My first speaker demo

noknor

Last week I visited an audio showroom to audition some speakers.
That was the first time I listened to hi fi speakers in any showroom.
I want to recollect my experiences here.

The first thing I noted was the difference in the sounds, it was immediately obvious.
I realised that all those times I was listening to music on my computer the sound was mashed up(don't know the right word here).
Whereas during the demo, the sound was something like crystal clear, I could hear the sound distinctly from every individual instrument and at the same time it was all in unison, I mean those individual sounds that I could recogonise where like parts of a whole and did not stick out.

The next thing I realised was somewhat strange and eerie.
As I was listening to the music, after a couple of minutes I sat with my eyes closed and suddenly I realised that I was not hearing the sounds through my ear. I was literally "feeling" the sound somewhere in front of me above my eyebrows. I immediately opened my eyes to see what was in front of me, but there was nothing and I could still "feel" the sound somewhere in front of me.

Then I thought something was wrong and I came out of the demo room.

Hi Noknor,

Welcome to the Form and good you started with a Speaker Demo.
Yes Music is just not completely relay on the Amp\speaker\source\cables\Interior.Its Combo of All.

All out here like to feel the real music out of the Machines and so spend lots of time in research ,Discussion Audition and finally go with what they Like. There are exception that few love the colored than the Natural or Live Music reproduction.

So what were the Combo you were auditioning?How many brand and Models you tried?Whats your Current set-up?

Anything to be shared specifically on Signature of the speakers which you listen to?

Finally Have you Bought any?

I have a Yamaha as500 and I am looking for matching speakers.
I also plan to buy a DAC to connect to my computer and amp.

Yahoo0121,
Just like to know on whether you have listen to the Yummy and Klipsch ? really the combo is suprise- I have head Yummy paring with some speakers and Klipsch seems to be Bright side Loaded with Horn tweeter, so wasnt Bright and Bright work fine?

Sorry for such direct question.

I have a Yamaha as500 and I am looking for matching speakers.
I also plan to buy a DAC to connect to my computer and amp.

Which speaker did you audition that day?

There is nothing like ideal match, but probable good match. It all depends on your hearing taste.

That is a decent amp to start with. So, next time carry your amp with you to the showroom. It is a must actually. Else you will not be able to judge the sound properly.

And let us know your budge for DAC and speaker. That will narrow down the suggestion list.

Decent speakers to try out are-
PSB Alpha B1,
MS Aviano 2,
MA BX2

The demo was with Tannoy and Cambridge Audio.
Yes, I agree that I should be taking the amp next time with me.

My budget for the speaker is 25k and 10k for the DAC. I am looking to buy only used or demo units as I am on a budget.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back