My DIY speakers "J&N"

jororaitchev

Hello,
A model of my DIY loudspeakers i have served Ti6k- JBL. My first contact withJ&N (Large).jpg
them, was in distant 2005.
I started working with them in 2009 and finished in 2012.
The loudspeakers are "SEAS"- Excel / Tw-1”, Mw-5”for center 2х 5.5”,Bass-8,5”/ and cross-over parts- "Intertechnik".

Nominal impedance- 8 OhFreguency Range 30Hz-20kHzCharacterstic Sensitivity(2,83V/1m)- 87db
Long Term-110W.
Here are a pictur, if there is interest i will continue.
Joro

Thank you all, for the good evaluation of my work!
In order to save Your time, I will allow myself a clarification:
-Everything in this project-idea, design filters the overall workmanship of the cabinets to the last detail was done by my hands.
Thanks,
Joro
I will try to show you how I made my first DIY audio project "J & N", photo material from that moment is limited (the beginning was in 2009).
To begin with, I had to invent how I can bend the side covers on the columns.
I made these "home matrices";
1 (Large).jpg2 (Large).jpg3 (Large).jpg
and for the center speaker ;
4 (Large).jpg
After, i bended 8 layers / 4mm / MDF;
1 (Large).jpg2 (Large).jpg3 (Large).jpg
Follows assembly, veneering with " Bird's Eye View" Снимка0075.jpgСнимка0079.jpgСнимка0083.jpgСнимка0087.jpg
To be continued....

Hello,
A model of my DIY loudspeakers i have served Ti6k- JBL. My first contact withView attachment 39287
them, was in distant 2005.
I started working with them in 2009 and finished in 2012.
The loudspeakers are "SEAS"- Excel / Tw-1”, Mw-5”for center 2х 5.5”,Bass-8,5”/ and cross-over parts- "Intertechnik".

Nominal impedance- 8 OhFreguency Range 30Hz-20kHzCharacterstic Sensitivity(2,83V/1m)- 87db
Long Term-110W.
Here are a pictur, if there is interest i will continue.
Joro

hello

i have many questions :-

what electronics do you use to drive these speakers ?

whats the source like ?

what were your design goals for these speakers ?

what was the driver selection criteria ?

how many components do you use in the crossover and whats the crossover freq like ?

why is the shape in this particular manner and not the conventional boxy look ?

if you had to re-visit the entire design and change 1 or 2 things - what would they be ?

regards

This is phenomenal ...
Thanks!
hello

i have many questions :-

what electronics do you use to drive these speakers ? 1- HEGEL 360

whats the source like ? 2- OPPO 105D / readed all formats inclusive ISO/

what were your design goals for these speakers ? 3- I hate the annoying standard prisms!

what was the driver selection criteria ? 4-I like the sound of the magnesium alloy produced by SEАS!

how many components do you use in the crossover and whats the crossover freq like ? 5-You will find out when I show them later.

why is the shape in this particular manner and not the conventional boxy look ? See item -3

if you had to re-visit the entire design and change 1 or 2 things - what would they be ? м Only the quality of capacitors and inductors.

[

To be continued....
"The dark side of the moon"
201.jpg20.jpg2016.jpg
Measurements;
1.PNG2.PNG
and
3.PNG
The finish is 35-40 layers of acrylic auto varnish and after each layer- polishing in order to obtain this:
5-6.jpg5-5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
To be continued....
"The dark side of the moon"
View attachment 39464View attachment 39463View attachment 39465
Measurements;
View attachment 39466View attachment 39467
and
View attachment 39468
The finish is 35-40 layers of acrylic auto varnish and after each layer- polishing in order to obtain this:
View attachment 39470View attachment 39469
Craftmanship meets design. Lot of DIY people are perfectionists in build but I felt them missing in the design department. This is really good.

Craftmanship meets design. Lot of DIY people are perfectionists in build but I felt them missing in the design department. This is really good.
Thank you!
Thanks for sharing details. Are the crossovers fixed near the port? If yes, I have measured varied results when they are near and away from the ports.
The filters are in a separate drawer on the underside of the speaker, similar to position ;#11/3.

When everything is created by your hands, the pleasure is endless!
One last photo from a previous project;
July morning - every morning ...1.jpg

Jorors DIY-Audio
Closed group, for those who want to see my other projects, just ask for membership, please!

Rear speakers -”J&N”sr
I will show you one of my projects, which I had to change basically right at the very beginning - the back speakers ;
We all know, what is the ideal shape for the speakers- sphere. For technological reasons, it is difficult to do, especially with three tape loudspeakers. I strive to make the second most effective form - the egg. To begin with, I schematically design this way.I calculate the approximate volume, how do I find the right volume, will show you later in my project .
The loudspeakers are "SEAS"- Excel T25CF002 ", W18EX0book01- 6,5" . Everything is handmade, no "CNC" machine is used.1.jpg

Тhe internal structure of the cabinets;
3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg
Jorors DIY-Audio- Facebook

To continue,
there is a hypothetical possibility for someone in this forum to be interested in this topic.
For the next stage / the shells of the cabinets / I made this "home matrix", with its help I bent 8 layers with 4 mm beech plywood;

https://scontent.fsof10-1.fna.fbcdn...=c2512d43448cdaa72934ecdd053b4447&oe=616D0110

https://scontent.fsof10-1.fna.fbcdn...=75c6924bd39f0185b730d7850b803985&oe=6169BE5B
https://scontent.fsof10-1.fna.fbcdn...=db9fc4a9fe3e17bfa8f89d9842b0d78b&oe=616C412A

The name of the my loudspeakers - "J&N" are the initials of Joro/ my nickname / аnd per se and Nelly/nickname of my wife / and this is ours logo.
Some think, It looks like the J and N are giving each other a high five. Yes, that's right, it's been 40 years together!J&N.png

Rear speakers -”J&N”sr
I will show you one of my projects, which I had to change basically right at the very beginning - the back speakers ;
We all know, what is the ideal shape for the speakers- sphere. For technological reasons, it is difficult to do, especially with three tape loudspeakers. I strive to make the second most effective form - the egg. To begin with, I schematically design this way.I calculate the approximate volume, how do I find the right volume, will show you later in my project .
The loudspeakers are "SEAS"- Excel T25CF002 ", W18EX0book01- 6,5" . Everything is handmade, no "CNC" machine is used.1.jpg

Тhe internal structure of the cabinets;
3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg
Jorors DIY-Audio- Facebook
I haven't published for a long time, but I will continue with the project;
For the next stage / the shells of the cabinets / I made this "home matrix", with its help I bent 8 layers with 4 mm beech plywood;

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 67
  • s-2.jpg
    s-2.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 69
  • s-4.jpg
    s-4.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 84
I will start the presentation with one project, which is in the initial phase, but has undergone several conceptual changes-"J&N"-2.

In order to save your time, I will allow myself a clarification:

-Everything in this project- idea, design the filters and the overall workmanship of the cabinets to the last detail was done by my hands.

First option:

Measurement simulations;

N-1 graph characteristics of the speaker without filter,we have a peak of 106 dB. N-2 graph shows the transfer characteristic of the filter in the frequency band 50-100 Hz is above the 0 dB level. It is useful to understand why in the passive filter the transmission ratio is greater than one? The answer to this question is given by a comparison of the input resistances . The minimum value of the input resistance of the speakers with filters (red curve) at a frequency of 90 Hz is 3.2 ohms. This is an acceptable value. If I select the cutoff frequency of the filter below, for example 200Hz, the input resistance will decrease to about 2 ohms. This will be too much load on the amplifier. The costs of creating or acquiring such an amplifier will be unacceptably high. A decrease in volume will also lead to a decrease in the input resistance, but to a lesser extent.

N-3 graph shows the sound pressure of 90dB of two W26FX001 speakers with a filter at an input voltage of 2.83V. It's not hard to guess that if we simulate the filter for the W18EX001 speaker, we will get a sound pressure of no more than 86 dB at an input voltage of 2.83 V. If we remain in the concept of building an AS with filters on passive elements, we will have to reconsider the choice of the mid-frequency dynamics, or to refuse 1 woofer speakers- W26FX001.
J&N- 2.jpgN-1.jpg-09.PNGСравнение Z  2 W26FX001.PNG
My final choice is:
J&N-2.jpgСхема Фильтра.PNG
Not used "CNC" machine and 3D program.
id-1.jpgid-2.jpgидея 1-.jpgid-3.jpgid-5.jpgid-6.jpg

Attachments

• id-4.jpg
    id-4.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 130
Thanks for sharing details. Are the crossovers fixed near the port? If yes, I have measured varied results when they are near and away from the ports.

This is place to where I turn your attention to my way of measuring volume with a complex shape, you will never achieve maximum results if you do not do this!
And so, we have a clear concept for the type of speakers and the shape of the cabinet - it is not an easy task to calculate - a fact!
In order to find the exact volume of my office, I need to do a few preparatory procedures;

From waste material I made this gadget, that takes part in the measurements and when assembling the cabinet;
ч.jpg Ч-1.jpg
I am approaching to the measurement of the internal volume;

- My method of finding an internal volume of a complex construction was discovered about 2500/ from the Archimedes genius/.
The volume per liter of water is equal to the volume of 1 kg. and 1l. Water = 1 kg,
-their specific resistances are the same, with very little error.
I will say it in a more understandable way:
- if we have 20 liters of water in a bucket, this bucket will weigh approximately -20 kg.
- if we have another liquid in this bucket, we may have 20 liters, but we will not have 20 pounds.
In my method of measurement, i do not immerse the inner construction in the water, just I measure the weight and deduct it from the total volume.
There is no simpler and more accurate method for finding the volume of a complex body,
Archimedes method is flawless!
In my method of measurement, i do not immerse the inner construction in the water, just I measure the weight and deduct it from the total volume.
There is no simpler and more accurate method for finding the volume of a complex body,the method of Archimedes is flawless! Any other material we use to fill, we need to know the "ro" of this material.

On the second picture, the red line is the waterline, the vas of cabinet must be fill with water next to it / everything must be perfectly horizontally!/.

In this photo the red line is the waterline, the vas of cabinet must be fill with water next to it / everything must be perfectly leveled/.

Let's assume that the density of MDF is 0.75 kg. of cubic decimeter/ average value by tables /. This is 75% of the actual reduced volume. The reduced volume error is: 3.5 / 0.75 = 4.6 liters actual reduced volume, and the whole volume is 43-4.6 = 38.4 liters. The total error of 39.6 liters is 1.2 liters or -3.1%. The ways to reduce the insaid of volume, are incomparably easier than the increase, the point is that this is the desired vision and the compensation must be done inside the volume. At this volume, I can safely mount another W18EX001, i. we are talking about a 2, 1/2 tape loudspeaker and that sends the project into an initial phase.
The old project stayed in the past ...
The new one project;
n. proj..jpgsr-2-.jpgsr-2-1.jpgsr-2-3.jpg
After preprocessing of the internal ribbing I can now start collecting the cabinets;
Now I can make the exact measurement of the volume.
And that's 31.5l, just as much as I need!
sr-2-6.jpgsr-2-5.jpgsr-2-4.jpg

Attachments

• ч-3.jpg
    ч-3.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 54
  • w-2.jpg
    w-2.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 43
  • w-1.jpg
    w-1.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 43
  • w-3.jpg
    w-3.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 40
  • P-1.jpg
    P-1.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 44
  • P-2.jpg
    P-2.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 53
This is place to where I turn your attention to my way of measuring volume with a complex shape, you will never achieve maximum results if you do not do this!
And so, we have a clear concept for the type of speakers and the shape of the cabinet - it is not an easy task to calculate - a fact!
In order to find the exact volume of my office, I need to do a few preparatory procedures;

From waste material I made this gadget, that takes part in the measurements and when assembling the cabinet;
View attachment 64112 View attachment 64113
I am approaching to the measurement of the internal volume;

- My method of finding an internal volume of a complex construction was discovered about 2500/ from the Archimedes genius/.
The volume per liter of water is equal to the volume of 1 kg. and 1l. Water = 1 kg,
-their specific resistances are the same, with very little error.
I will say it in a more understandable way:
- if we have 20 liters of water in a bucket, this bucket will weigh approximately -20 kg.
- if we have another liquid in this bucket, we may have 20 liters, but we will not have 20 pounds.
There is no simpler and more accurate method for finding the volume of a complex body,
Archimedes method is flawless!
There is no simpler and more accurate method for finding the volume of a complex body,the method of Archimedes is flawless! Any other material we use to fill, we need to know the "ro" of this material.

On the second picture, the red line is the waterline, the vas of cabinet must be fill with water next to it / everything must be perfectly horizontally!/.

In this photo the red line is the waterline, the vas of cabinet must be fill with water next to it / everything must be perfectly leveled/.

Let's assume that the density of MDF is 0.75 kg. of cubic decimeter/ average value by tables /. This is 75% of the actual reduced volume. The reduced volume error is: 3.5 / 0.75 = 4.6 liters actual reduced volume, and the whole volume is 43-4.6 = 38.4 liters. The total error of 39.6 liters is 1.2 liters or -3.1%. The ways to reduce the insaid of volume, are incomparably easier than the increase, the point is that this is the desired vision and the compensation must be done inside the volume. At this volume, I can safely mount another W18EX001, i. we are talking about a 2, 1/2 tape loudspeaker and that sends the project into an initial phase.
The old project stayed in the past ...
The new one project;
View attachment 64202View attachment 64203View attachment 64204View attachment 64205
After preprocessing of the internal ribbing I can now start collecting the cabinets;
Now I can make the exact measurement of the volume.
And that's 31.5l, just as much as I need!
View attachment 64206View attachment 64207View attachment 64208
Huge accuracy work, good luck for that. Just a question, how you assure the required volume for desired drivers?

Back