My First HT - Cost effective Mid Range - Step by Step

For viewing distance of 13-15 feet (Lcos-Lower fill rate), Screen size 135" is ?

• OK

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Not ok

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Swamy_HT

Hi,

1. I am constructing a bedroom cum HT.

Room Size: 11x15
Planing for Full Light control: Yes
Budget: Approx. 3 L (Exclude building construction)

2. Spending Ratio

I would like to spend in the below order (High to low)

a) projector
b) Audio
c) screen
d) Room Ambience setup (False ceinling, Carpet, Lighting, Wallpaper...etc)
e) Cabling

i) Some one in the forum writes 35K for projector
and ready to spend 80K for audio

ii) Some other in the forum spend lot of money on Sound proof walls,
False ceiling...etc.But ending with low cost projector & screen

- Is there any specific reason for i & ii?

3. Room Ambience setup

Apply wall putty on walls and roof.
Paint with matt finish black color for entire room.

4. Cabling

To avoid by spending more on HDMI cabling, planing to place my
settopbox (Sun Direct HD) and PS3
near to my projector.(Not near the screen)
[Any issues on this:confused:]
(Constructing an embedded shelf on the back wall)

5. Audio

I decided to use my exiting BOSE Companion (Computer speakers).
I will upgrade later time to Polk (or) KEF.

5. Projector Selection

I spent long time on all reviews about various projector in mid range
(Benq W7000, Panasonic AE8000, JVC X-35, Epson-5020, Sony HW50ES).

I dropped Epson & Panny for 3-LCD tech.
(screen door,Color Shift,Poor sharpness)

I narrow down to BenqW7000, JVC X-35, Sony HW50ES.

All below quotes i got from Chennai.

Benq W7000 - 1.9L
JVC X35 - 2.9L :mad:
Sony HW50ES - 2.2L :thumbsup:

Benq - Dropped due to poor contrast, poor DI, and it cost near to Sony.
JVC - Dropped due to Lower Lumence,Gaming lag time and Higher Cost.

Sony - Finalized.

(Still not happy with Image Artifcates due to Reality Creation,
But i can't go beyond this budget to Sony HW95ES (or) JVC 4K projectors)

5. Screen Slection

Still in progress. Budget around 40k to max.60k
(I can't strech the budget to Stewart or Da-Lite)

Currently focusing on Elite-CineWhite Fixed frame screen and Grandview
Home cinema series.
(Is it GrandView CNV series can be used for HD movies?:confused:)

I am planing to hook 135" (If elite), or 133" (If grandview)
I am not getting the change (demo) to feel how actually it will be.

(Note: When i bought Panny Plasma 50" for my bedroom [11x12],
Intially i felt that, i bought oversize, But after 2 to 3 months, i feel it is
small and not getting the immerse effect)

Is this screen size [135"] O.K to view from 13 to 15 feet? :confused:
(THX recomends 13 to 14 feet)

Any help on screen size/selection would be appreciated.

Soon, I will load pictures on every progress.

for 3 lakh set up...if pj is 2 lakh..how will you acomodate audio..
well jvc is worth it..low lumen..yes but thats sufficient..
well you can start from here and add audio step by step..
but if final 3 lahkh budget..
please replan..

pj will be 1 lakh..audio will be 1.2 lakh..room traetment 25k..
players and cables..another 40k..
seats extra...

and please dump your bose pc speakers..give it to your son/brother..or keep it in another room..

even in 1.2 lakh audio set up wont be complete..imho..a 50 k avr and 60k cebtre and fromts will be there..
buy sub and surround later..

if you are strict about pj over 2.5 kah..consider that jvc..worth it..

at 1 lahk there are epson 6100,optoma hd 20 and vrouis other models..

also there is screen cost..however for time being a white wall is good enough..buy it later.. da lite is good option..

(Note: When i bought Panny Plasma 50" for my bedroom [11x12],
Intially i felt that, i bought oversize, But after 2 to 3 months, i feel it is
small and not getting the immerse effect

:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:....i say this to everyone multiple times..inside and outside forum...people say first..oh so big..i dont need..i would be blind...this would create sea sickness etc etc...but at the end...well you bro told the truth

Hi Swamy,

Welcome to the world of HT. I am also in the same way as urs. taken the first step towards HT (its not dedicated though).

In my opinion, the preference is up to individuals. As quoted by many FM in other threads - its better to go in stages if budget is in constraint.

HT is a big dream :) .. My best wishes..

Keep us all updated on the progress.

Last edited:
Prosenjit is right. Sound is more than half of the movie. If you don't have a sound system that hits hard, your HT is practically useless (in my opinion). IMHO you must provision atleast 1.3 lakh for the sound (receiver, speakers, subwoofer). Also subwoofer is half of the movie sound experience - you need a sub that shakes your insides. Acoustic treatment is also of utmost importance if you want to watch an entire movie without ear fatigue.

:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:....i say this to everyone multiple times..inside and outside forum...people say first..oh so big..i dont need..i would be blind...this would create sea sickness etc etc...but at the end...well you bro told the truth

I second this. I watch a 120" screen from a distance of 11-12 feet and it is great. No pixels nothing even from dvds. So for 15 feet, i'd go with 135" screen without hesitation.

Hi,

I agree 100% with Prosenjit/Sash on that Sound is also equally important for watching today's movies. But always SOUND is 'Pakka vaathiyam' (Some thing like side actor), Where as the VISUAL is the 'hero' while watching movies. Our brain will prilimarly engage on VISUALS and then secondary is DIALOG (even people can see other language movies without understaning dialogs), and
atlast the surround soud field which comes recent years (5.1, 7.1,11.1)

Accordingly, I will plan for my 2nd Phase intially with Good mid range Receiver, Left,Right channels with a sub. And then after a while i will add Center,Rear channels.

I do not want to compramise on Audio quality as well as Video by distrubuting my budgete to entry level projectors/speakers. I would like to stick on MID RANGE on both Audio/Video.

for 3 lakh set up...if pj is 2 lakh..how will you acomodate audio..
well jvc is worth it..low lumen..yes but thats sufficient..
well you can start from here and add audio step by step..
but if final 3 lahkh budget..
please replan....

Thanks. I agree JVC is good. But the projector itself 3L quoted by ProFX and more over JVC availablity here is very less. The 3L budget is excludes AUDIO.
I have separate plan for AUDIO on phase-2.

Also subwoofer is half of the movie sound experience - you need a sub that shakes your insides.

I have some questions here.
Even though i have BOSE computer speaker attached to my Panny, It has a sub. But while wathcing normal televison programs (Relayed on stero), The Audio system automatically converting to 5.1 and SUB is giving unwanted 'BOOB' sound more and here, which i do not like. This is not the case with while the relay is on 5.1 (or) watching 5.1 blue rays.

The same scenario will continue,if i buy an AV receiver?

Thanks.

I am attaching my current room construction picture (Taken on low resolution)

Attachments

• DSCF8044.jpg
    DSCF8044.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 647
I am attaching my current room construction picture (Taken on low resolution)

hi,

I had also started work on a HT and the dimensions are similar 15 x 11 ft. I had also started a thread (http://www.hifivision.com/home-theatre-projectors-screens/44720-buiding-home-theatre-scratch.html).

I had read about your comments on screen size. I had been working on a rough sketch with whatever little knowledge I have on this to make an estimate of the screen size I can accomodate and placement of speakers etc.,

The attached sketch is still to be completed but it may also help you to visualize the placement as it is similar to your room dimensions. The sketch still does not have the rack for AVR yet.

The speakers are scaled to the dimension of the drg.

Would appreciate advise onthe same.

Last edited:
hi,

I had also started work on a HT and the dimensions are similar 15 x 11 ft. I had also started a thread (http://www.hifivision.com/home-theatre-projectors-screens/44720-buiding-home-theatre-scratch.html).

I had read about your comments on screen size. I had been working on a rough sketch with whatever little knowledge I have on this to make an estimate of the screen size I can accomodate and placement of speakers etc.,

The attached sketch is still to be completed but it may also help you to visualize the placement as it is similar to your room dimensions. The sketch still does not have the rack for AVR yet.

The speakers are scaled to the dimension of the drg.

Would appreciate advise onthe same.

Please use this CarltonBale.com ? Home Theater Calculator: Viewing Distance, Screen Size to calcualte Screen W/H based on Screen diagnal size.

Your given diagram not representing 16:9 format, For 9 Feet (108 Inches), Screen height will be 4.4 feet (Not 6 feet).

I will not go for Tower speakers, I will go for Book shelf speakers. (Tower speakers will be more louder for this room size. I am planing to hook near bottom of the screen (or) Side walls nrear the mid height of the screen.

I hope the XLS (Given in the URL) will help you lot.

Last edited:
Booked Sony VPL-HW50ES. It will take approx.15 days for delivery.

Attachments

• Booked.jpg
    Booked.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 276
Congrats on your purchase.:clapping:

What is the price & have you ordered it online?

Based on their online price i went to the shop directly and booked.
Attached the details. I have done this excercise over 2 months for my sort listed projectors.

Still i am not sure i got the best price or not. But i have selected product i wish to.

Attachments

• Purchase Price Bold.jpg
    Purchase Price Bold.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Any place in Chennai/India, where i can get Da-Lite screens at good price

I am looking for Fixed Frame
133" Cinema Vision [Gain 1.3] (or) 133" Video Spectra [Gain 1.5]

Information on Dealers/Online/Shops/Contact details are appreciated.:)
(OR)
Can i buy directrly from Global easy buy ebay india? (Costing 50-60k)

Need your assitance.:confused:

Attached the details. I have done this excercise over 2 months for my sort listed projectors.

Still i am not sure i got the best price or not. But i have selected product i wish to.

Good buy. Hows the projector? happen to project on wall? hows is the picture quality?

Good buy. Hows the projector? happen to project on wall? hows is the picture quality?

Last sunday only booked, It will take 10 to 15 days for delivery.(As per vendor). Once received i will post the pictures of unboxing my selection. (waiting for the happy moments)

Before i select this projector, I have done the review for all my sortlisted projectors on Projector Reviews: Business, Pico, Home Theater Projectors, I have downloaded similar sample picture for each projector 'image quality' section to my local machine (PC), After that i compared the same image. Found this one is the sharpest compared to all in Mid Range.

SHARPNESS is the most primay factor for projector. Because while your viewing experience change from Flat Panel TV (Plasma) to BIG screen (Projector), The first thing you will notice, lack of sharpness of the image.

Any how, I have purchased this based on theory only (Mostly right from my past purchase experience), Once i recive, i will post the end result (Picture quality).

Last edited:

WOW ! You had done a very good workout.:clapping:

congrats...
non electronic goods like screen...is pretty safe to buy from geb..if avilabe cheaper...
i think it is cheaper than local stores..
go da lite..u wont regret..
if u want save money..can buy a da lite simple B type..and diy it by proffessional help..into a fixed frame one..

Back