My National Technics TT collection

kuruvilajacob

Hi Folks,
Even since a close family friend told me that the best products ever made by Technics has been marked National Technics and never to part with them as they are truly of superior quality. When I checked, it's true. They have made some limited models only with the National technics label and these include
Turntables like SP-10, SP-25, SL 1100, SL-150, SL-1200 ,SL-1300 and few more models. This family friend used to work for the sole distributor of Technics range in Kuwait in the 70's. I did have an SL-1100 and SL-1500 with this Label and I sold both of them . SL-1500 was sold to our FM peace_sells. I do not think the SL-1210 range has that label. I recently stumbled upon an SL-1300 Mark 2 in the most hopeless condition and was determined to restore it . It was hardly working and it's arm movement was totally dead and a friend of mine said that the arm cannot be set right as many have posted in many Forums that the arm assembly of the Mark 2 series of SL-1300,1400,1600and 1700 are the most complicated an those who knew how to repair them abroad are no more. My mechanic studied the movements for days and after many attempts has finally restored the entire player to it's original glory including the full working of the arm. Similarly, i got a SL-150 without arm. I managed to fit an original arm of Technics after scavenging a few old Technics players. So I have increased my collection of National Technics players to 4. The SL-1200,SP-25,SL-150 and SL-1300 Mark 2. Anyone with National Technics labels should think twice before disposing them . I think they are worth their weight in Gold. Now for some pictures of restored SL-1300 Mark 2 and SL-150

Last edited:
Wow! I have a National Technics! :eek: :yahoo:

Even since a close family friend told me that the best products ever made by Technics has been marked National Technics and never to part with them as they are truly of superior quality. When I checked, it's true. They have made some limited models only with the National technics label and these include

By the way, you say that these products have been marked National Technics. Do you mean that literally? Because I can't see such a marking on the SL 1500 that i got from you. Is it hidden?

Wow! I have a National Technics! :eek: :yahoo:

By the way, you say that these products have been marked National Technics. Do you mean that literally? Because I can't see such a marking on the SL 1500 that i got from you. Is it hidden?

I think there is a 'national' logo before the 'Technics' in the pictures.

'National was a brand used by Panasonic Corporation (formerly Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.) to sell home appliances, personal appliances, and industrial appliances and was the first name used by Konosuke Matsushita's electric firm to sell his battery-powered bicycle lamps, hoping that they would be a product used by all of Japan, hence the name "National".' - Quote from Wikipedia.

There have been a lot of other electronic products by name of "national panasonic' in India esp. VCPs/ VCRs and rice cookers.

I think there is a 'national' logo before the 'Technics' in the pictures.

'National was a brand used by Panasonic Corporation (formerly Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.) to sell home appliances, personal appliances, and industrial appliances and was the first name used by Konosuke Matsushita's electric firm to sell his battery-powered bicycle lamps, hoping that they would be a product used by all of Japan, hence the name "National".' - Quote from Wikipedia.

There have been a lot of other electronic products by name of "national panasonic' in India esp. VCPs/ VCRs and rice cookers.

Thanks Saket. It was staring right in front my face. I was looking everywhere else for it :p

My mechanic studied the movements for days and after many attempts has finally restored the entire player to it's original glory including the full working of the arm.

Your mechanic seems to be a full fledged expert :)

Last edited:
Your mechanic seems to be a full fledged expert
5.gif

Yes, he is. I am encouraging him to take up full time servicing of only turntables. Some FMs have already send their TTs for servicing to him. He is the person who has serviced/restored all my TTs . He can be considered one of the best in the business in India as he loves Turntables and has been doing it since his college days. He is specially good at servicing old Garrards and other changers which are highly complicated, provided they have not been badly tampered before. We together have experienced the thrill of bringing back to life many dead turntables . We are thinking of taking up plinth modification in a big way. We have already done a lot of work on plinth mods and arm pods successfully and want to continue doing more of it. I have a Lenco L-75 and a SME 3012 arm for a new project. Time and availability of my carpenter is one of the constraints. Then deciding about the multilayer for the plinth is also a concern

kuruvillajacob, Now I shall keep that in mind when scouting for a TT! Is that friend still in Kuwait?

From what I know, the "National" symbol was used in front of Technics brand in the early days of branding in order to establish linkage of Technics brand to more familiar National brand. Once the Technics brand got established they dropped using National in front of Technics as Technics was positioned as a higher quality brand.

The quality of National Technics being higher than just Technics is just an urban legend. For example SP-10 Mark 1 was branded National Technics but the more famous and regarded SP-10 Mark 2 and SP10 Mark 3 have not been associated with National brand.

As per my understanding, National was the mass market brand used by Panasonic Corp (Matsushita) and Technics was their high-end niche offering. Co-branding is often used in marketing as a ploy for generating brand awareness in certain markets. I believe the National brand was strong in Asia while Panasonic was strong in Europe and the Americas. Hence the National brand was never used in the United States (as per my understanding).

wikipedia clip: National is well known throughout Asia as a reputable manufacturer of domestic appliances, such as rice cookers and electric fans. In 2004, the "National" brand was gradually phased out in Asia, the last market it was used in, with most products being rebadged under the "Panasonic" brand due to trademark restrictions with other companies worldwide containing "National" in their name and Matsushita's desire to unify their businesses under the Panasonic name for greater recognition. Due to its historical significance and recognition in Matsushita's native Japan, non-audiovisual Matsushita products (mostly home appliances or white goods) were branded "National" until September 2008. As of October 1, 2008, Matsushita changed its company name to Panasonic Corporation. Non-audiovisual products that were branded "National" in Japan are currently marketed under the "Panasonic" brand.

A similar approach was used by Toyola with their Lexus luxury brand, however they preferred not to use the Toyota prefix for Lexus products.

+1 to reubensm.National Panasonic were consumer grade products.I have seen many low priced NP two in one tape recorders,cd players,TVs,mixers etc.I am not sure about National Technics though.

Regards,
Sachin

+1 to reubensm.National Panasonic were consumer grade products.I have seen many low priced NP two in one tape recorders,cd players,TVs,mixers etc.I am not sure about National Technics though.

Regards,
Sachin

I am not talking of National Panasonic brand. National Technics was only meant for selected products according to some one who worked with the distributor of Technics branded products in Kuwait. I once had a National Technics Tuner which was a class tuner. I do believe National Technics was only for some of their best products. I will do some more research on it and also contact my family friend for confirmation

I am not talking of National Panasonic brand. National Technics was only meant for selected products according to some one who worked with the distributor of Technics branded products in Kuwait. I once had a National Technics Tuner which was a class tuner. I do believe National Technics was only for some of their best products. I will do some more research on it and also contact my family friend for confirmation

I am having fun with you here. By your friends logic SP10 Mark 2 and Mark 3 or not branded National Technics. Should they be considered not the top quality?

Sir,I am completely agree with you.I don't know about National Tachnics TTs.I only shared about National panasoic brand.I have also mentioned at my post.

Regards,
Sachin

Last edited:
I am having fun with you here. By your friends logic SP10 Mark 2 and Mark 3 or not branded National Technics. Should they be considered not the top quality?

Anil,
Please don't get me wrong. SP-10 is without doubt the best Technics has brought out. I have only mentioned what Mr.Kovoor who is now a retired person living in Kottayam mentioned when asked why he is not parting with his Technics music system that the company had a policy at that time to mark National Technics on some models .He was holding a top position with the main distributor for several years. May be they changed their policy subsequently . I apologize if you found my posting offensive in any manner.

Anil,
Please don't get me wrong. SP-10 is without doubt the best Technics has brought out. I have only mentioned what Mr.Kovoor who is now a retired person living in Kottayam mentioned when asked why he is not parting with his Technics music system that the company had a policy at that time to mark National Technics on some models .He was holding a top position with the main distributor for several years. May be they changed their policy subsequently . I apologize if you found my posting offensive in any manner.

Come on. No apologies required. We are just having a friendly banter here. My only point is that here-say based statements may not accurately represent what the company policies are .

IMO, Technics TTs were always ahead on design, build quality and engineering. The older generation of all turntables tended to be marginally better, quality wise as ends were not compromised for cost savings. Gurus always maintain that the SP10 is in-effect, the SL1200 in deck form (this is debatable). I have come to realize over the last few days that every piece of equipment has its merits and de-merits and as they say, beauty is in the eyes of the be-holder. A lot of the legendary turntables gained legendary status as broadcast stations used them. Similarly, less rated products without any fan fare marketing or rave reviews can turn heads. A classic case is that of the NAD 3020. Just a day ago, I encountered the original first generation 3020 and can boldly say that I've never heard anything like that before, but that's another story for another day :)

Just off the topic a little bit. Yes, Nad 3020 is legendary for it's phono. But if you ever come across a silver colored Nad 3020, I am interested because they are rare and I understand made for the Italian market. Now regarding Technics. Technics is one of the few companies which did not make different quality for different markets and the plastic gear wheels of Technics is normally very strong when compared to other brands. I have also noticed that their arm mechanism is normally trouble free whereas many other companies have problems especially after transit.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back