My first HomeTheater Setup. Need your valuable suggestions.

akhil7j

Hi,

I am planning to buy my first Hometheater system for myself soon. Since its my first setup so i need a lot to learn from all the gurus here to get myself good setup. And since its my first setup, i am little worried not to get cheated.

Before starting this thread i read a lot what others are buying and since everyone has different needs so i cant just buy by seeing his thread. I wanted to audition few speakers to get the idea before posting a thread and thats what i did.

My budget is aroud 80-90k. I am much into movies than music. But cant just buy a Cinema setup in which music experience will be poor. I do listen to music but like ppl who spend 3-4 lacs for stereo setup.

Wednesday I auditioned Canton & Artacoustic. Canton GLE490 speakers and dont remember the model of artacoustic. This was my first audition and i wasnt musch impressed with the movie experience. Though Music experince was good. The same day i auditioned Q Acoustics and i loved the setup. 2000 Series Floorstanding speakers (2050) for front. 2000 series surround and center and sub. It was amazing for me. Then instead of floorstanding i auditioned bookshelfs (2020) for front. It was again good experience but with less heaviness. Then tried some music on 2020 and 2050 and obviously 2050 experience was good. This audition was with Yamaha AVR.

Speakers i havent decided yet. It will take another month when i will audion other brands too, then only i will go for purchasing. But AVR i have decided to go for Denon. Your suggestions are definitley required here. 1611 and 1911 as per the reviews are really good. But need to choose on the basis of speaker setup.

Presently i am living in a rented appt. My room size is around 10"x12". Small room. But next year i will shift to my own appt. But again the standard size of bedroom is this only.

Now i need your suggestions to look for other brands, choose the right setup and know more about audio equipments. I hope you gurus will help me out. :):)
Oh and by the way, this setup is for my PC. But in future i will be buying LED TV. Next year but..

Thanks in advance.. :)

12' x 10' room is small .....

Forget about FSs, even BSs 'could' be an overkill.

If 'movies' is your main usage, look for 5.1 satellites only ... which are acceptably good/fair for music too. Choices would be ... Energy Take, Wharf Moviestar 70+, Q Acoustics, Cambridge Audio Minx (might have to wait for a month or two ... new release)

For AVR, you have Denon 1311/1611, Marantz 1501, Yamaha, Pioneer etc. No need to look for high end ones with high wattage .... anything from 60 - 90 W per channel at 8 ohms is more than sufficient.

Thanks for the first reply.. :)

Floorstands I am only considering for music purpose. Room size, yeah its small but dont know how much it will be on my own appt. Could be more than this. Thats why i wrote, standard bedroom size of appts is this only.
Denon 1911 i was considering just for floorstands and upmixing n upscaling. Though i dont know in future i will need this or not as all my media is HD (720p or 1080p). Upscaling has nothing to do here if i am not wrong.
1611 was best in my budget and if i go for bookshelfs like Q Acoustics, i will even save money.. But power or loud music is not what i am looking for. I need quality audio. Earlier i was thinking of satelite speakers only but music experience is poor in them. Cant make a mistake after spending so much money.

I have onboard SPDiF on my mobo. Optical and Coaxial. Would that work or i need seperate sound card for good audio?

@akhil7j
denon 1611 & 1911 both are good. if you are looking got the system used for movies and music.
good bookshelf speakers paired with denon (wharf, quad moniter audio) as frunt. it will give you good music as well movie expr.

for denon, wharf, quad & moniter audio contact with denny @ Bass N treble, dwarka. you will fine some best option over their.

Yes, my next audition is at Bass N Treble only :D Heard about Denny from a frn. This weekend or next I am going there.

If i will get good bookshelfs that would be best for me. No need to spend extra money on floorstands. The only reason i was going for 1911 AVR was futureproof. But you guys can suggest better. :)

Yes, I looking forward to audition Def tech. Anyone knows where can i find the dealer in NCR?

People any idea how are mission m34i and m35i for fronts in a 5.1 setup, both for movies and music.

Any idea where is Mission Audio dealer in NCR?. I couldnt audition this week. Was on a trip to Ranikhet and Nainital.. :)

Hi,

Back to the thread and auditioned PSB speakers with NAD amp. It was a detailed auditioning..

First i heard the bookshelfs for music. Liked them... Then started with Movie setup with all satelite speakers. Lacked a lot of depth. Wasnt impressed with this setup. Then replaced the fronts with Alpha T1 (floorstands) and center with C1 and sub with 5i. It was a good setup. The demo room size was too big that the subwoofer wasnt enuff for it. I cant say if i will buy the same setup, the sub will be good enuff for my room or not. Even the center was ok. Not too good or not so bad. But ok performance.

Then i tried the music on Alpha T1. Was really impressed with it. Pure clean sound.

I know my room size is small but floorstands sound better than bookshelfs. And i am not looking for power. I am looking for quality. And PSB T1s i really liked for fronts. Will do both music and movies.

What your suggestions are? If i go for whole PSB setup, its going beyond my budget. 120k inculding installation and AVR. Dont know the rears, center and sub is worth that money or not. The AVR i included is Denon 1611.

Guys, any idea where can i audition monitor audio?

Hi,
The demo room size was too big that the subwoofer wasnt enuff for it. I cant say if i will buy the same setup, the sub will be good enuff for my room or not.

Hey Akhil!!

It was a pleasure to give you a demo during your visit to our showroom. Akhil as I mentioned during the demo as well, the satellite speakers are not designed for a room of size of our HT. Our's is a fairly large room and not apt for satellites.

I request you to visit again to our showroom. I shall shift this setup to the stereo room which is much smaller than HT. However, I shall not be able to give you a video here. I am sure that you would appreciate the system more in this case.

Cheers!

Ashish

Hi Ashish!

Good to see you here.. :) Like i said it was a detailed auditioned and only few ppl in delhi take that much pain to listen to the customer.. Usually they become oversmart. I was really impressed with the time you took and gave a really good audition.

I am impressed with the Alpha T1s But surrounds are bit expensive and like i said; going beyond my budget. When I came back and saw my room, i got totally confused. It was like too small compared to your demo room. You know its not about the money, its about getting the right setup you want.

I will definitely come next time. Already decided.. :) Its ok if i wont get the movie demo..

Thanks a lot...!

I am impressed with the Alpha T1s But surrounds are bit expensive and like i said; going beyond my budget. When I came back and saw my room, i got totally confused. It was like too small compared to your demo room. You know its not about the money, its about getting the right setup you want.

I will definitely come next time. Already decided.. :) Its ok if i wont get the movie demo..

U r welcome to take a demo again. I did gave you an option where you could try the smaller setup in your room first which is well within your budget and if you are not satisfied with its performance there, then you are open to upgrading your Fronts and Sub without any financial losses.

Ashish.

Hi,

I was just thinking whether i will be able to place the speakers correctly in my new appt or not. Like i said the setup will be for my bedroom and i dont see how to place the speakers correctly in this architechture.

Here is the floor plan of my appt. Was just thinking if there are any alterations poosible so that i tell the same to builder.

1425_big.jpg

Thanks..

Hi guyz!!!!!!
its gr8 to stumble upon a place like hfv....I m into elctronic music (psytrane) & want to have the following spec no matter what the room size...pls comment

NOW,
what I want to drive is,
1) A pair of monstrous floorstanders (Polk Tsi400)
2) center speaker from klipsch maybe
3) a pair of bookshelf babies
4) and last but the most critical being an "EARTH SHATTERING" sub, throwing frequencies down to 20hz which are not audible through ears but which are felt in the bones.........

Since this is the start to my hifi passion, kindly recommend me an ebook or any other source which wont go into the mathematics of audio electronics and give a good guidance in home theatre tech..........

Hai Akhil considering your room size and budget, i have a bit different idea for ur HT setup

1) for speakers u may consider BOSE Acoustimass 10 Series IV Home Entertainment Speaker System. Costs Rs. 58K. I have auditioned it it's really amazing for both movie & music.
OR,
BOSE Acoustimass 6 Series III Home Entertainment Speaker System. Costs Rs. 38K. It's experience also same.
http://www.boseindia.com/retail/bose-product-show.aspx?Cat_Id=657

2) for AV receiver go for Denon 1611. ( Costs arround 30-33 K, e-Bay India Price)

3) for BD Player Sony BDP S370. (Cost 9-10K)

To get proper sound & visual exp. always use hardware player than PC.
Just go for an audition to your nearest BOSE centre and then decide.......

Subhasish

Hi Subha,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have actually made my mind for PSB Alpha T1s and Q Acoustics 2000C and 2010s.
Didnt get much help from Hifivision. Was expecting a lot but hardly got any reply. :( :(

Now i m looking for a good sub. Def Tech is good but didnt get the demo anywhere in NCR. Dont even know the prices. Earthquake i heard from somewhere but need to check if they are really good.

Thanks for the suggestion though.. :)

Now i m looking for a good sub. Def Tech is good but didnt get the demo anywhere in NCR. Dont even know the prices.

Hi Akhil,
Let us know your requirement and We might be able to help you out with it, as we are also the dealers of Definitive Technologies.

Ashish

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back