My first Turn Table.

Ankur604

Hi all. So I decided it's about time I enter the realm of vinyl.
I started looking for TT's, I have couple of options now, I'm not sure about them. Would very appreciate the opinions of people who are familiar with TT's.

There is a Marantz TT351 in mint condition for 15k

Technics SL-D4 with new cartridge for 7.5k.

Should I wait.? Should I go with any one of them. My budget is 15-20K , leaned towards vintage one's rather than new one's.

Thanks in advance guys.!

If I had to choose, I'd go with the SL D4. a technics direct drive, and a linear tracker at 7.5k looks like a great deal. It sure is better than most stuff you can buy new at that price point. How is the cosmetic condition?

Just make sure the linear tracking mechanism works fine. those things are a bit complex.

Of course, if you wait, you just might get a better deal :)

Welcome to this lovely world of vinyl mate.

I would suggest you stay away from these linear tracking TTs. Lot of issues pop up with these and really no juice in them and you will want to upgrade shortly. No resale value as well. You have a healthy budget. Hold on till you get a decent one. Open a wanted thread as well.

It's late now, will catch up tmr and see if we can find something for you.

Cheers...

How is the cosmetic condition?

Just make sure the linear tracking mechanism works fine. those things are a bit complex.

Of course, if you wait, you just might get a better deal :)

Hey, Thanks for the reply. I've no idea about the condition. Just recieved a mail from a seller. Will contact him and update the details.

Last edited:

I would suggest you stay away from these linear tracking TTs. Lot of issues pop up with these and really no juice in them and you will want to upgrade shortly. No resale value as well. You have a healthy budget. Hold on till you get a decent one. Open a wanted thread as well.

Cheers...

Thank you!! Very excited. My first vinyl is on the way! I want to start enjoying it ASAP. I've a few old one's. But "juno reactor- golden sun of the great east" is my first buy. Thanks for the warm welcome . I will start a wanted thread as soon as I figure out what exactly I want, I'm in very confused state :/
Hopefully something good turns up.

both the TT's appear to have P mount cartridges - which tend to limit the upgradeablity. The stock needle is a .7mm conical - You can get much better stuff at your budget

Cheers...

Thank you!! I will open a wanted thread as soon as I figure out what I want, I'm extremely confused. Hopefully I will find something good soon.

both the TT's appear to have P mount cartridges - which tend to limit the upgradeablity. The stock needle is a .7mm conical - You can get much better stuff at your budget

Thanks for the info. I was not able to find any sort of info on that Marantz model.

Please do not buy either of those. Both are automatics and crap. I'd suggest you stay away from any automatic turntable if you care about audio quality.

Please do not buy either of those. Both are automatics and crap. I'd suggest you stay away from any automatic turntable if you care about audio quality.

i had that in mind,people complaining abt the automatics and the obvious extra things to worry abt that come with the automatic Tone arm action. but the urge to get a TT soon made me to seek out any TT's in my near vicinity :(

Honestly I miss my First TT, a basic JVC semi auto.

I have a Technics SL 1210, But I'm not able to fall asleep listening to a record any more. have to get up once the record ends!

Honestly I miss my First TT, a basic JVC semi auto.

I have a Technics SL 1210, But I'm not able to fall asleep listening to a record any more. have to get up once the record ends!

Want to trade away that 1210 for something with which u don't have to worry about falling asleep ?? :p :)

Last edited:
Hello All,

I'm also in the same boat and on a look out for my first turntable, and I have no idea what so ever on the Turntables, I have recently acquired HEED Audio MM/MC phonostage, ( Heed Audio - Questar ) and I have a Naim Nait 5i2 Amp.

sorry if I'm interfering in the thread, rather then opening a new thread with the same question, I taught I will include my query into this.

thanks in advance for any input and light.

P.S. my budget is around the same around 15K to 18K

Regards
Pramod

Last edited:
Its a wonderful experience, starting off on a vinyl journey. The road is a long one and there is much to be learnt on the way. Ensure that you get off to a great start and you will have a truly enjoyable time. The start of this journey requires 3 basics to fall in place:

1) some kind of a record collection of even a few records
2) a turntable to play them
3) suitable amplification for your turntable

of the 3 basics, the most ignored, but the most important is the first one. There is no use having the best of equipment with no records to play. Try to accquire a few, maybe 5 or 10 records before you start. If you have just one or two, you'll end up playing these all day long :)

The turntable comes next. There are many options out there, both old and new. If your knowledge of TTs is very basic or non-existant, better to start with a new one. All you have to do is to set it up and start playing. If you have some knowledge or you've experienced TTs before or you are more adventerous or if you are not on a very tight budget where any spend has to offer you assured returns, then go the vintage route. Here it is important to be patient, observant, eagle-eyed and in short, careful. You can either buy a TT from a friend or fellow enthusiast or you can go to a dealer (again, these come in many varieties). Getting a TT from a friend is the best option but only if you can see it play and experience it for a few days or so before you buy it. Buying over the phone is always not reccomended. When buying from dealers, take a friend who knows stuff, along with you and inspect in person before buying. Never buy from dealers over the phone. There are broadly 2 types of dealers. The first category are pure traders. They procure TTs and sell them for a profit. They usually appear more dodgy but with them, if you can manage the pricing and keep an eagle-eye open, they are the better persons to go to. This is because they really don't know much about what they are actually selling and you may end up with something really good, at a steal. What you need to look out for is complete functionality and nonstandard spares replacement. Get the model details before hand, do some research online with photographs, also take someone who knows his stuff with you and you should be fine. There is a second category of dealer out there who know their stuff, are probably enthusiasts themselves and even service stuff. It is advisable to be more cautious when dealing with them. Enthusiasts-cum-dealers follow a simple logic. They keep the better stuff for themselves and sell the rest. Also some of them practice component transplantation. If they come across TTs with good quality or newish components, they may retain these as spares or use them in their own equipment, and replace them with alternatives, OEM or otherwise. Always cross check info presented with 3rd parties to verify. Also inspect in person before buying. Another important factor is to always be very sensitive towards cosmetics. Remember the vinyl journey is not a short one and you may have to upgrade at some point. Hence if you have a TT in pathetic cosmetic condition, its not going to have many takers. Dealers will say that "this break or that bend does not effect the performance" but stay away from poor cosmetics. It is possible to get vintage equipment in semi or relatively new condition if you be patient. If you are looking to buy anything below Rs.15000/- stay local (buy in the Indian market). If you are looking to buy anything over that range, don't buy in India and prefer to buy from places like Germany (through ebay.de) or UK (through ebay.co.uk). Make yourself familiar with import regulations before venturing on a foreign shopping spree.

Most people price TTs based on inputs from the world market. Don't let this deject you. Always be brave enough to pitch your price. Remember, in the world of audio, those who go to the pre-used market almost never buy expensive stuff so the dealer may be just pushing his luck. If he does not bend, just move on. There will always be something better waiting around the corner.

For example, recently I tried to buy a vintage Shure MM cart from a friend. He was asking for Rs.5000/- with a new non-OEM replacement stylus. I really wanted this one but could not see any value in spending 5k for it, hence let it pass. 2 weeks later, when my Lenco L75 stock tonearm arrived from Toronto after servicing, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the guy who serviced it for me (a good friend of mine) had actually enclosed a few vintage Shure cartridges with it, for me in the pack as a gift. This particular Shure cartridge was one of them. At times, one gets lucky in this business :)

When buying a new TT, you will get a new cartridge and stylus along with it. When buying an old one, ensure that the seller gives you a good cart and stylus. A good cart with a broken stylus is a waste as a replacement stylus costs almost as much as the cart. If you chose to upgrade there are many options out there but its always better to buy from abroad as prices in the Indian market are absurd.

Finally on the equipment side, most often ignored but very important. To start with, you can get a good integrated amp with an inbuilt phonostage. However at some point you will have to upgrade to a dedicated phonostage for better sound. The journey goes on and on.

Good luck!!

Last edited:
Its a wonderful experience, starting off on a vinyl journey. The road is a long one and there is much to be learnt on the way. Ensure that you get off to a great start and you will have a truly enjoyable time. The start of this journey requires 3 basics to fall in place:

1) some kind of a record collection of even a few records
2) a turntable to play them
3) suitable amplification for your turntable

of the 3 basics, the most ignored, but the most important is the first one. There is no use having the best of equipment with no records to play. Try to accquire a few, maybe 5 or 10 records before you start. If you have just one or two, you'll end up playing these all day long :)

The turntable comes next. There are many options out there, both old and new. If your knowledge of TTs is very basic or non-existant, better to start with a new one. All you have to do is to set it up and start playing. If you have some knowledge or you've experienced TTs before or you are more adventerous or if you are not on a very tight budget where any spend has to offer you assured returns, then go the vintage route. Here it is important to be patient, observant, eagle-eyed and in short, careful. You can either buy a TT from a friend or fellow enthusiast or you can go to a dealer (again, these come in many varieties). Getting a TT from a friend is the best option but only if you can see it play and experience it for a few days or so before you buy it. Buying over the phone is always not reccomended. When buying from dealers, take a friend who knows stuff, along with you and inspect in person before buying. Never buy from dealers over the phone. There are broadly 2 types of dealers. The first category are pure traders. They procure TTs and sell them for a profit. They usually appear more dodgy but with them, if you can manage the pricing and keep an eagle-eye open, they are the better persons to go to. This is because they really don't know much about what they are actually selling and you may end up with something really good, at a steal. What you need to look out for is complete functionality and nonstandard spares replacement. Get the model details before hand, do some research online with photographs, also take someone who knows his stuff with you and you should be fine. There is a second category of dealer out there who know their stuff, are probably enthusiasts themselves and even service stuff. It is advisable to be more cautious when dealing with them. Enthusiasts-cum-dealers follow a simple logic. They keep the better stuff for themselves and sell the rest. Also some of them practice component transplantation. If they come across TTs with good quality or newish components, they may retain these as spares or use them in their own equipment, and replace them with alternatives, OEM or otherwise. Always cross check info presented with 3rd parties to verify. Also inspect in person before buying. Another important factor is to always be very sensitive towards cosmetics. Remember the vinyl journey is not a short one and you may have to upgrade at some point. Hence if you have a TT in pathetic cosmetic condition, its not going to have many takers. Dealers will say that "this break or that bend does not effect the performance" but stay away from poor cosmetics. It is possible to get vintage equipment in semi or relatively new condition if you be patient. If you are looking to buy anything below Rs.15000/- stay local (buy in the Indian market). If you are looking to buy anything over that range, don't buy in India and prefer to buy from places like Germany (through ebay.de) or UK (through ebay.co.uk). Make yourself familiar with import regulations before venturing on a foreign shopping spree.

Most people price TTs based on inputs from the world market. Don't let this deject you. Always be brave enough to pitch your price. Remember, in the world of audio, those who go to the pre-used market almost never buy expensive stuff so the dealer may be just pushing his luck. If he does not bend, just move on. There will always be something better waiting around the corner.

For example, recently I tried to buy a vintage Shure MM cart from a friend. He was asking for Rs.5000/- with a new non-OEM replacement stylus. I really wanted this one but could not see any value in spending 5k for it, hence let it pass. 2 weeks later, when my Lenco L75 stock tonearm arrived from Toronto after servicing, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the guy who serviced it for me (a good friend of mine) had actually enclosed a few vintage Shure cartridges with it, for me in the pack as a gift. This particular Shure cartridge was one of them. At times, one gets lucky in this business :)

When buying a new TT, you will get a new cartridge and stylus along with it. When buying an old one, ensure that the seller gives you a good cart and stylus. A good cart with a broken stylus is a waste as a replacement stylus costs almost as much as the cart. If you chose to upgrade there are many options out there but its always better to buy from abroad as prices in the Indian market are absurd.

Finally on the equipment side, most often ignored but very important. To start with, you can get a good integrated amp with an inbuilt phonostage. However at some point you will have to upgrade to a dedicated phonostage for better sound. The journey goes on and on.

Good luck!!
Thank you reubensm,

A very detailed explanation, i really appreciate it.

I always wanted to buy the turntable from my childhood, though i don't know how it works and all i know is something vintage kind of CD player stuff and later on it vanished as years pass by. Now after joining HFV, it increased my interest, I never listened to vinyl till now, so am thinking to experiment the experience. I was looking for amazon for some turntables and i came across the following - Since i dont know anything about turntables, i thought of buying something for less price.

Amazon.com: Audio Technica AT-LP60 Fully Automatic Belt Driven Turntable: Musical Instruments

Could some one please suggest me other options.

I started off on similar ground. We had a turntable all along at home and I always wanted to have one of my own, since my child hood. I started off on my own with a humble Teac P988 belt drive which I later upgraded to a Technics SLBD20B belt drive. Then came my Technics SL3200 Direct Drive TT and since then, I've never really had the need to look elsewhere. I have recently indulged in more expensive heavy weights like the Garrard 401, Lenco L75 and a friend's Technics SP25 but even today, I still enjoy listening to my Technics SL3200 and have a lot of regard for it. Any Technics semi automatic or manual turntable with a s-shaped tonearm willl give you years of listening pleasure. However ensure you buy one in mint cosmetic condition. If a turntable is in poor cosmetic condition, it would have been left in storage or would have been beaten to death. Good cosmetic condition relates to sparingly used, well cared for and more. Don't go by the words of the seller. The key is to be patient till you find one. With these posts you will receive offers from sellers, don't go at face value. Put back what you get, on the forum for discussion and our knowledgeable FMs will help you decide.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back