My Early impressions of the Croft Line integrated amplifier

Analogous

I recently received this amplifier from Croft Acoustics, UK spending £800+£160 FedEx shipping + 52%Customs tax.
It arrived in a plain cardboard box, weighing surprisingly light. The unboxing was quick as it contains the amplifier and power cable. No manual or anything else. I like it’s understated looks.

External appearance is minimalist in design and features a selector knob and two volume knobs and a power toggle switch. The finish and construction are elegant and solid. It does take a minute after switching on to start working. And there is no remote control or headphone out. I can’t imagine it can get simpler than this.

I chose this amp as I wanted a good match with the Harbeth p3ES, which I like, a lot. I would have loved to try a LFD amp, but the cost made Croft a more affordable choice. The amplifier uses a ECC83 valve for the input stage and Mosfets for output. It’s puts out 45-50W RMS

Objective measurements of the Croft (Stereophile) show rather disappointing figures. John Atkinson has used phrases such as 'incompetent', and reports a 6db roll-off within the audible frequency range on phono, and persistent distortion. I was a bit apprehensive after reading this, but now that I have it playing in my room, I am beginning to understand this amplifier and make my own subjective judgment, keeping in mind I am listening to music not measurements.

This amplifier in my opinion is special. It fluidly, vividly and convincingly carries tunes and draws you into the performance. The way it captures the range of tonal colors, the beauty of voices and instruments, the energy and life in the recorded event is very endearing. It’s a cliché, but it takes my system and musical enjoyment to new heights. The Croft- Harbeth combo gets me involved with the music very quickly (specially with good recordings).

Briefly about my set up: My room is about 12x15’. The Harbeth P3ES is pulled out about 3’ from the rear wall, on wooden stands. There is 3’ space on either side to the side walls. Slightly toed in, equidistant with my listening position (2 m). The tweeters are at ear level when I sit. Books on shelves are arranged at first reflection sites to the sides and there is a carpet on the floor. I am planning some more room treatment but not sure what to do.

All the listening was streamed Qobuz through a network streamer-DAC to Croft - P3- subwoofer. (More details at the end)

Sound: Right from the start it sounded good. Not “wow” good, but the more I listen I am more able to identify new details from tracks I am very familiar with. It is definitely a sound that leans towards “romantic” rather than “clinical” in character. It throws up a impressively wide sound stage. In some recordings I was looking to the sides (90-120 degrees!) as I heard unusual sounds that I then realised were part of the music. The imaging is not pin point (I think moving the speakers around a bit may improve this). The depth was also layered but not so clear that I could identify what was being played behind the singer every time. Height? Couldn’t make out.

The highs are extended and in some poor recordings the extreme high end sounded a bit shrill. Hopefully this will settle down over time. The transient notes are suspended beautifully in the air for just enough to be noticed and savoured (fluffy sugar candy melting in the mouth?)

The mids are prominent and female vocals are beautifully rendered with plenty of emotion. (Don’t know how to describe this better,) I did feel it sometimes smoothens vocals a bit too much, specially older gruffly male voices like Leonard Cohen, Louis Armstrong (in their later years)

The low freqs are substantial and satisfying. But I use a subwoofer as the Harbeths start rolling off at @70hz (?). The amount of low frequency detail retrieved and presented is substantial. I can’t explain this: but I find adding a reasonably well integrated sub makes the quality of mids and highs much better. This is what I found with Croft as also with other amps before. I recently read keeping the door open behind (if available of course) helps tame room modes for LF (check out discussions on the active bass traps and hole in the wall effects) not sure if this changes anything when I tried)

The entire presentation is tight, coherent and engaging. It also sounds a noticeably faster and more controlled than the Tube SET amp I was listening to before. With complex arrangements (eg: Beck- Morning Phase) the room is full of rich notes appearing and dispersing, each distinct, rising and fading. With slower mellow tracks the lush and relaxed presentation is very pleasant. (Eg:
)
The performance with hard and fast Rock and Roll seems good, but I would listen more to understand this aspect before expressing a definite opinion.

There is still lots of tweaks to try out in my set up (Sub crossover and volume, Change DAC, try CDs, move speakers around etc)

I listened to this set up nearly 8 hours yesterday and another 8 hours today. Infatuation? Definitely but I am also falling deeper in love with this inanimate object! This amplifier and the P3s match nicely. If this honeymoon progresses to true love, I am getting off the amp merry go round.

Albums listened:
Sade - Love Delux
Arooj Aftab - Vulture Prince
Bob Marley- Natty Dread
Ry Cooder - Chavez Ravine
Donald Fagen - Nightfly
Jack Johnson - Brushfire Fairytales
John Mayer - Room for Squares
Ali Farka Toure - Savane
Beatles - Abbey Road (Remastered version)
Doobie Brothers-Captain and Me
Ray La Montagne- Ouroburos
Amjad Ali Khan - Indian classical Ragas
Supertramp - - Even in the Quitest moments
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Blues Traveler- Four
Garcia and Grisham - Shady Grove
Temptations - All Directions

Associated equipment: Lindemann Limetree network DAC, stock power cord, Kimber speaker cables, Harbeth P3ES on wooden speaker stands, KEF KC62.

Is it the best amp in the world? Silly question; there is no such thing. But for the price it’s excellent value.
Are there better amps? Dunno, maybe, possibly, who cares. This amp provides a pleasing mix of the Tube and SS characteristics.
What I do know is that it sounds really really good to me, in my room with my set up. I am wondering if a DAC upgrade would be worth it.

Grateful to Prem and others who encouraged me to take this plunge. Best decision I made in all of 2021.

At some point try out these tubes with the amp. Vintage Tesla, Telefunken and Mullard. All three will sound different. Tesla is the tube used by Glen to voice his amp.
Thanks Prem, I touched my first tube in 2021, so not very knowledgeable or confident to start rolling!. But I will seek some help from Tube afficianado FMs here to try other tubes.

Nice write up of your new acquisition and experience @Analogous
I am inviting myself to your home after this Covid wave subsides :D

Cheers,
Raghu
I very much look forward to your visit Raghu.

Production was stopped in mid 80s. So not available any more. You have to purchase from the open market. No manufacturer uses tubes that aren’t currently in production.

The tube Glen supplies is JJ. That’s a clone of Tesla. But sound is a few notches down. I bought my amp directly from Glen. So he replaced them with Tesla tubes since he had a few NOS spare. Mine had 3 tubes. So cost went up by nearly 325 GBP

Last edited:
The dealer won’t have it. You can buy from Brent Jesse in USA. Or Jac Music from Germany. Both are completely reliable.

Production was stopped in mid 80s. So not available any more. You have to purchase from the open market. No manufacturer uses tubes that aren’t currently in production.
That's even more quirky then. Voicing an amp that was introduced in the 2000's with tubes that were out of production in the 1980's. But, whatever...
The tube Glen supplies is JJ. That’s a clone of Tesla. But sound is a few notches down.
I thought JJ used the Tesla machinery to produce their tubes but maybe they've cut corners with their range.

That's even more quirky then. Voicing an amp that was introduced in the 2000's with tubes that were out of production in the 1980's. But, whatever...

I thought JJ used the Tesla machinery to produce their tubes but maybe they've cut corners with their range.
Basically Tesla used Telefunken machinery. And later JJ took it over. I have heard all 3 tubes. Tele sounds different from the Tesla. Tele is extended and very neutral kind of sounding tube. Tesla is richer sounding and a little warmer and less transparent than the Tele. JJ doesn’t sound nice. Little hard on the top

Not everyone knows Mullard set up tube manufacturing unit in Bangalore at Bharat Electronics Limited. For a fraction of the price of the Mullards , the NOS BEL tubes from the seventies and earlier are fantastic value for money. I’m using them with great results in my pre.

Mullard is a completely different sounding tube from Tele and Tesla. People who like Tele and Tesla are unlikely to like Mullard and vice versa.

This is what I heard too, as @bhaskarcan told me that he didn’t prefer Telefunken when he used to roll tubes and preferred Mullard / BEL.

Anyway don’t mean to derail the thread. Congratulations on your buy @Analogous.

I”d love to give Tesla a roll (pun intended) if anyone in Bangalore has them.
Not easy to get hold of...try a mullard as is easier and cheaper, and the BEL version is even cheaper but available only with global sellers but well worth a tube roll.
Telefunken is also expensive..

But I use a subwoofer as the Harbeths start rolling off at @70hz (?). The amount of low frequency detail retrieved and presented is substantial. I can’t explain this: but I find adding a reasonably well integrated sub makes the quality of mids and highs much better.
This is true. A properly integrated subwoofer helps in improving listening at lower volumes without drop in spl across the bandwidth. It adds the necessary weight to the lower mids and mids.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back