My current setup(s)

those large windows.... they are very nice..

does the LF sometimes cause resonance and if so are you using and treatment / small diffuser / or sealing the window frame guideway so they hold up ?

I happened to be in DXB last week and visited Audissey ( i read about your AR VSi 60 amp on this thread ) and auditioned the AR VSI 75.... but thats another story..another day..

regards
mpw

Hello MPW!

The large windows contain thick glass encased in UPVC frames and channels. There are 3 panes to each window and each pane has a lever type lock which thrusts it into the next pane, effectively making an air and sound tight seal. Once locked in place, there is absolutely no play between the 3 panes and the channels and the whole thing becomes one rigid heavy duty glass window. So no chance of any rattling induced by LF waves.

Next time you visit Dubai please do let me know. Shall be happy to meet you there. And I also look forward to hearing your impressions of the VSI 75!

Cheers

Thanks for the invitation. Definitely would llike to visit and hear your setup(s).
Very interesting to read about your speakers and amp selection.

Thanks again for sharing! ++

Seems like my comment via mobile didn't get posted.

@soundstage, It was fun reading the way you described your setup. Felt like reading a pro review on an av magazine :thumbsup:

Thank you, kind Sir......I am indeed flattered, but I am a pure novice in such matters!

Glad you enjoyed reading through, though!

Best

Last edited:
Excellent setup there. It is very seldom one can see a symmetric arrangement for both the speaker when done in living room. It is actually looking like a dedicated audio place with additional sofas on the sides.

That's a bold move to accommodate 4 full length bass traps right inside the living room. But it is very nicely done and got blended very well with the interior.

Thank you Koushik!

Actually, it -is- a dedicated listening room, as the Living Room is elsewhere, but it is also meant to double up as an additional entertaining area when there are more guests.

The bass traps are 2 ft wide and I was fortunate to get a fabric of a colour which blends in quite well with the walls, so they don't stand out as an eyesore.

Cheers

I always like clutter free set-ups...
Both your setups are clean and crisp!
I am sure they sound great too.
Congrats.

Thanks @Soundstage, definitely will visit to experience the joy whenever I will have any opportunity to visit Pune. :)

Loved the review for your set-up, nice read.

Thank you very much for your kind words!

I live in Kharadi, but am currently away on business for a few weeks. Shall be glad to let you know on my return.

Cheers

Thank you very much for your kind words!

I live in Kharadi, but am currently away on business for a few weeks. Shall be glad to let you know on my return.

Cheers

Lovely setup you have. I too stay in Kharadi (Gera Skyvillas). Have a tube amp with electrostatic speakers. We should meetup once.

All this talk on the forum about Magnepans evoked in me a strong longing to listen to my beloved Maggies again, so last weekend, after a gap of close to 3 years, got them out of the mothballs, hooked them up to my trusty Teac VRDS10/Benchmark DAC1/MF Superchargers combinationandfell in love with my humble music collection all over again.

One observation I feel I must share here. In my earlier room which was 12 feet wide, placing them with the tweeters outwards as recommended by the manufacturers resulted in a somewhat vague and diffused sound which was not really palatable to my ears. Placing them inside brought the imaging back into focus and improved the presentation considerably so thats how I placed them for the length of the time I listened to them extensively. In my current 16 feet wide listening room however, I find that placing the tweeters outside takes them to a whole new plane altogether. The centre fill, some 6-7 feet behind the speakers, feels rock solid, imaging excellent, and the soundstage has expanded to the wall boundaries and even beyond. Possibly, in the earlier room, with the tweeters just about 18-20 inches away from the side walls, the higher frequencies were bouncing off and arriving at the listening position considerably out of sync with the direct waves. Now with about 4 feet of real estate in between, the first reflections do not seem to interfere with the direct waves in any negative way, and on the contrary, widen the soundstage remarkably.

The Maggies do not put on such a convincing disappearing act as my Preludes do, but then, in compensation, make vocals and strings sound absolutely divine. Upshot is, over the past week, Ive been listening to the Maggies upwards of 3 hours every evening without a break. And, the weather in Pune has been conducive enough to make my small collection of Single Malts not feel neglected in any way

Attachments

• MUSIC ROOM 2.jpg
    MUSIC ROOM 2.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 126
Update

So, with the summers passing, got somewhat disenchanted with the Martin Logans, as they were simply too bass heavy in my living room. Playing around with their positioning seemed to have no mitigating effect, with the bass swamping the highs and leading to a dull presentation. This not being my cup of tea, finally decided to part ways with them.

As a stop gap arrangement, pressed into service a pair of "lowly" Dynaudio Audience 5 standmounts which I had bought some 20 years ago for the bedroom and were hardly being used. Connected them to the ARC Vsi60 and was immediately floored! The airy highs which the Vsi60 had been complimented for by reviewers, and which had gone totally AWOL with the MLs, returned, and how! The bass too was tighter and more realistic. Have been playing them for the past 10 days and enjoying every moment. The scale of the presentation, as is to be expected from these dimunitive bookshelves, is decidedly smaller, but the overall effect is a lot more pleasurable to my ears. I had assumed the problem to be the tube amp, but with the MLs out of the way, found the Vsi60 to be a completely different kind of animal, capable of delivering the full range of the frequency spectrum with ease and especially revelling in both the extremes, which is not typical of a tube amp. The Vsi60 and the Dyns seem to be a match made in heaven, and it's quite amazing how the small 6.5 inch drivers are able to articulate so much of the low end. Just goes to drive home the fact that synergy between components is so important.

Am now looking forward to pairing this amp with some quality full range Dyns, preferably the older Contour series.....

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back