My first DIY Home server/NAS with pics

naviworks

Hi friends

Here is my first attempt to assemble a machine and i thank HFV because i absolutely dont have any IT background nor i ever opened a PC before....:D

A Little History...

I lost valuable data to an unrecoverable harddisk failure and while googling for a solution, i found RAID and NAS. since i have started collecting HD quality movies, i made up my mind to buy those expensive NAS from Drobo or Qnap/Synology. However guys here built NAS machines for far less with similar or better capabilities.
subsequently i lost interest in RAID and decided to assemble one for physical data backup and streaming purpose. Our forum member Vaibhavs thread helped to take the route of DIY and Sams thread was informative

Hardware/// price/// source/// Remarks....in that order

1) chasis - Lian li pc q08/// rs.5000/// newegg.com /// A nice looking case. couldnt find any mini itx chasis in India with 6bays. A friend got it from US while returning... Only draw back is its not "tool free" to open. Initially i was obsessed with hot swap drive bays... but a little introspection revealed i wont be using hot swap feature much, mine is more of a "fit it ;forget it" type... (just curious - how many of u out there use this feature often in NAS? )

img3894h.jpg
[/IMG]
img3893km.jpg
[/IMG]
img3896h.jpg
[/IMG]

2) mobo-GIGABYTE GA-E350N-USB3/// rs.6950/// smcinternational.in ///well some may consider it overkil for a NAS, but my priority were less power consumption with USB 3.0 support. Initially considered Asus 35m1 deluxe and msi also but gigabyte was cheapest :D

3) PSU-corsair Builder Series CX430 V2 80 PLUS Certified Power Supply/// rs. 2300/// primeabgb.com /// Decided based on reviews. gud build quality and definitely value for money.

img3974sk.jpg
[/IMG]

4) RAM- corsair 4gb x 2/// rs. 2398/// flipkart.com /// The OS recommends 1gb of ram for 1TB of storage. so throwed in 2 stick of 4gb each.

5)Pen drive -sandisk cruser switch 4 GB/// rs. 289/// flipkart.com /// This is to install OS.

6)accesory-NZXT sentry 2 fan controller/// rs.1953/// primeabgb.com /// Well this is for cosmetic purpose only. just to fill the optical drive slot of the chasis.

7) since harddisk prices have shot up, waiting for them to come down. so as of now fitted with 1TB seagate which i had as spare...planning to build a NAS of 8TB:eek:hyeah:

Software
Coming to OS, i jus installed FreeNAS 8.0.2. Since its first time using different OS, there are lot to learn and tweak.... I haven't configured the NAS yet, hope it will take time. SO i ll post the performance once am comfortable with OS.

So for rs.16,937 :licklips: (without including price of HDD and fan controller) my final product looks like this

img3994k.jpg
[/IMG]
img4000y.jpg
[/IMG]

All products were purchased online and the price includes taxes and shipping charges

Finally a big thanx to Mr. Vaibhav who was patient enough to answer all the silly queries of a noob and guiding for DIY.... Anyway will disturb him more for configuring OS ;)

Last edited:
Congratulations, enjoy your new toy.
Please post more info as and when you get comfortable with OS.

Yep, Sam9s/Baijuxaviour thread(s) and inputs have been truly inspirational to many including me and that's to say the least...kudos to you guys please keep up the good work :cheers:

Sweet rig man!!! Am planning to build my own NAS in the future.. hope to get some advice when needed ;)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back