My First Home Theater...Please guide me :)

Nanu

Hello,

Maybe its the anti-social in me but I rather watch a movie at home than in any theatre.

Finally, I have started planning and building my first Home Theatre and I hope to get it kinda right. I now have my own place where I can dedicate half of my 25x11 bed room to my little home theatre. I have separated about 9x11Feet of area dedicated for this. (I can post pictures as well as Google SketchUp of the plans if that helps ? ) Initially I had thought of even carpeting the area but I have a dog who pretty much lives in the room as well so it is impossible to do.

I am currently using a custom made AVR rack with Panasonic P42V20D, and Onkyo SKF 4600, with an old Harman/Kardon AVR15 , but now I got me a new Yamaha RX V375 and want to go for 5.1 surround sound and do up the HT in general.

The following I intend to use:
Yamaha RX V375
WD Live TV Hub
PlayStation 4

Also, I will be carrying forward my Network stuff like MyBook Live, Router etc will all be incorporated in the New Rack I intend to get made. I had already gotten concealed Ethernet wiring done so as of now nothing can be seen at all, but thats a different story. Thats so that the WD TV Live can access the Networked Drives, PCs etc.

On the speakers front, I was keen on the Q Acoustics, I was in Delhi last month and auditioned other brands, but was not satisfied with any, I auditioned, Onkyos, Yamahas, Harman/Kardon but was not satisfied with any of them. And I somehow dont want towers any more, atleast for now. Then finally ordered the QAcoustics 2000i and have also ordered some cables for them, as well as the sub cable. Cable I am using DAC AWG 16 for the fronts and have ordered some AudioLink or something, again 16AWG for the rear and center. For the Sub I have ordered a ChordSub cable. The rear will be all concealed wiring, which I will get to once the equipment is here. I dont mind digging, drilling the walls and calling in a mason/Painter etc. (One entire was is being redone too so its not a biggie as they will all be available.)

I would now like to get a bigger plasma, I have narrowed down on the obvious 2 choices for us in India: The Samsung 64F8500 or the Panasonic 60s60, though there is a huge difference in the budget. I have seen the Panasonic but nowhere have I seen the Samsung yet, so I will have to decide on that. I live in Bhopal so its not easy to find these things here. Maybe when I am in Mumbai or something I can have a look at the Plasma. But from the pictures alone the Samsung looks stunning, and I love the dark grey to the black too but I am not sure the PQ justifies such a margin when it is I believe only slightly better than the s60. I think one is just paying extra with the Samsung for its software, unfortunately, which I will never really use.

The room is in a basement so I dont have any issues with sunlight, the windows on the sides also lead to an open area but it covered form the top, so yes once again barely any sunlight comes in, so I am quite sure about not having any reflective issues. (This wall and windows are being redone. Please see attached pictures of the plan) Also the room remains really cool due to the same reason. The front space is about 9Feet to place my TV and the speakers. And the distance from the front wall to the back is about 11. As of now I just 1 Lazy-Boy (recliner) but will get a couch or something later.

I have not thought of any power conditioning options, and would like to look into this asap. I am inclined towards APC Smart UPSs as I have been using them for years on my sensitive equipment, and they have been great. Using the 1500va Smart UPS for my PC as well. Just thinking on how much wattage I would need.

I am just putting up this post for guidance form you guys in case I am doing something wrong. Or I am looking for inputs on how to make this setup even better. Incase I have missed out anything or if I am forgetting something, please do point out. Your suggestions and comments are welcome.

Please do comment and guide me in building my first Home Theater :)

Thanks lot for all the help.
Cheers,

PS. I just need to update some stuff on my Google SketchUp and then I shall post those as well, surly before the weekend is over.

PSS. The Speakers and new cables should be in by Monday I got a call from the courier company, never have they done this, so I appreciate this from them. Not even DHL or FedEx calls and informs customers.

How much have to set aside for the plasma. Also with so much of high quality, A/V equipment, I would always suggest to back it up with an Online UPS, I am not sure if APC smart ups are online but if they are not I would strongly suggest to opt for an online one.

How much have to set aside for the plasma. Also with so much of high quality, A/V equipment, I would always suggest to back it up with an Online UPS, I am not sure if APC smart ups are online but if they are not I would strongly suggest to opt for an online one.

Honestly, I have not thought about the budget :) Just gotta think, if it is worth the extra 1Lac for the Samsung, I dont know...just will have to see it in person someday soon and decide I think.

Thank you, I did not even know the difference of an Online-UPS until you pointed out. Now I am aware :)
Can you suggest some online UPS...??
APC does infact have some, SMART-UPS which are on-line but more than that I am concerned about how much 'va' am I looking at.

Last edited:
Why are you not thinking about having a Projector than to have a bigger LED ? If movies are your taste over audio, no LED can actually beat a PJ !!!

Why are you not thinking about having a Projector than to have a bigger LED ? If movies are your taste over audio, no LED can actually beat a PJ !!!

I am thinking of Plasma again not LED. Also, I only have 9x11ft or so, I am not convinced that a projector is the way to go...

Also My cousin uses a projector, so I have used them, also had an old one way back and played some PS3 on it :) ...but now I am a bit older I think and I can not live with having a screen in my bedroom, thats just way too much for me.... :(

Last edited:
Honestly, I have not thought about the budget :) Just gotta think, if it is worth the extra 1Lac for the Samsung, I dont know...just will have to see it in person someday soon and decide I think.

Thank you, I did not even know the difference of an Online-UPS until you pointed out. Now I am aware :)
Can you suggest some online UPS...??
APC does infact have some, SMART-UPS which are on-line but more than that I am concerned about how much 'va' am I looking at.

I am thinking of Plasma again not LED.

Also My cousin uses a projector, so I have used them, also had an old one way back and played some PS3 on it :) ...but now I am a bit older I think and I can not live with having a screen in my bedroom, thats just way too much for me.... :(

1L for a plasma, man even 60K is too much, anyway I would second with MZB as even I was about to suggeest a projector, much better than spending so much on TVs for movies.

Coming to Online UPS, Well what I bought was Microtek 2KVA, been using it for 3 years now almost 24x7, and except for the battery that I had to replace after 1.5 years (which was expected given the life of lead acid batteries) I am pretty satisfied by it. The only major draw back is the fan noise, which becomes really bad and unbearable with time (I had to replace the fan). Now the UPS is closed in an other room so the noise does not bother me, but yes this is once factor you have take in to consideration.

The VA thing will depend on how many and what all equipment you have, check the max load of all your equipment add it and then add 300-400W more to it as a buffer and you will get a safe value.

1L for a plasma, man even 60K is too much, anyway I would second with MZB as even I was about to suggeest a projector, much better than spending so much on TVs for movies.

Coming to Online UPS, Well what I bought was Microtek 2KVA, been using it for 3 years now almost 24x7, and except for the battery that I had to replace after 1.5 years (which was expected given the life of lead acid batteries) I am pretty satisfied by it. The only major draw back is the fan noise, which becomes really bad and unbearable with time (I had to replace the fan). Now the UPS is closed in an other room so the noise does not bother me, but yes this is once factor you have take in to consideration.

The VA thing will depend on how many and what all equipment you have, check the max load of all your equipment add it and then add 300-400W more to it as a buffer and you will get a safe value.

How much did the microtek set you back? With and without batteries? Does it take the regular invertor batteries? Those huge truck ones...?? Sorry I know nothing much of regular inverters :(

Unfortunately a projector is a no go for me :( Cant have that in the bed room...

Hi Nanu

Congrats on your project in getting a Home Threatre built...there is a lot of work involved including budget...would suggest you see some threads on building a home theatre available on HiFiVision which would help you to make the right choices / decisions..

All the best

How much did the microtek set you back? With and without batteries? Does it take the regular invertor batteries? Those huge truck ones...?? Sorry I know nothing much of regular inverters :(

Unfortunately a projector is a no go for me :( Cant have that in the bed room...

20K in total, it takes that small lead acid batteries not that huge regular inverter.(though it also has the provision to connectthose incase you want higher backups) 12V 7Ah battries. 7 of those. Cost of one is around 700-800 bucks.

BTW why is a projector a no go ....if I may ask.. ?

First it is my bed room, and I dont wanna deal with such a large screen. My max viewing distance would be only about 6-7 Feet.

Also everytime I would want to play the PS4, I would have to get the screen down etc.
Unless its a permanent one. I just find it simpler put the TV on and there you go...Also it would have to be a good 'fixed screen as I can not stand the cloth moving around due to the AC etc in those hanging screen, just spoils eveything IMO.

Also, the projectors I have seen and used in the past could never compare in brightness to a plasma. Though I am yet to maybe see a really good 1080p Projector, or even audition one.

How much is the Epson Projectors though? I they are the ones that everyone seems to be getting?

Ive got a SmartUPS online for my HT room and its quite compact and works well foer me with built in SML batteries. Recommended, but mine is a 3KVA unit and costs a bomb.

First it is my bed room, and I dont wanna deal with such a large screen. My max viewing distance would be only about 6-7 Feet.

Also everytime I would want to play the PS4, I would have to get the screen down etc.
Unless its a permanent one. I just find it simpler put the TV on and there you go...Also it would have to be a good 'fixed screen as I can not stand the cloth moving around due to the AC etc in those hanging screen, just spoils eveything IMO.

Also, the projectors I have seen and used in the past could never compare in brightness to a plasma. Though I am yet to maybe see a really good 1080p Projector, or even audition one.

How much is the Epson Projectors though? I they are the ones that everyone seems to be getting?

6-7 feet are you serious, its too less for even a 42" TV, you can not enjoy an HT with such tiny viewing area, that too with a 5.1 spk setup. Maybe 32" but then it does not even constitute as an HT.

Bro try to get atleat 10' viewing distance for even a remotely decent movie viewing experience, since you are spending so much. Just a suggestion rest its your cash.

Well, Max would be 10Feet :) The 2 walls are 12 feet apart...so I can not extend that no way possible.
I use my 42" plasma at a distance of about 5 feet :)
Maybe I am blind. Thats why I was thinking max 60-64"inch if I increase the distance to 10-11 feet, I can not go bigger....
...maybe then I should just stick with the P42V20D till OLED comes as mainstream.... :)

But from what I have read and experienced....I have even used this 42"as my computer monitor, but at 4 feet I was able to see the individual Pixels,
so that was no good, plus the heat generated in the summer so close to the screen was unbarable. NOw it is used at a distance of 6 feet and is perfectly fine.

As per the guides I have read 42"is fine from 5.5Ft till about 8ft, for FulldHD content. (I have nothing that is SD which I watch, I watch 'Zero' TV shows...)
SO by the same guide for 60-64" states about minimum of 8ft and max of about 11ft, so by about 10 I think I am quite okay....

Last edited:
UPDATE:
Got he speakers this evening. They are much bigger than I thought they would be, but thats fine :)

Just connected them temporarily for now to test them, and used the YPAO and it all seems to be okay for now. Will position them where I need them to be tomorrow and will re-calibrate them. Just tested a bit of music to setup the Sub, and tested RUSH and sme other Blu-Ray for the movies. I am sure it will take me sometime get it all set upo right.

Any tips on setting up...?

Thanks a for all the help.

As for the TV I have decided to hold onto that thought for another week or 10 days or so, will decide then, right now I am just overly joyed with these speakers.

After everything, I have temp installed the Q Acoustics, and I could not wait for the plasma, so went ahead with the Panasonic 60S60.
Initially, I was disappointed with the Set, it coiuld not reproduce the same colors as my older plasma, (Panasonic P42V20D), but thanks to soeone on this forum,
for the setting for this set, and not after calibration I am hapopy with it. It is IMO as good as my old set now.

Settings I used:
Panasonic TC-P50S60 picture settings - CNET HDTV picture settings Forums[/QUOTE]

But now I need my room to be a bit renovated so I can install everything right...
Thanks a lot

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back