My new home theater build using ONLY JBL's C1Pro

sidz2bt

Hi All,

I have decided to upgrade the speakers in my media/gaming room. I was using Logitech z623 speakers till now but i have some free time this month so i decided to dive in and convert this into a good HT room. I will use it for 40% music and 60% movies and gaming.

I started the auditioning process and went to quite a few places. I saw the options within my budget of 1lakh to 1.2 lakhs. I was getting good stereo options and somewhat decent 5.1 set ups with the cost however i was not happy with how the color of separate speakers stood out while demoing atmos and surround. I am looking to go for a 5.1.2 setup.

So i now considering to go with (7) JBL Control 1 Pros with a atmos amp and a sub. The idea is if i use the same full range speakers on all sides, so now the timbre will be mainly be dependent on the acoustics of my room (which i think can be controlled).

I used JBL control 1's long time back and was a fan of these and i have seen broadcast companies surround mixing in them and they are coming to me at 7k per piece making them affordable for me. Now i am looking to get an atmos supported amp (50k budget) and a sub to pair them with (20k budget). What do you guys think of this plan? I have attached the room, speaker placement, and acoustics plan for your reference and inputs. Primarily going for a 5.1.2 atmos setup. Thoughts?

Attachments

• basic acoustics layout.jpg
    basic acoustics layout.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 159
  • basic room layout.jpg
    basic room layout.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 159
  • basic speaker layout.jpg
    basic speaker layout.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 158
I will use it for 40% music and 60% movies and gaming.

I am looking to go for a 5.1.2 setup.

So i now considering to go with (7) JBL Control 1 Pros with a atmos amp and a sub. The idea is if i use the same full range speakers on all sides, so now the timbre will be mainly be dependent on the acoustics of my room (which i think can be controlled).

Great planning :clapping:..Hope you complete as per plan.

I will skip the room acoustic part, as i have no experience with them..

- 7 identical speakers would be wonderful for very good HT expereince.. But i see that you have mentioned ceiling speakers.. Are you considering to mount JBL one on ceiling (or) considering a pair of ceiling speakers ?

Now i am looking to get an atmos supported amp (50k budget) and a sub to pair them with (20k budget). What do you guys think of this plan? I have attached the room, speaker placement, and acoustics plan for your reference and inputs. Primarily going for a 5.1.2 atmos setup. Thoughts?

- Since you are only planning for one pair of height speakers, think it should be above your listening position than in the middle of the room per your image..(Am not very sure on that)
- Consider going dual identical subs.. In the front corner's..
- Hope your surrounds would be slightly in front of your listening position..

- 7 identical speakers would be wonderful for very good HT expereince.. But i see that you have mentioned ceiling speakers.. Are you considering to mount JBL one on ceiling (or) considering a pair of ceiling speakers ?

- Since you are only planning for one pair of height speakers, think it should be above your listening position than in the middle of the room per your image..(Am not very sure on that)

Thank you so much elangoas for your prompt reply. I really appreciate that. Sorry about the shabby diagram. Did it in a cab on paint while commuting to work (lol) . I have just indicated the speaker placements. Nothing is finalized. As you stated i will stick to the dolby recommended practices to finalize the placements.

These monitors have a good wall mount system that can be attached to the roof. I will be extra careful they wont fall on anyones head. :lol:

I dont think i can afford two subs right now. I have 50k for an atmos amp and 20k for the sub. Looking at Denon 1300 or yamaha vx583 is what i am inclined at right now however i am hoping i will get some recommendations here..

Last edited:
Sorry about the shabby diagram. Did it in a cab on paint while commuting to work (lol)

Cool :eek:hyeah:

I have just indicated the speaker placements. Nothing is finalized. As you stated i will stick to the dolby recommended practices to finalize the placements.

Here is an image from Dolby site for reference

Tk8rEgBBNTCsNjJDBm2GMNh8gPO4VnabSG2EUI8lPpEvDFiA4AeZ4oMswweZTH1NRpECeGh55VEKavwh-I4hw5NqahF3nrk4tzRpd0Z6OenJxdCuYEbBmBUDo0EYGnAP9658HQexXXO5Vr27PqlD9Vh6SIAK72gMgm5SSInul9Q-up4-ciRqbCt9_dOguZ1g23YvrG9QQmcPZJu2hR3F5efz5iSlCfKN7D0coWX76bsBSyRKvLSs2q1eRV2OXB4bBhd8hZVSgZdqFAs4hme_wlb5-2y__oG9nimO6NkJOW_Ss7zjc5qGbqmyl960rrnKD6GbaungmdxKVZG0Y2wch6BHjkaN5rHyhmFJ3yiqEo5E_c6LUxgRPE-if7a6Xy5Ctei6OpwRZdO_hsCQsfRFcxc6RkiNHctqOS09w4KU50ngKLkiNgppuXlMF3s7iI_Ubt1AcXCbWjTl6PShyprnhGlbSBU8cDtU_yxUvU4woArTLKh7iBtmMTLuij0shmeU_1aPIfJQ6XEYppcKfMidawzC77NnrDOd6vcEDVK0DK_LZq7mfODLhBqX4E4lezdIJ7fDnJekIIl6mo-KEEkfxys_vBHhnQPYOlOuTiszBZE539gP5SLZmMxF=w1502-h906-no

These monitors have a good wall mount system that can be attached to the roof. I will be extra careful they wont fall on anyones head. :lol:

Get that.. But when it comes to over heads, co-axial speakers seem to provide better response than the regular speakers.. This aspect was explained by FM earlier..

I dont think i can afford two subs right now.

It was only a suggestion for better HT expereince.. Skip it if you can't accomodate now..

I have 50k for an atmos amp and 20k for the sub. Looking at Denon 1300 or yamaha vx583 is what i am inclined at right now however i am hoping i will get some recommendations here..

Denon X 1300 / Yamaha RX V 581 / Pioneer VSX 1131 / Onkyo should be in your budget.. Marantz might not fit in your budget..

For the sub, you should find few models in Polk/Taga in your budget..

BTW which PJ & screen?

Last edited:
Cool :eek:hyeah:

Here is an image from Dolby site for reference

Tk8rEgBBNTCsNjJDBm2GMNh8gPO4VnabSG2EUI8lPpEvDFiA4AeZ4oMswweZTH1NRpECeGh55VEKavwh-I4hw5NqahF3nrk4tzRpd0Z6OenJxdCuYEbBmBUDo0EYGnAP9658HQexXXO5Vr27PqlD9Vh6SIAK72gMgm5SSInul9Q-up4-ciRqbCt9_dOguZ1g23YvrG9QQmcPZJu2hR3F5efz5iSlCfKN7D0coWX76bsBSyRKvLSs2q1eRV2OXB4bBhd8hZVSgZdqFAs4hme_wlb5-2y__oG9nimO6NkJOW_Ss7zjc5qGbqmyl960rrnKD6GbaungmdxKVZG0Y2wch6BHjkaN5rHyhmFJ3yiqEo5E_c6LUxgRPE-if7a6Xy5Ctei6OpwRZdO_hsCQsfRFcxc6RkiNHctqOS09w4KU50ngKLkiNgppuXlMF3s7iI_Ubt1AcXCbWjTl6PShyprnhGlbSBU8cDtU_yxUvU4woArTLKh7iBtmMTLuij0shmeU_1aPIfJQ6XEYppcKfMidawzC77NnrDOd6vcEDVK0DK_LZq7mfODLhBqX4E4lezdIJ7fDnJekIIl6mo-KEEkfxys_vBHhnQPYOlOuTiszBZE539gP5SLZmMxF=w1502-h906-no

Get that.. But when it comes to over heads, co-axial speakers seem to provide better response than the regular speakers.. This aspect was explained by FM earlier..

It was only a suggestion for better HT expereince.. Skip it if you can't accomodate now..

Denon X 1300 / Yamaha RX V 581 / Pioneer VSX 1131 / Onkyo should be in your budget.. Marantz might not fit in your budget..

For the sub, you should find few models in Polk/Taga in your budget..

BTW which PJ & screen?

Yes, this is what i would be going on. :)

Oh i see. I will check those posts out. The only reason i wanted to stick to the same model is to ensure i have timbre matching speakers on all channels. I will research further.

I see that Denon 1300 is a 5.2.2 amp. So if i pick that, i will be able to add another sub later.

Hearing good things about Taga SW 10 v2. Getting a demo piece (2 hours used) for 27k (I think the price is surged for these after GST. Any thought on the Sonodyne Burr? I used to be a fan of their professional monitors...

I have a two year old Benq W1070 with a Liberty screen. :eek:hyeah:

Yes, this is what i would be going on. :)

Great..

Oh i see. I will check those posts out. The only reason i wanted to stick to the same model is to ensure i have timbre matching speakers on all channels. I will research further.

Mounting a speaker vertically from the ceiling towards a listening position can be tedious, if the speaker doesn't support mounting threads at the back.. But if the speaker you are looking for has, should be possible with ceiling mounts.. Look for MX ceiling mounts.. Lot cheaper..

I see that Denon 1300 is a 5.2.2 amp. So if i pick that, i will be able to add another sub later.

Yes.. You can add dual sub..

Hearing good things about Taga SW 10 v2. Getting a demo piece (2 hours used) for 27k (I think the price is surged for these after GST.

I have the dual sub from Taga SW 10 v2, content with it... 27K for a used sub seems fine.. Probably you can negotiate a bit more on the price.. BTW how do you know it is used only for 2 hrs?

There is also another thread running in the forum abt the sub BIC America F12 inch for abt 30K.. You can check for inputs here.. http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/67511-suggestions-bic-america-f12.html

Any thought on the Sonodyne Burr? I used to be a fan of their professional monitors...

Sonodyne Roarr series is also good..One of my friend has Roarr 210 & my brother has studio monitor series SLF210..

I have a two year old Benq W1070 with a Liberty screen. :eek:hyeah:

:thumbsup:

Hi sidz2bt...

You are in the right track. Nothing beats having all speakers of the model for seemless integration.

As elangoas rightly pointed out, the Atmos speakers should be directly above your listening position since you are going for 2 speakers.

In normal 5.1 configuration, the side surrounds are placed between 1 to 2 above ear level on the sides to give a impression of a rear wall of sound, rahter than the speakers firing directly into the ear drums.

After the advent of front and rear height channels in Dolby, they suggested bringing the surround speakers to ear level. Now they want us to have one horizontal envelope of surround sound and height speakers will add the vertical effects. The same still stands with Atmos configuration. So experiment with all 5 speakers at ear level. And place the 2 Atmos speakers directly above your surround speakers angled down to your main seating position.

The biggest challenge in that room of yours is that rear left door. That is blocking your left surround soeaker. Mount your rear left speaker behind that door and play with the door closed. You can fit a mechanical stopper to prevent that door from opening fully and damaging your left surround soeaker.

The second biggest problem that I envisage is with sub woofer placement. Since your room is quite close to a square, there will be lot of room interference. I tried a similar setup in my small bedroom of 14x11 ft and found that the bass sounds best when the sub is placed below my seating position. I have a flat sub so it fit there. Your room might be different, so try various positions for your sub before you finalise the wiring. All the best and wishing you audio nirvana in advance :)

Blu-ray player also can create a feeling of home theater.Blu-ray Player – F2Fsoft – for people to deal with Blu-ray Disc, iOS Recovery, Android Recovery and more.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back