My Dynamic Duo Nakamichi CR7 & BX300

James Hamzah

Posting my two cassette decks.

upload image online

The Cr7 one fantastic and accurate recorder even with with lowly TDK D60, amazing with chrome tapes. I don't need metal though I used a few. Auto cal is dead accurate and recording is virtually identical to source, my turntables, Linn LP12 and Pro-ject Perspective (with Linn arm) or my Rotel RCD 971 cd player. You can throw any tape in it and it will record fantastic, lately some cheap Sony EF I got for dirt cheap 75 sealed pieces in all at a flea market.

The BX300 has limited recording facilities but stick to TDK or Maxell it still records fantastic.

On playback both decks are amazing even with prerecorded tapes except those really badly produced ones. Soundstage, depth, placement of instruments and vocals spot on, sparkling highs and deep bass. Accurate timbre and dynamic. The way cheaper BX300 trails only very very slightly in the highest frequencies but only if played side by side. Otherwise I can listen to it the whole day with it's fantastic musicality.

When listening to the mix tapes or whole album recordings from my Linn or my Rotel it makes me forget I'm actually listening to recordings rather than the sources. Sometimes I go to the Linn thinking it was the vinyl album I'm spinning at the end of the album. They produce all the warm analogue sounds exactly like vinyl.

To that I must add my Rotel, after much soul searching and a myriad of other CD players is the only one I kept. To my ears this mid price little fella is the most analogue sounding cd player I ever heard.

The rest of my gear is Jadis Defy 30 valve amp, a trusty Pioneer A400, Acurus phono stage, Spendor SP1/2 speakers, REL Q50 sub, Ixos interconnects and Cardas biwire speaker cables. Room size 12 x 15 feet with acoustic treatment.

I'm becoming a Nak addict lately and would like to collect a few more, as I write a ZX9 is on the way.

Cheers,

James

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back