My experience with a Dirac

shankarcams

I got a Stereo Dirac recently, and have done the measurements etc. and created the filters. I have created two paths for my Sonos - First, Sonos RCA -> 861v8 (MRC) -> 8k, and Second, Sonos Optical -> Dirac -> 861v8 No MRC -> 8k2. makes it easy for me to do an A/B.

Two standout comments:
1. The Dirac drops the output level by a massive amount. I would say 12dB to 15dB. This cut is in place even if filters are bypassed. I understand this is by design. Probably they use boost filters also instead of the MRC's cut only approach. But net effect is that the energy level drops dramatically.

2. There is no scope to fiddle at filter level with the Dirac. One has to set a response curve, and that's all one can do. The Dirac generates filters to bring the output as close to the response curve as possible. However it operates in the entire 20-20 range.

The overall feeling I have i that the 12-15dB attenuation makes the Dirac unviable for me. I like to listen to music loud, and with the Dirac, even 99 is not adequate.

The sound is probably better probably because I need some correction in the 300-500Hz range, which MRC can't do. Had it not burdened me with the attenuation I might have seriously considered the Dirac for music.

Also, the unit can't be sold. Of course it can, but the associated software license is personal and cannot be transferred. Also a matter to be considered.

Wish I had known some of this before I shelled out!

I got a Stereo Dirac recently, and have done the measurements etc. and created the filters<snip>
1. The Dirac drops the output level by a massive amount. I would say 12dB to 15dB

I have been fooling around with Dirac Live for the past few days, I'm therefore and expert :eek: and will put up my thoughts here.

I had read this review earlier and was worried about it. I found that the drop is controllable.

In Dirac audio controller, there is a chevron on the left of the panel. Clicking on it brings up the DSP gain setting. Care should be taken in not making it high to the point where the clip indicator comes on

2. There is no scope to fiddle at filter level with the Dirac. One has to set a response curve, and that's all one can do. The Dirac generates filters to bring the output as close to the response curve as possible. However it operates in the entire 20-20 range

Not entirely correct. It is possibly to add or delete break points (double click on them)

The frequency range at which it operates is also controllable. there are a slider bars moving makes a shaded region where the filters do not operate.

It is possible to correct l and r individually or combined

The overall feeling I have i that the 12-15dB attenuation makes the Dirac unviable for me. I like to listen to music loud, and with the Dirac, even 99 is not adequate.

I am a 9'o clock type and once I figured out the DSP gain bit, I was quite happy with what i got.

The sound is probably better probably because I need some correction in the 300-500Hz range, which MRC can't do. Had it not burdened me with the attenuation I might have seriously considered the Dirac for music

I rather like the correction. Particularly since I have a boomy room, and my speakers are asymmetrical wrt side walls.

The changes are subtle (as expected) but definitely there and IMHO nice ones. I used the sofa option and sampled over a nice large area to get it to my liking.

Also, the unit can't be sold. Of course it can, but the associated software license is personal and cannot be transferred. Also a matter to be considered.

Wish I had known some of this before I shelled out!

I am seriously considering it. REW is at a nicer price, but so far I have not succeeded in getting a nice setting. I *guess* (or at any rate have not figured out how) to get a Dirac like treatment effect and sound from REW.

Used to be a fm, flak/ flavio on here and maybe this will attract his attention - if there are better ways to get Dirac to work etc.

disclaimer: I am running Dirac live on a PC and not a minidsp unit.

ciao
gr

Last edited:
New press release from Dirac:

UPPSALA, SWEDEN, December 18, 2018 — Swedish sound pioneer Dirac Research today announced its all-new Dirac Live Bass Management Module that improves bass performance and provides the most sophisticated, easy-to-use multi-subwoofer optimization solution for both consumers and professional technology integrators. The breakthrough solution leverages a proprietary approach to subwoofer system optimization to produce far smoother and tighter bass than existing solutions, which oftentimes sound muddied and smeared. Dirac will debut the new module at CES 2019 in Dirac’s Westgate Suite #630 .

According to Niklas Thorin, Dirac General Manager of High Performance Audio, the new Dirac Live Bass Management Module is a best-in-class product that further solidifies Dirac as the market’s leading one-stop source for home theater digital audio optimization solutions.

"Seven years ago, we introduced the world to Dirac Live, which marked a breakthrough in digital room correction and has since become the industry’s reference solution,” Thorin stated. “Dirac Live set the bar high and helped establish our reputation as the leading pioneer of sound optimization solutions. Our all-new Dirac Live Bass Management Module lives up to the legacy of Dirac Live and proves to the market that wherever we innovate, we lead.”

The new Dirac Live Bass Management Module leverages the mathematical models and processing algorithms that have made Dirac Live so revolutionary, to produce the simplest, fastest, and most effective method for single- and multi-subwoofer system optimization. The solution helps save time by offering the world’s first predictive results analysis, letting users see a visual representation of the predicted bass performance without having to run repeated audible tests.

What’s more, Dirac Live Bass Management ensures that subwoofers deliver a specific range of frequencies that produce a smoother, tighter bass experience, while creating optimal sound reproduction for each specific room. Traditionally, this required repeated time-consuming audio tests and location adjustments for one or multiple subwoofers. With various adjustable settings, including crossover frequency, phase shift and subwoofer volume, the process could, historically, be overwhelming for users.

Dirac Live Bass Management also offers potential savings for consumers who can now achieve enhanced bass performance from a single subwoofer, and therefore do not need to invest in a second device.

Jakob Argren, Dirac Head of Product Management, explained that the new Dirac Live Bass Management Module will launch in three tiers aimed at specific market segments.

Tier 1 allows management of any number of subwoofers, analyzing each one to create a single-optimized sub channel that drives each subwoofer. It also enables precise control of frequency cutoffs for all speakers. Tier 2 offers advanced setup for a single subwoofer, while also providing control over parameters and applying frequency filters to all speakers based on measurements. Tier 3 is a free module for all current Dirac Live customers and OEMs, permitting standard bass management with the added benefit of predictive results.

“Our tiered approach to Dirac Live Bass Management allows us to deliver a best-in-class solution for all home theater enthusiasts, regardless of their budget or system set-up,” stated Argren. “What’s more, by optimizing the subwoofer performance in relation to the room dimensions and speaker position, customers are no longer required to place their subs in specific locations, often at odds with the aesthetics of the room, in order to achieve optimal performance.”

Dirac Live Bass Management is scheduled for release in Q2 2019 and is the first module to be introduced for the new Dirac Live. Dirac Live modules will be introduced on a yearly basis and will allow users to customize their home theater software system based on one’s specific requirements and preferences. The new Dirac Live, whose beta was released at CEDIA 2018, is now available and compatible with units from Arcam, AudioControl, Bryston, Lexicon, NAD, and StormAudio.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/dirac-debut-multi-sub-bass-management-ces

Oh I would love to try Dirac too. Where can I download it from to run it on my Windows HTPC? The Dirac website thrown up an error.

MaSh

Oh I would love to try Dirac too. Where can I download it from to run it on my Windows HTPC? The Dirac website thrown up an error.

MaSh
Hi MaSh...

The dirac live will need a umik-1 microphone to setup. And the free trail is only for 2 weeks. So before you subscribe to the free trail, please see if you can borrow a umik-1 from your friends.

MaSh
Forgot to mention, that depending on the audio software you use, some of them like audirvana, roon and jplay have inbuilt dsp and room correction, which give you more control on what and at where in the frequency spectrum you want to correct. And as a side note, REW is completely free to acoustically measure your room, and see exact where the dsp intervention is required.

Hi MaSh...

The dirac live will need a umik-1 microphone to setup. And the free trail is only for 2 weeks. So before you subscribe to the free trail, please see if you can borrow a umik-1 from your friends.

I got REW and I got my own Mic :). I am unable to find any link from where I can download Dirac. The website says Page not found. Do you have a working link?

Forgot to mention, that depending on the audio software you use, some of them like audirvana, roon and jplay have inbuilt dsp and room correction, which give you more control on what and at where in the frequency spectrum you want to correct. And as a side note, REW is completely free to acoustically measure your room, and see exact where the dsp intervention is required.

Yes I ran REW with the UMIK mic I have and I did create some filters. However, I dont know where to feed that filter in or dont know what else to do with it.

MaSh

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back