My Journey so far

stereorules

This is going to be a longish post ...So I'll ask you guys to be patient ...
My earlier system, if I may call it so, was an Aiwa mini component system that I had bought at the time of 1997 world cup .
DSCN3789.jpg
As you can see, its rated in PMPO ..Not very cool ...The RMS rating is 100 + 100.
The speaker is
DSCN3794.jpg
Have heard some CDs on this . So from this, I wanted to move up the chain, so to speak. Didnt know where to begin. Didnt want to spend too much money. So started off by picking up the Sansa Clip+ which is a very VFM player. Bought the Koss PortaPro. I could hear the difference from my Aiwa ...This was a big step forward...The highs were crisp , just the way I liked...The vocals were clear ..

But the main rig was altogether different. Auditioned a few speakers ..Wharf 10.5 , 9.5, 10.2, 10.1 ... Some local ones ..

Somehow, I felt something was missing ..I was not able to find any great improvement from my current system ..Maybe I dont have good ears .
When I listen to music, I need the 'WOW' factor ..Thats something that cannot be described ...It has to be felt..I felt it with the Polk TSI 300 ..I just felt that this was the speaker that I was looking for ...But then, more opinions and readings ..Confusion ..
Meanwhile, the question of the amp was also there ....At about the same time, linuxguru came up with his MyRef kit . Lots of people suggested that this was the best sounding amp at that price range and would seriously beat amps worth 15 - 20k ..So took the plunge into DIY ..bought the kit for MyRef and built it ..When I initially connected it to my Aiwa Bookshelves, I could notice some difference from the Aiwa system but not much ..
DSCN3788.jpg
I know....Thats an AKAI tape deck ..I bought it in a second hand market for Rs 200 .Mainly for 2 reasons ..If I were to build an enclosure for my Amp, it was going to take more time ..This would be much faster..And secondly, the VU meters were too good to let go ..I'm a fan of old VU Meters ..I have fitted the amp into the deck but have not got the meters runnig.

The hunt for speakers was on ..I stumbled on the MS Carnival offer that was mentioned ..Took the plunge again ..
DSCN3787.jpg
DSCN3791.jpg

Sound seems to be good right now ..I can hear differences from my aiwa system ..Even tho' the aiwa is spec'd as 100+100, I now very much doubt it ..The Myref is rated at 35-40W and it beats it ..But the characteristics of sound is different on both ...The Aiwa, as the vol gets louder, was not increasing the power of the lower freqs ..But the MyRef seems to be having a flat curve right to the top ..

Now you guys maybe thinking why I'm comparing with the AIWA system on an audio forum ? Reason is that is the only system that I have heard for a long time ...And also, I couldnt "hear" much differences with other Wharfie speakers ...So is the Aiwa system so good or my ears so bad ?? I'm sure most of you would go for the latter ...I would sure love to compare side by side ....But thats for another day ..

Right now, the next part of my journey has started ..Source ...I'm planning for a Music PC ...Will keep you guys posted.

All the best in your journey. My own was similiar and had a Sony G330 from 1997-98.

I decided to spend about 60,000 to upgrade to a stereo component system and ended up spending 2.5 years and multiples of the budget to complete my set up.

Back