My Audition for new system.

vinsks

Finally the day had arrived. Yesterday me, my wife and Dheeraj (one of the member of Hifivision) visited Bass N Treble for audition, where we met Mr. Denny Joseph, owner and really very nice person. We were there approximately for 1.5 hour, Denny listen all our queries and answered them well. I think that we cannot get such a detailed audition in any other store.
We went there for audition Wharfdale & Norge 1000 combo, as this is most recommended combo for a start. We asked same with Denny and he told that he have only one Norge amp that is 2060 and that is the last one, as they stopped stocking Norge :sad:. Because as per him, Norge is not at that level so that he should recommend that to his customer.

So let me start the whole story of our audition. We start with about Dennys view for Norge. Denny said that Norge is a good amp but only to start but as listening grows by time then you will feel that there is something missing, and when you listen a good system then you will start chasing for new one. Then you will sold old Norge and buy another new system, and by this you will waste more money. Second thing he mentioned that there is distortion with Norge in high volume (more that 50%) and then it will sound harsh. He told that he will play some other amps along with Norge and then you will able to feel that difference and will realize why he is not recommnding Norge.
When I asked about specification of the other system that he have, then he answered 40 watts rms per channel (just :sad:). Then my question was, does that able to drive wharfdale 9.2 as that is a power hungry speakers. He replied that it will not only easily drive wharf 9.2 but also able to drive much more powerful speakers then that. He also stated that 40 % of the volume is sufficient to drive wharf 9.2 to blow anything.

I brought some of my CDs for audition and I gave him first Abhijeet Pohankars - Pia Bawri and ask to play title song (my all time favorite). He used Panasonic DVD player (not remember the model #) as source.
Then he connect Wharf 9.2 with AudioLabs (not remember the model #) he sets the volume at 40% and start playing CD. Then demo was full of music. Music was that loud enough that we have to shout to listened each other. Combo was sounded awesome, very detailed and extremely pleasant. Each and every beat & string is clear to our ears. Vocals are very real.
Then he connected Wharf 9.2 with Norge2060 and played same song. Combo was sounding good but something was missing. But being novice we were able to find difference. But as volume increase more than 50% combination was sounding bit harsh :mad:.

We asked the price of audioLabs amp, then Denny smiled and updated that this was a discontinued model and the equivalent model was costing more than 1 lakh :mad:. Then denny updates that he is not recommending Audiolabs to us he just want to introduce us with good sounds. He said that he will recommend Marantz over Norge. And we have to increase our budget lil bit. He said that listen Marantz with wharf 9.2 then rethink about this combo. He told that right now he have Marantz PM6003 and gave audition with that. But for us he will recommend Marantz PM5003 and that will comfortably drive wharf 9.2 . Price of Marantz PM6003 is 25k and Marantz PM5003 is 20k.

He connected wharf 9.2 with Marantz PM6003 and played Pia Bawri. This combo was sounding awesome far better than Norge and very detailed. Then Played Black Friday-Bandeh (Indian Ocean). Dere Straits and some other rock and Jazz numbers. All songs are sounding so fresh, as I am listening them for first time However I listen them every day.

We asked Denny that does he have Denon Amp? he told that he did not keep Denon amps as it is bit bright and Marantz is more musical than any other amps in this range. I asked how about Denon AVR he told that Denon AVR are extremely good, but for music its not in comparison with stereo amps. Then he connected Denon 1910 with wharf9.2, 9CS, for surround he uses some satellites speakers (forget the name) Polk Audio sub (wharf SW150 was out of stock) he played movie G.I. Joe The Rise Of Cobra this combination was awesome effect are really good. When we played music on 1910 on pure stereo mode with just wharf 9.2 it was sounding good. But I can say that this was not as detailed as Norge2060 so no comparison with Marantz.

Conclusion:
- AudioLabs + Wharfdale9.2: Extremely Musical very detailed sound. But very expensive. So out of the league.
- Marantz + Wharfdale9.2: Extremely Musical very detailed sound. Just have to increase budget lil bit. You will not regret for spending more.
- Norge + Wharfdale9.2: Sounds Good and musical but not as detailed as with audioLabs and Marantz but Good when volume is less than 50%. You will opt this if you havent listen Marantz. But still far better than SONY and other relevant brands.
-Denon + Wharfdale9.2, 9CS, for surround (9.0 or 9DFS) & Sub Wharfdale SW150 (as recommended by Denny): Excellent setup for movies even good for music but lacking with compare to stereo amps.

Me and My wife decided to choose Marantz PM5003 and wharf9.2 combo and will think later for my home theater setup (not in near future). And I think same was the choice of Dheeraj as well.

Your suggestion are welcome.

I am not an expert. I wrote as i feel during the audition. Please Put your review and guide me properly.
regards
Vinay

You have written your views very nicely. Why do you want anyones guide
now?. You seem to have taken the correct decision.

Marantz is know to be musical and Wharf 9.2 is a very good speaker
(I auditioned it recently) besides it is recommended by most here so
you have a very good combination.

Enjoy your music.

Why dont you audition nad and cambridge audio as well?.so you will have more options/more confusion! to choose from.anyway try nad with wharf they are suppsd! to sound good togethr!.anyway always audition always wit cd's/music you really listn to instead of what the shop walla plays/flaunts!

vinsks, Nice report of your audition! Good to know that you are going for separate stereo and HT setups. What about your source?
Just like you decided to see what other amps could do the job other than Norge, why dont you check out other Bookshelves in the same price range.
What do you plan to do about your source?

@sivakuru
Thanks my friend to encrage me. Till now my mind is set. Soon i will going to purchase this combo.

@metalmickey
nad and cambridge audio both are not available at Bass N Treble. Denny also suggest us to audition them as well. But question is that other dealer will also gave such a detail demo. as i know most of the dealer here in delhi are not willing to give proper demo. just want you to purchase without asking much question. because they dont have answer and they dont have much details of the products that they are selling.

You said well to bring own CDs and music for audition. i did the same. apart from that Denny have played that i have asked him to play. He have good collection of music.

@iaudio
Thanks my friend. Priviously I thought that i will go for one system for Music and HT perpose but due to budget issue i have decided to start with stereo setup with Wharf 9.2 & Norge1000. and upgrade later by adding more component (AVR, center speaker & sub so on). But as of now i am in love with Marantz and wharf9.2 combo. now i am also aware that an AVR will not fulfill my music need. So once i will purchase this combo i cannot think of any upgrade near future. for HT may be I will go for Edifier DA5000Pro for that duration. ;)

for Music i have MP3, FLAC and only few CDs. currantly as a source i have my computer with creative sound blaster, i know that's not a musical sound card. but i may upgrade Asus Xonar later not now or will go for and decent DVP player (but not now).:lol::D

apart from wharf 9.2 i have listen wharf 9.6 with marantz, as wharf 9.5 were not available there. Denny have Polk Audio, Quad and he told that he also stock Moniter Audio but not in stock right now. however Quad and MA but are called very musical but more expencive. so i did not audition them ;). and i was happy with Wharf 9.5 as they sound according to my need. :yahoo:

@magma, @hemantwaghe, @kittu1977, @marsilians.
Thanks you all. for reading my review.

You have done well & expressed well.I had written long back that Norge were harsh with Tannoy F1 & you too found similar on high volume.They matches well with Norge spk though.We have compared Norge & Marantz with F1 & Jamo.

@spirovious
Thanks my friend.
Regarding that norge is harsh on high volume. When Denny first told me about this issue on phone. i wasnt believe him. same was the situstion at his place before audition. Denny told that listen Norge with other brands then you will able to see the difference. Norge indeed a good amp untill you listen Marantz. Its good at low volume but become harsh when volume increse more than 50%. Any how Marantz is more musical. :clapping::yahoo:

Hi
I can understand ur excitement but a word of caution. Dont know about this Denny but dont get carried away by their glib talk coz barring few, most of the dealers have more concern for their bottom lines than ur musical satisfaction. Now no flames please. Im speaking from experience.

Hi
I can understand ur excitement but a word of caution. Dont know about this Denny but dont get carried away by their glib talk coz barring few, most of the dealers have more concern for their bottom lines than ur musical satisfaction. Now no flames please. Im speaking from experience.

Hey Captn.

I definitely agree with your post about many dealers being that way.

On the other hand, I can testify that Denny isnt from that batch. He is very good with his advices. He has had many chances where in he could have sold stuff to me. However, his recommendations is always based on what is good for the buyer. When I had once said to him that I'd like to get my HT construction done by him.. he said that it will cost a lot more if I get it done through him.. He advised me to go DIY route and said he will come by time and again and guide for no fees what so ever! He is ready to do all this even though I havent bought anything from him yet !

From my little experience so far, this is hard to find in the hi-fi arena!

@captrajesh
Sorry to say. But i said what ever i feel.
I think this is place where we can discuss the thing. and senior member will guide accordingly.
I did not said that Norge is bad. I dont know where it hurts your feeling. my apologies for that.

Nice to hear that OP is in safe hands. Seeing his post I could feel the weight of his expectations so thought of giving him a pc of advice.;)

@jitubisht
thanks man.
I am totally agree with you. Denny is excellent person. he also told me to audition some other brands as well before choosing Marantz.

Last edited:
@sivakuru
for Music i have MP3, FLAC and only few CDs. currantly as a source i have my computer with creative sound blaster, i know that's not a musical sound card. but i may upgrade Asus Xonar later not now or will go for and decent DVP player (but not now).:lol::D

Hi dude,
Thank you for your detailed post.How will you play FLAC and audio CDs because almost none of the players play FLAC.I think your are going to use your computer sound card's stereo output but most of the members hear are not recommending this.What is the cost of panasonic DVD player used for demo.

Last edited:
@iaudio
thanks for you suggestion mate. i will definately try to check them out.

@rajuwaste
I use winamp to play FLAC files. there are other players as well that support FLAC. and you can use media player like WD TV, Asus O Play etc for the same. dont know about the price for that DVD player

Back