My old Bose Soundlink II - a loyal, relaxing mate

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15865

I know this is an audiophile forum and usually Bose is hated here. But I’d still write about this able and friendly speaker of mine - the Bose Soundlink II (Nylon). It’s worth this piece!

First of all, the Bose was an impulse buy. I had before that, like many other middle class yuppies, walked into a Bose store for demos (especially of the Bose Wave which I found interesting) and walked out like 90% of them, without buying anything.

But then back in 2014 or so (can’t remember exactly when but was a long time ago), when I walked into a Maple store to buy an iPhone, after I bought the phone I noticed this speaker while waiting for the billing. When I and my wife listened to this small understated beauty playing through Bluetooth from our phones, we both liked it instinctively and paid the Rs 22k or something for it on impulse. Something that I rarely do. Can’t remember before or after that me having bought anything without enough research.

Hooked it up the next day and was hooked on to it! While it impressed right out of the box, it also grew on us more and more as days and months passed by. It justified a constant place on my home desk, and combined with the MacBook/iPhone over the years it has been my window into the world of music. I’ve literally explored a number of genres and artists through them as I progressed in my musical initiation-appreciation journey. Especially with the launch of Apple Music a few years ago (I must have been among the first few subscribers), it was so much easier and better to find old and new music that suited my taste (or widened it) while the Bose SLII unobtrusively played everything without a fuss and to good effect. And it kept doing so for years.

98CC16BA-F433-4577-A7F3-B71DF2490B7A.jpeg

About it’s sound. I have to be conscious that the reader of this piece is used to listening to much more sophisticated hi-end component based music systems. But I shall still dare say that the Bose SL II is both musical and sweet. And I am referring to this particular model only - when I heard the next generation and the min-ilink models later, I didn’t like their sound much). These speakers, even when playing 320 Kbps through Bluetooth, convey the emotionality of the sound - somewhat like the old valve radios may be? But there’s also a certain control. Sound never gets boomy/bloated. Even at higher volumes it has never sounded distorted. And hence it has performed as well in my larger living room and open balcony as in my smaller study/bedroom. The fact that is chargeable and portable makes it convenient - but that’s true about this category of wireless speakers as a whole. The sound is kind of soothing, while conveying the song and music remarkably well. Later on, in the last 2-3 years. I’ve put together two entry level audiophile systems (desktop and home stereo as in my signature) which expectedly outstrip the Bose SLII in terms of detail, focus, transparency, imaging/soundstage and myriad other audiophile parameters. But in terms of pure musicality, symphony/integrity and oneness with the music, they still don’t better the Bose.

Yes of course I have to tone down the expectations on those audiophile parameters to listen to the Bose. But it gets easily done by the middle of the first song as the pluses take over. Add to that the non-fussy behaviour (as against the temperamental behaviour of my tubes and connectors in the home system), means I don’t even give a conscious thought to the equipment. Just one click and I am into the music. There’s something about that - it makes the experience mostly about the music, not about the sound or the equipment.

How the Bose produces such a nice sound out of its small body I don’t understand. There’s some neodymium speaker or such technical stuff some of you might understand better, but I can vouch for the end result. Anyone else has/has heard this speaker? What’s been your experience?

I do realise that technology has advanced, especially the wireless. While Wireless meant Bluetooth in the days of Bose SLII, now it is Wi-fi. These are the days of hi-res streaming. My CXN does that well - but it is meant to be tethered to the home stereo. Should I even be looking for an upgrade to this portable wireless speaker of mine? And if so, which are those definitely sweet and musical sounding new gen wireless portable speakers around that can stream even hi-res? Can I gain without losing on the experience I have explained above? The Naim Mu-So etc cannot be considered portable. Need something that’s the size/form factor of the Soundlink, not too bigger or smaller.

If there’s nothing of that kind available, I am glad to stick to the Bose SLII as its performance hasn’t deteriorated a bit. And if there are some interesting options, I don’t mind looking at them. This post was more to post my experience with the SLII than to explore an upgrade, but it’s good to know what else is out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
No sir we don't hate any company or product. Each one has its place in the Audio world.
Sometimes FMs (some serious guys) get into a twist when they hear Bose and performance in the same breath.
I for one truly respect Bose for bringing entertainment home in truly small attractive packages.

Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks for sharing your honest opinion :)
When I started on my search for audio equipment in 2011, I was reading all about Bose and was all set to buy a 2.1, when I stumbled across this forum :)
Then away went Bose and later on with a few lakhs down the drain, experimenting and growing frustration, now reached a sort of middle ground which is good enough. In retrospect, there are times I feel I should have stuck with the Bose and had some peace of mind :D

I had this for sometime. What I liked is the resale value. Bought for 7.5k and sold for same.;) I bought it used and sold it for the same price after 1
year. Sound wise, passively it's nice, my friends appreciated its bass more than me. Despite the lack of detail, its voices had authority but bass was not fast to my liking. Later I had experiences with vifa Helsinki and audiopro t5 which would be more appreciable by a critical listener. Bose is reliable and since being a popular product battery is also replaceable.

No sir we don't hate any company or product. Each one has its place in the Audio world.
Sometimes FMs (some serious guys) get into a twist when they hear Bose and performance in the same breath.
I for one truly respect Bose for bringing entertainment home in truly small attractive packages.

Cheers,
Raghu

Ok, I’d reword that to ‘underrate’. :)Performance can have multiple dimensions. For example, longer life without deterioration (reliability).

In a world of multiple attachments it’s possible to like different brands/products for different reasons.

Thanks for sharing your honest opinion :)
When I started on my search for audio equipment in 2011, I was reading all about Bose and was all set to buy a 2.1, when I stumbled across this forum :)
Then away went Bose and later on with a few lakhs down the drain, experimenting and growing frustration, now reached a sort of middle ground which is good enough. In retrospect, there are times I feel I should have stuck with the Bose and had some peace of mind :D

Yes ‘peace of mind’ like Apple products. They aren’t too flexible, but then you aren’t distracted with possibilities either. And they do what they do, well.

I had this for sometime. What I liked is the resale value. Bought for 7.5k and sold for same.;) I bought it used and sold it for the same price after 1
year. Sound wise, passively it's nice, my friends appreciated its bass more than me. Despite the lack of detail, its voices had authority but bass was not fast to my liking. Later I had experiences with vifa Helsinki and audiopro t5 which would be more appreciable by a critical listener. Bose is reliable and since being a popular product battery is also replaceable.

Hmm, I see your point on the bass. Seems like a trade off for a warmer signature at its price. And yes, Apple, Toyota/Maruti, Bose all have sizeable resale market for a good reason. Thanks for the alternative suggestions. The Helsinki is speechlessly gorgeous!

I know this is an audiophile forum and usually Bose is hated here. But I’d still write about this able and friendly speaker of mine - the Bose Soundlink II (Nylon). It’s worth this piece!

First of all, the Bose was an impulse buy. I had before that, like many other middle class yuppies, walked into a Bose store for demos (especially of the Bose Wave which I found interesting) and walked out like 90% of them, without buying anything.

But then back in 2014 or so (can’t remember exactly when but was a long time ago), when I walked into a Maple store to buy an iPhone, after I bought the phone I noticed this speaker while waiting for the billing. When I and my wife listened to this small understated beauty playing through Bluetooth from our phones, we both liked it instinctively and paid the Rs 22k or something for it on impulse. Something that I rarely do. Can’t remember before or after that me having bought anything without enough research.

Hooked it up the next day and was hooked on to it! While it impressed right out of the box, it also grew on us more and more as days and months passed by. It justified a constant place on my home desk, and combined with the MacBook/iPhone over the years it has been my window into the world of music. I’ve literally explored a number of genres and artists through them as I progressed in my musical initiation-appreciation journey. Especially with the launch of Apple Music a few years ago (I must have been among the first few subscribers), it was so much easier and better to find old and new music that suited my taste (or widened it) while the Bose SLII unobtrusively played everything without a fuss and to good effect. And it kept doing so for years.

View attachment 37603

About it’s sound. I have to be conscious that the reader of this piece is used to listening to much more sophisticated hi-end component based music systems. But I shall still dare say that the Bose SL II is both musical and sweet. And I am referring to this particular model only - when I heard the next generation and the min-ilink models later, I didn’t like their sound much). These speakers, even when playing 320 Kbps through Bluetooth, convey the emotionality of the sound - somewhat like the old valve radios may be? But there’s also a certain control. Sound never gets boomy/bloated. Even at higher volumes it has never sounded distorted. And hence it has performed as well in my larger living room and open balcony as in my smaller study/bedroom. The fact that is chargeable and portable makes it convenient - but that’s true about this category of wireless speakers as a whole. The sound is kind of soothing, while conveying the song and music remarkably well. Later on, in the last 2-3 years. I’ve put together two entry level audiophile systems (desktop and home stereo as in my signature) which expectedly outstrip the Bose SLII in terms of detail, focus, transparency, imaging/soundstage and myriad other audiophile parameters. But in terms of pure musicality, symphony/integrity and oneness with the music, they still don’t better the Bose.

Yes of course I have to tone down the expectations on those audiophile parameters to listen to the Bose. But it gets easily done by the middle of the first song as the pluses take over. Add to that the non-fussy behaviour (as against the temperamental behaviour of my tubes and connectors in the home system), means I don’t even give a conscious thought to the equipment. Just one click and I am into the music. There’s something about that - it makes the experience mostly about the music, not about the sound or the equipment.

How the Bose produces such a nice sound out of its small body I don’t understand. There’s some neodymium speaker or such technical stuff some of you might understand better, but I can vouch for the end result. Anyone else has/has heard this speaker? What’s been your experience?

I do realise that technology has advanced, especially the wireless. While Wireless meant Bluetooth in the days of Bose SLII, now it is Wi-fi. These are the days of hi-res streaming. My CXN does that well - but it is meant to be tethered to the home stereo. Should I even be looking for an upgrade to this portable wireless speaker of mine? And if so, which are those definitely sweet and musical sounding new gen wireless portable speakers around that can stream even hi-res? Can I gain without losing on the experience I have explained above? The Naim Mu-So etc cannot be considered portable. Need something that’s the size/form factor of the Soundlink, not too bigger or smaller.

If there’s nothing of that kind available, I am glad to stick to the Bose SLII as its performance hasn’t deteriorated a bit. And if there are some interesting options, I don’t mind looking at them. This post was more to post my experience with the SLII than to explore an upgrade, but it’s good to know what else is out there.

Almost each brand has their share of fans & naysayers. One thing good about Bose is that they give you decent sound in a small package without much tweaking. One has to also give them credit for isolating the bass unit from the main speakers. Offcourse value for money will always be debatable.

One has to also give them credit for isolating the bass unit from the main speakers.

Not with the wireless speakers. But somehow they ensured harmonious coexistence of the frequencies in the Soundlink.

Guys, am sorry if my introduction is causing this to become a ‘Bose - like or hate thread’, it’s not. It’s specifically about the Soundlink II. When it came to both the headphone and home stereo systems, Bose products were not even in my short list.

But in terms of pure musicality, symphony/integrity and oneness with the music, they still don’t better the Bose.
How did you find playing 70-80s harsh sounding recordings? Since you mentioned valve radios, was curious to know if this too sounded similar

How did you find playing 70-80s harsh sounding recordings? Since you mentioned valve radios, was curious to know if this too sounded similar

Sandeep do you mean the Disco songs? I like those songs and they play decently well perhaps because the SLII doesn’t get shrill. The mid-bass region is its strength and makes Bappi da sound like a loving uncle! :) An end to end rendition of songs come across as a coherent piece - undistracted by the sound effects flying in various directions. That’s what I meant by valve radio like. I had a Murphy back in those days and the SLII reminds me of it - organic enough, though less loud and more taut. I could listen to both for hours together. I tried a few modern (transistor based) radio sets but nothing came even close to the Murphy. The Murphy took long time to heat up though and started sounding well only after half an hour or so. But it was the entertainment king of the household and we had to obey its commands! ;)

I had bose soundlink mini and it was excellent.

I think the Mini was clearer and brought out details better, but the SLII was more room-filling and magical in the way it integrated the frequencies. Something to do with placement of its drivers I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sandeep do you mean the Disco songs? I like those songs and they play decently well perhaps because the SLII doesn’t get shrill. The mid-bass region is its strength and makes Bappi da sound like a loving uncle! :) An end to end rendition of songs come across as a coherent piece - undistracted by the sound effects flying in various directions. That’s what I meant by valve radio like. I have a Murphy back in those days and the SLII reminds me of it - organic enough, though less loud and more taut. I tried a few modern (transistor based) radio sets but nothing came even close to the Murphy.
Oh! So nice. Your post has now reopened that “can of regret” :)
I was also referring to the bad digital CDs from saregama during that period. Like Aandhi, Avishkar, Guide etc, each a gem in itself, but ruined by bad transfer.
Earlier when I had the Vinyl running, a good friend of mine came over. He too likes music from that period. After seeing all the trouble in maintaining and running my rig, he ended up getting the bose soundtouch and has been happily enjoying his music, while I’m still toying with my cables and ICs :(

Oh! So nice. Your post has now reopened that “can of regret” :)
I was also referring to the bad digital CDs from saregama during that period. Like Aandhi, Avishkar, Guide etc, each a gem in itself, but ruined by bad transfer.
Earlier when I had the Vinyl running, a good friend of mine came over. He too likes music from that period. After seeing all the trouble in maintaining and running my rig, he ended up getting the bose soundtouch and has been happily enjoying his music, while I’m still toying with my cables and ICs :(

I understand what you mean - Babul Mora from Aavishkar is a good example of horrible recording. Can’t imagine the pain of listening to it on a resolving system. Even for the Soundlink it’s just about bearable... any worse and would be unlistenable. I tried on my home stereo and that was indeed the case. Sounded almost like two ghosts instead of Jagjit and Chitra singing. ‘Hansne ki chaah ne’ from the same film is slightly better recorded and is playable on my home stereo, but flows better on the Soundlink.

I am too learning the value of simple systems in a hard way now. For one, I am clearer about my primary lookout - should sound musical, organic and coherent. If that comes at the cost of detail, soundstage, HF/LF extensions, and what not, I am game for it.

That's one of their best products I feel. Sounds really nice. I have a pair of Bose Companions mated to a Creative Sub. The combination amazing and sees 1-2 hours of action every morning while getting ready for work. It is fed by an Amazon Echo Dot. It's the perfect no-nonsense unit driven by voice. The speakers have nice Vocals and Highs, seemed to lack a bit on bass which the creative sub adds perfectly.

MaSh

To be honest I am not sure how many folks actually hate bose ..or is it they feel they have to hate Bose to be an Audiophile :rolleyes: Kind of like a coming of Age

I use a Bose AM3 and Bose VCS 10 for my HT fronts and for my needs and have been pretty happy for over 15 years now. Recently got a Bose soundlink at office and my kids use it ..pretty good sound for its size.

To be honest I am not sure how many folks actually hate bose ..or is it they feel they have to hate Bose to be an Audiophile :rolleyes: Kind of like a coming of Age
Hi arj, there was this thread here which ended in a sort of fist fight, I don't see many of the members in that thread posting nowadays (must have been banned or retired) :)

Ha Ha ! lots of threads on Cables, Bose and power end up that way. I guess most people have come to peace with the fact that everyone is different ;)

Ha Ha ! lots of threads on Cables, Bose and power end up that way. I guess most people have come to peace with the fact that everyone is different ;)
Sadly enough, during my initial search for the "premium audio" experience, this was the thread that got me hooked to this forum. I gathered from the discussion that Bose was meant to be avoided like the plague :)
Nowadays if anyone asks me for an opinion on Bose, instead of boring them to death with talks on THD, synthetic sound, V-shaped curve etc I ask them to go and listen to it and buy it if they're liking it :)

The combination amazing and sees 1-2 hours of action every morning while getting ready for work. It is fed by an Amazon Echo Dot.
MaSh

Interestingly I too tend to use the Bose Soundlink mostly in the mornings (sometimes before retiring to bed). Probably because its so easy to turn on, like we used to a radio. I let some iTunes suggested albums/playlists play on it while I go about the morning stuff. There’s a niche use Bose can communicate in its advertising! I never combined it with my Echo which is in the living room, let me try!

Recently got a Bose soundlink at office and my kids use it ..

Child labour alert! ;)

Lol, we all want to ‘fit in’. It’s a human motivation. But things come back in a circle eventually and we start evaluating stuff on how we see it, than how we want to be seen seeing it.

A sign of the forum maturing? Or ageing?

Nowadays if anyone asks me for an opinion on Bose, instead of boring them to death with talks on THD, synthetic sound, V-shaped curve etc I ask them to go and listen to it and buy it if they're liking it :)

Guess at some point the non-technophiles amongst us start seeking simplicity and peace of mind.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back