My LCD Died :( -- Any Plasma < 40K Full HD ... available??

sam9s

My LG LCD (47" LH70YR) is gone, started showing dead pixels, (if I can call them dead pixels) in the corners few months ago, and has increased with time. Now all corners and sides have a 2-3 inch blackish shade, which is pretty evident under light colored scenes. Plus an occasional restart problem has creeped up for no reason.

Basically its gone. :sad::sad:

Did a google and it has given me an impression, that the avg shelf life of an LCD/LED is like just 3-5 years ....:sad: I mean I spend like 75K on it 4 years back. I dont know about others but I can not afford like spending 50K+ every 3-4 years for TV ...????? How much truth is there in this fact.

This has given me a food of thought for my next TV purchase, not only I am not interested in LCD/LED, I am even more dis interested to spend like more than 30K on it, If I have to go with an LCD/LED. I am ok with a less diagonal size than wasting money on these 3-5 years life LCDs/LEDs.

My Question, is this plague also applicable with Plasmas, hope not, whats the avg life for a Plasma??? Also I do not want to spend max like 40K (lesser the better) on a TV. So is there a Plasma for around 35-40K. The only requirement I probably might have would be it should be 1080p, (and if possible 40"), and would avoid LG for that matter. rest I do not care for any feature.

Please guide and suggest.

regards
Sammy

Last edited:
hahahaha .. poor samdung , lg users

and plasma will die more fastly than lcd ..IR ..burnin etc ..need dark room.. more power.. more dead pixels than lcd.. ur better off with 30 inch CRT

one uncle wants to throw his 51 inch samsung plasma in dustbin .. due to cant watch in room with windows

always buy sony dear next time if u want 10 year life lcd

Last edited:
oh so samsung is also in the same Boat, what do you have a Sony and how long is it being performing ..???

oh so samsung is also in the same Boat, what do you have a Sony and how long is it being performing ..???

i have my old sony lcd since 6 years with no dead pixels

one more samdung pc monitor is there .. n just 6month it made many dead pixels but still i use it like that .. lost 10k money in samsung

sony hardware is the best ..thats why i took sony w950 and mind peace

but in ur stage .. u shud try ur luck in unreliable plasma .. lets c

My LG LCD (47" LH70YR) is gone, started showing dead pixels, (if I can call them dead pixels) in the corners few months ago, and has increased with time. Now all corners and sides have a 2-3 inch blackish shade, which is pretty evident under light colored scenes. Plus an occasional restart problem has creeped up for no reason.

Basically its gone. :sad::sad:

Did a google and it has given me an impression, that the avg shelf life of an LCD/LED is like just 3-5 years ....:sad: I mean I spend like 75K on it 4 years back. I dont know about others but I can not afford like spending 50K+ every 3-4 years for TV ...????? How much truth is there in this fact.

This has given me a food of thought for my next TV purchase, not only I am not interested in LCD/LED, I am even more dis interested to spend like more than 30K on it, If I have to go with an LCD/LED. I am ok with a less diagonal size than wasting money on these 3-5 years life LCDs/LEDs.

My Question, is this plague also applicable with Plasmas, hope not, whats the avg life for a Plasma??? Also I do not want to spend max like 40K (lesser the better) on a TV. So is there a Plasma for around 35-40K. The only requirement I probably might have would be it should be 1080p, (and if possible 40"), and would avoid LG for that matter. rest I do not care for any feature.

Please guide and suggest.

regards
Sammy

Hi Sammy,

Did u check with LG service centres, is it not repairable.May be some board problems which can be rectified. Did u got any quote for repairing.It is not about sony,samsung,Lg the modern day tvs whether it is lcd,led or plasma they are prone to issues.Not like the olden golden generations crts which last long for decades.

@Invisible you are crazy, don't you have basic courtesy for the fellow FMs .Grow up man .You need to be more civilized , these problems can happen to anyone.

Hi Subbu

Yes I will be trying the repair route, that might rectify the occasional restart problem, but dead pixels ??, I dont think is repairable, the service center will probably suggest to replace the complete screen. But will still contact the service center.

Mean time just wanted to have a quick suggestion from my fellow members here, what do they suggest if I have to go for a new TV.

All brands have problems,some more then others.

Sony uses LG,samsung,AUO panels,so if the panel is bad then it should effect Sony lcd/led tvs.But their image processing PCB and power supply and backlight are made by them and they still use Japanese capacitors.

Is your tv wall mounted?How often do you clean the internals of the tv?.

My few Sony lcds are 8 ,6.4 and 3 years old.But none of them are wall mounted ,they all have a good power stabilization from day one and the internals like PCB are cleaned every 6 months by using a blower.

Last edited:
Unfortunately there are no 32" CRTs in the market, and no 29" either. So either buy a 10 year old TV or get a new OLED.

~G0bble

All brands have problems,some more then others.

Sony uses LG,samsung,AUO panels,so if the panel is bad then it should effect Sony lcd/led tvs.But their image processing PCB and power supply and backlight are made by them and they still use Japanese capacitors.

Is your tv wall mounted?How often do you clean the internals of the tv?.

My few Sony lcds are 8 ,6.4 and 3 years old.But none of them are wall mounted ,they all have a good power stabilization from day one and the internals like PCB are cleaned every 6 months by using a blower.

Yes its wall mounted, right from day one, and yes never cleaned as such as well. ( i mean not the internals) Could that be the major cause if this issue. But power supply is via my Online UPS, so that is rock solid. Will not wall mount my next TV if that is so much of a concern, and will also clean for that matter. We never cleaned CRTs and they used to work for 10-15 years. So that habit went along with LCD as well I guess.

Last edited:
Unfortunately there are no 32" CRTs in the market, and no 29" either. So either buy a 10 year old TV or get a new OLED.

~G0bble

What about Plasma ??? No ones commenting on Plasma ??? Are they also prone to problems.

If that is the case I will probably go with a cheapest 32 inch LED. Probably SONY. Lets see let me google and come up with few options. Will share as well for recommendations.

My Panasonic plasma bought in 2009 Nov/Dec is going strong. But, the living room Samsung plasma bought in mid 2010 gave up in July last year. So, it depends on luck. A previous ED Samsung plasma gave 5+ years of service till it was sold in 2010.

What about using a cheaper LED projector instead? I'm planning the same. An Epson 2030 like yours and something cheap for regular use.

Well couple of reasons I think projector might not work, any decent PJ which can give enough bright image to be used as TV, i.e in proper room light will be pretty costly. Add to that the cost of pull down screen .......

Then the room wall I will have in my bedroom is with cabinets on both ends, so I will not have more than like 50-55" max for the screen size, which would be quite low for even an entry level PJ. But I am still open to suggestions.

I think I might go for a 32" LED. I am googling as we discuses and I am coming across some models from SONY as well that are like under 35. I am already shifting to pj with proper HT for my movies and TV series needs. I think I can live with 32" TV just for STB.

I have a different opinion. Have one of those scarlet LG LCD TVs that is a workhorse and going on for the past 6 yrs without a problem. I suspect that voltage fluctuations and spikes are the main problem and a robust UPS and stabiliser goes a long way in protecting your TV.

yea .... mines scarlet as well. scarlet 2.0 as they were advertised....

Sam, All models from every manufacturer fails, the question is which one dies first. I'm using Sony for last 3 years without any problem. Don't go for too many fancy features and so called Smart TV. The more technologically "advanced", they are the more prone to failure due to intricate integrated circuits.
Get a basic TV with good PQ preferably with X-reality engine if you are going for Sony. Otherwise you can also go for Toshiba which has some great sets with 3 years Warranty. Remember, don't cover your TV as soon as you turn it off, let it cool off for 1 hr then cover it with a towel.
If you are using a local cable connection, then use a Surge Protection in the cable.

Yes Rupam, features are my least concerned, 3 years warranty will be a help. Is Bravia and X-reality engine same ....

Sam, i am also hunting good TV, specially in Plasma, As i read and gone through the experts reviews. Now i have never used plasma so i am still not totally and confidently say that plasma is durable, and perfect. But if you read every comparison all says that plasma is good in compare to LCD/LED. in terms of PQ.

Now also LCD are not bad, i am currently using full HD Samsung 32inch. I had purchased on 2009. Still running perfectly, not a single glitch. I mean to say is we cant say which tv will perform long last. As we all know it a bulk production. I am looking for new TV, so i am still comparing and looking at options, but i am considering Plasma over led. because 1st is budget, and also we get good quality. Now yes if you want bright and ultra vivid colors, then you should look only led/lcd.

FYI the very very basic Sony models are not designed by Sony but rather by OEM(Foxconn) like the Sony R400/R422 series.Bravia engine and X-reality are different.

As far as plasmas ,do note that they emit much more heat,they have more components inside around 2 to 3 more PCBs and most are actively cooled with Fans.(Old lcd tvs from 2004 to 2005 had fans those days and today some flag ship toshiba models with local dimming still have fans.)

Plasma are also less immune to transportation because of their glass screen.You can see various report from consumers about hairline cracks appearing internally on the screen which some associate is due to tv being switched ON during cold temperature.

hahahaha .. poor samdung , lg users

and plasma will die more fastly than lcd ..IR ..burnin etc ..need dark room.. more power.. more dead pixels than lcd.. ur better off with 30 inch CRT

one uncle wants to throw his 51 inch samsung plasma in dustbin .. due to cant watch in room with windows

always buy sony dear next time if u want 10 year life lcd

Hello Invisible,

Someone is sad that his panel has gone off. Sympathize with him with rational suggestions. Maybe you work for Sony? Maybe next time you will get the spelling of Samsung right in your excitement?

If you are Sony fan, fine. But please do not thrust it on others.

Anyway coming back to our OP problem, all panels (Plasma or LCD) are prone to dead pixels, panels going off etc as I said in earlier threads "Built in obsolescence".

As has been said in many other discussions on the same topic, any panel you buy will be fraught with risk. It is better to insure yourself with a 3 year warranty if you can making sure the entire set is covered. At least you will get your money's worth.

Vinod

Hi

Today's LED, LCD TVs have a lifespan of 3-5 years..this is what online reviews suggest....pls refer to the below links....

LCD vs LED vs Plasma

LED vs LCD vs plasma TV - Which? Technology

Can LED LCD look as good as plasma? | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews

You need to assess what is your requirement in terms of connectivity, screen size and features required...accordingly go window shopping and see what is available within your budget......most important check on after sales service and warranty options....

Hope this helps

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back