• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

My first frugal baby-step towards getting into Altec Bandwagon

Wharfedale EVO4.1 Bookshelf Speakers

yogibear

Being a stereophile all my life, I was missing the Altecs for so long and so decided to make a baby-step forward till I get my hands on the 604's, the 288's and the 515's. I have been a loudspeaker DIYer all my life and never really had a chance to compare my creations with the best ones, side by side and so finally got this chance as well. Please refer to the pics:

Also pictured is my DIY all wooden rack with height adjustable racks, the three shelfs comfortably holding a total of 70 kgs of stuff on a 15 square feet shelf area. (Comfortably and 2 months so far, not even 1 mm downward bulge)

Also pictured are my latest "Experimental" 3 way floor standers, currently run using some off-shelf, ordinary passive crossovers as I am awaiting my DIY tube-pre-amp parts. I have completed making my 3 way stereo active crossovers but need a pre-amp to fill the gap between the 6 channel Rotel and these speakers.

Currently the Altecs and DIY floor standers are being run by kenwood amp K701. A very potent and sweet sounding amp indeed !

The Altecs are Series II Model 5. Quite unique in a way that these are 3 driver but 2 way speakers ! These have 2 tweeters and a 12 inch woofer and crossed at a low of 1500Hz ! The highs are crisp and thumping ! Bass is smoooooth and thundering !

Finally my experimental DIY speakers are no less great sounding as well. They are kind of wierdo though (designed based on my crazy audio hunches), as the mids and highs are mirror imaged at the rear too ! Hence the binding posts are at the sides. The highs and mids seem to follow me in every other room I go to, crisp and clear !

Last edited:

Srinath_seshadri

Those altec 5 came with black drivers ? Is that why its series II.

Cos, I've only seen them with biege drivers I think.

What does it say around the port (sonic port) or something like that in gold lettering ?

Cool.
Srinath.

Srinath_seshadri

I'm unable to send you a message yogibear so I decided to reply.
That silver Kenwood - what is it - KA8100 ? I have a bunch of those integrateds, sansui, pioneer, kenwood KA8500.
That Rotel on the bottom - I actually never liked rotel old amps sound, so never looked into new rotels. May get one over the next few little bit, but I believe I am too far down the path on yamaha DSP series, I may not be able to come back.
That HK is a 3450 or somehting like that right ? I've had a few - I have a dead avr 7000, and a few working ones from HK, and a lot of their old amps.
The dvd player is a NAD ? never had one of those. How you like those ?
The sony and Teac - I've had a few like it. Dead/alive etc.
Cool.
Srinath.

yogibear

The Teac and HK will soon go off the grid. The Altec drivers are lighter in color. The flash makes them appear darker. This Rotel has got some fine reviews, 60 watts RMS, 6 channels, bridgeable into three, puts over clean 120 watts.

The NAD DVD is much better than the regular ones.

The kenwood is silver face KA 701. Excellent sound. I got a chance to demo this speaker set up with the legendary Marantz PM 710 DC gold face, the top of line Marantz Quadraphonic 7223... something and another Marantz 1123 DC. This kenwood sounded the best.

The sony deck is 3 head sendust/ferrite head, nice sounding deck.

The golden badge reads Altec Lansing and the bass port under the grills reads 5.

Have a lot more stuff lying in NY, including Sansui, Samson, and a Yaqin tube..... And some high end drivers for future projects..

Srinath_seshadri

KA701 OK, cool. Its the DC coupled variant of a 7100 if I recall.
Vintage marantz quads IMHO sound awful. Atleast a 4230 does. I dont like it.
PM710 - good you didn't get that. Only 2 marantz champagne amps have a good reputation. A 8100Dc and a 9000g. I have a 9000g, I can vouch for its awesomeness. 8100 DC, I have to get one of these days. Then I'll know for sure.
Marantz 1123 DC or 1122 ? Those are not in the same power class as the 701. To get better sound than a 701, you have to go to a similarly powered cap coupled output amp. 80 watts of cap coupled out put does not come by easy. A pioneer sx 1500, or a sx2500 is all I have that come close.
Cool.
Srinath.

yogibear

Its was may be Marantz 1122 DC, sweet sounding but ken wood 701 was still better. I hope to put more warmth to these Altecs and my DIYs with the upcoming tube preamp.

What are your thoughts on Sansui 9500 ? It surely looks a beast with two mono rails and beautifully stacked.

You sure sound like a "Garner" of amps/drivers... like me.

Audio_Freek

Sansui 9500 :) Always in wish list .They are bit warm I understand should feed the Altech's well with good Power.

In case you have any source of getting a Sansui Monsters nearby ,Just let me know i have idea to own them soon;)

yogibear

Available if you want them, PM me.

I intend to make my setup warmer and sweeter (though already pretty good) by putting a tube preamp/buffer in between.

yogibear

Anybody knows/have experience of listening to or using the DA-A10DC MITSUBISHI amps?

Thanks.