My fiberglass speaker stands

t.antony

This project is linked to my MTM speaker project as it needed a stable and good looking stand that goes with the design of the speakers.

I chose to go with the oval shaped center column because of it's lack of specific resonance modes compared to a circular pipe.Also for a given footprint the oval shape looks sleeker :)

The choice of fiberglass is due to the flexibility of the material and the fact that I have an expert to help me with the build. He is a sculptor and artist by profession and is the major contributor for this project. Without his help and active participation, this project would not have panned out.

We used the classic method for designing these ie, first make a model in clay, take a mold, get a piece from the mold, perfect the design in that piece and then take another mold for the final piece. The final piece is then polished and painted. This is by far the most complex and labor intensive DIY project I have done so far.

Here is the picture of the mold of the base and the first piece taken from it, ready for next phase of finishing

76704968.jpg

Finishing on process,excess putty is being chipped off before it's fully dry, it will be sanded to get the contours correct,

15957723f.jpg

Picture of the center column and one of the molds used for making it, we spent a lot of time perfecting this profile and 3 molds had to be taken before arriving at this shape. It was a rewarding experience and I got a hang of designing and prototyping prior to the CAD.

48417578.jpg

A mockup of the stand and the center column attached, lot of sanding needed for both the parts before the final mold can be taken.

70410095.jpg

24569960.jpg

Last edited:
T Antony,

Hats off to you & your dedication, passion & DIY Spirit :)

Am eagerly awaiting to see the finished product, hopefully listen to it too when I am next in blr.

Best Wishes

Way to go Anthony, fantastic job. They would probably need some sand / lead filling to add weight and rival metal stands.

@Santhol, why only stands, can't the speakers also be got ready? Let some DIY to be showcased too. My two cents.

Way to go Anthony, fantastic job. They would probably need some sand / lead filling to add weight and rival metal stands.

@Santhol, why only stands, can't the speakers also be got ready? Let some DIY to be showcased too. My two cents.
Captain,
Antony has already confirmed that he will be getting his MTMs. So, just checking if the stands would be ready by then.

Very valid suggestion Captain, will be a learning. As part of George's presentation on how to build a speaker, he plans to show some components that goes into building one.

Last edited:

The base and bottom 1/3rd of the column is going to be filled with a mortar of putty and small metal pieces. I believe that will make a single stand weigh close to 18kg, with sand filling the total weight should be near 25kg.

Very valid suggestion Captain, will be a learning. As part of George's presentation on how to build a speaker, he plans to show some components that goes into building one.
Thank you very much for considering my suggestion. :thumbsup:

The base and bottom 1/3rd of the column is going to be filled with a mortar of putty and small metal pieces. I believe that will make a single stand weigh close to 18kg, with sand filling the total weight should be near 25kg.
That's great Anthony. Looking forward to feel them in person.:clapping::clapping:

Here is one of the spikes I have made by filing off a 10mm threaded stud. Coupled with a high tensile nut, they will be functionally as good as the better looking commercial spikes, yet costing only Rs.15 a piece :)

spike1y.jpg

Here is one of the spikes I have made by filing off a 10mm threaded stud. Coupled with a high tensile nut, they will be functionally as good as the better looking commercial spikes, yet costing only Rs.15 a piece :)

spike1y.jpg

Where did you get it filed and how much does it cost? Also I need some info on the fibre glass stuff, waiting for the HFV meet:)

Where did you get it filed and how much does it cost? Also I need some info on the fibre glass stuff, waiting for the HFV meet:)

I did it myself, the following method worked for me.

1. Fasten the stud in a drill chuck
  2. Secure a grindstone(I had a broken piece at the workshop)to a tabletop with a vice
  3. Hold the drill at a suitable angle and grind away, if proper care is taken while holding the drill at an angle, you will get identical taper for individual pieces.
So the total cost per spike is Rs.10 for the stud and 5 for the nut :)

Amazing outcome buddy. Hats off to your efforts.

Agree with Sudhir, they look excellent in person and they sound as good as they look (see stand thread for pics).

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back