps!!
I tend not to purchase anything locally. I purchase all my stuff from Element14, RS India or Digikey. However, you may find something on DIYAudiocart.com

I will soon be inviting members to review my A/ V Receiver. Currently I am framing the guidelines for the same. Then my system can travel to any part of the country for people to experience it.

I also have one based on TDA7293. The only reason I chose it over LM3886 is because it allows me to easily parallel them to get 160Wrms/4E that I use in cinema theaters for all the channels except the Subwoofer.

I will hear this class d at ravindras place.I will take my sansui au555 with me.

I will have my Crosley turntable ready for you. It has line out. Bring the new vinyl set as well as something you know at the back of your head

Regards,

Ravindra.

Attachments

• Crosley Portable Turntable.GIF
    Crosley Portable Turntable.GIF
    125.3 KB · Views: 125
To be very true (please do not take my statement in a rude or a negative way) ... But when i shifted to Class A amp.. I didn't at all liked the sound stage of chip amps and class AB or Class D Amps, no matter how nicely they are designed or built.

I have built Jean Hiraga 30 Watt Class A Amplifier and nothing has ever come even closer to it, The mids and highs are so detailed and clean & even the Bass is too good..... once you power on the amp and play some music... you will be literally forced to listen to the sound..you just can stop the music when it is playing.

Yesterday i completed another Jean Hiraga Amplifier Hiraga Le Monstre an 8 Watt Class A Amp. Be-live me the sound it produces ... its just like Angels singing from Heaven. It dose lacks some Bass but the vocals....they are Beautiful.

Sadik
I would like to know whether all the parts especially good quality volume control, PCB and transformer are readily available in India inorder assemble it,If so please give the address and details of dealers or sites.

I would like to know whether all the parts especially good quality volume control, PCB and transformer are readily available in India inorder assemble it,If so please give the address and details of dealers or sites.

Hi AK R

Mine is Power Amp (Jean Hiraga) so no need for volume control, PCB's Are DIY made myself, components were purchased locally as well as online from element14, Transformer was purchased from Torotrans (Pune) Very good quality & reasonable price.

I would say this (Jean Hiraga 30 watt Class A) is very complex amplifier and needs a good amount of investment specially for Power Supply & Heat Sinks. I will not recommend this amplifier for a beginner.

Please Check this site : The Audio Crafts Here you can get good quality components.

Regards,
Sadik

Hi AK R

Mine is Power Amp (Jean Hiraga) so no need for volume control, PCB's Are DIY made myself, components were purchased locally as well as online from element14, Transformer was purchased from Torotrans (Pune) Very good quality & reasonable price.

I would say this (Jean Hiraga 30 watt Class A) is very complex amplifier and needs a good amount of investment specially for Power Supply & Heat Sinks. I will not recommend this amplifier for a beginner.

Please Check this site : The Audio Crafts Here you can get good quality components.

Regards,
Sadik
Dear Sadik,
I have heard your name from many FM.
May I know the cost of Fully assembled Jean Hiraga 30 Watts Class A amplifier?
Sincerity yours,
Dr Khanwelkar

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back