My first HT setup

Two suggestions,
1. Move the AVR to Centre channels cabinet if possible and the Centre channel to AVRs position. Centre channel will be too low and the cabinet might absorb most of the frequencies.
If AVR is a tight fit in cabinet you can keep the AVR next to the Centre channel on top. AVR will require good ventilation.

2. If possible move the glass table away, soke frequencies and direction will direct hit the table first than you.

Until surrounds arrive, listen music on the system in stereo or pure direct. Enjoy it.
The AVR would have only half an inch space on all sides so I placed it on top.

I was thinking of placing a triangular block under the center channel so it is pointed to the face. I've got a small wooden piece to do this. Also, is not visible in the picture but the front of the center channel is half a centimetre out of the cabinet.

The glass table will be placed away while watching movies

The AVR would have only half an inch space on all sides so I placed it on top.

I was thinking of placing a triangular block under the center channel so it is pointed to the face. I've got a small wooden piece to do this. Also, is not visible in the picture but the front of the center channel is half a centimetre out of the cabinet.

The glass table will be placed away while watching movies
Try placing it on top and see if it sounds better. I have mine placed in a shelf too which is open on all sides with the front baffle a good couple of inches forward in a similar fashion and yet it sounds a bit constricted. Unfortunately, i don’t have the option of keeping it on top as it obscures the screen.

Try placing it on top and see if it sounds better. I have mine placed in a shelf too which is open on all sides with the front baffle a good couple of inches forward in a similar fashion and yet it sounds a bit constricted. Unfortunately, i don’t have the option of keeping it on top as it obscures the screen.

How would the cabinet cause this issue?

How would the cabinet cause this issue?
Because of the sound radiating internally between the upper and lower shelves (and in your case, the sode and the back as well) of the cabinet i assume?

Basically, you’re putting your speaker inside a second speaker cabinet.

Try it for yourself and see if it makes a difference - no extra cost involved. :)

Last edited:
Because of the sound radiating internally between the upper and lower shelves (and in your case, the sode and the back as well) of the cabinet i assume?

Basically, you’re putting your speaker inside a second speaker cabinet.

Try it for yourself and see if it makes a difference - no extra cost involved. :)
Placed center channel on top of the cabinet and the receiver beside it.

I got in touch with a few stand makers. I need stands for the rear speakers. Most stands are 2.5-3ft in height. I was looking for something that's 5ft. The seller says that 2.5-3ft is generally what sells the most. What y'all think?

Placed center channel on top of the cabinet and the receiver beside it.
Did you notice any audible difference? If not, you can revert back to the original config. However, before that, do try placing your fronts wider apart since you have the space. It’ll give you a wider soundstage with more space and air between instruments and in turn, also exemplify what your centre channel does placed on top.
I got in touch with a few stand makers. I need stands for the rear speakers. Most stands are 2.5-3ft in height. I was looking for something that's 5ft. The seller says that 2.5-3ft is generally what sells the most. What y'all think?
i would imagine that you would want the sound to be at ear level when you're seated instead of the details flying over your head with a 5ft stand, unless you watch movies standing up. You cannot angle speakers down with home hifi speaker stands.

Treble is very directional unless the tweeters are capable of excellent vertical and horizontal dispersion, something that is usually better in much higher end speakers or ones that adopt waveguides or coaxial drivers.

One option is to get a professional stand which is height adjustable, something like the onstage sms6000, but it won't look great.

Another option is to wall mount your speakers if they allow for such an option in which case, you can angle them down with certain mounts.

Last edited:
Did you notice any audible difference? If not, you can revert back to the original config. However, before that, do try placing your fronts wider apart since you have the space. It’ll give you a wider soundstage with more space and air between instruments and in turn, also exemplify what your centre channel does placed on top.

i would imagine that you would want the sound to be at ear level when you're seated instead of the details flying over your head with a 5ft stand, unless you watch movies standing up. You cannot angle speakers down with home hifi speaker stands.

Treble is very directional unless the tweeters are capable of excellent vertical and horizontal dispersion, something that is usually better in much higher end speakers or ones that adopt waveguides or coaxial drivers.

One option is to get a professional stand which is height adjustable, something like the onstage sms6000, but it won't look great.

Another option is to wall mount your speakers if they allow for such an option in which case, you can angle them down with certain mounts.
I think it does sound a bit better.

I don't have much space on the FR side as there's a door to the balcony there.

About the stands, onstage sms6000 looks bad, I ordered 3ft tall steel stands from Tamil Nadu. Here's what it looks like, except mine will be full black.

Attachments

• IMG-20210527-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20210527-WA0009.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 39
Heard the stands need to be filled to get better sound. Anyone aware of this?
Filling up with sun dried sand (to prevent any bacterial/fungal growth within the pipe) would tighten up the bass. I filled up my DIY stands upto half the length of the pipe. Please check if you have a provision to open up and fill the pipe.

Filling up with sun dried sand (to prevent any bacterial/fungal growth within the pipe) would tighten up the bass. I filled up my DIY stands upto half the length of the pipe. Please check if you have a provision to open up and fill the pipe.

Where do I get the sand from?

What I meant is, you'd need some special type of sand, right? Someone told me aquarium sand would be best, another one says cement should work. One of the sites says 'white river sand'.
There are a variety of fillers - leadshots, river sand.. I just picked up half bag of sand from a nearby construction site. :)

There are a variety of fillers - leadshots, river sand.. I just picked up half bag of sand from a nearby construction site. :)
Lockdown extended and it'll be a while before the guy can start manufacturing the stands. I'm looking at other options at the moment. Will something like this be good enough?

Any furniture guy should be able to build this for cheap.

Attachments

• il_300x300.3065720178_knbl.jpg
    il_300x300.3065720178_knbl.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 31
The return key and the program key on my receiver remote won't work. I've reset the receiver but it still doesn't. Has anyone faced an issue like this before?

I'm thinking of adding more distance between the front FS, just one more feet or two but I'm falling short of the wire. Is extending by joining another 3-4ft wire on each side (by twisting and covering with insulation tape) a good idea? Would it affect the sound quality in any way?

I'm thinking of adding more distance between the front FS, just one more feet or two but I'm falling short of the wire. Is extending by joining another 3-4ft wire on each side (by twisting and covering with insulation tape) a good idea? Would it affect the sound quality in any way?
Single wire without joints preferable.
Try getting Amazonbasics speaker wire.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back