My Onkyo TX-SR608 wont turn on :(

sandy2911

Hey Guys,

After much deliberation, research and risk i order my onkyo receiver TX-SR608 from amazon which my friend brought back for me from the US.

I purchased a 1000w, 110v step down converter and tried to power it on.

However nothing happens. The stand-by light doesn't come, there was no pop or any such sound (fortunately). I tried this twice.

I used the same converter to power on my klipsch 10" sub and it powers up perfectly. I did alot of reading up on this site (including venkat's great write-up on power) and everything seems points to the fact that it should work with a step-down converter. The wattage seems right since the amp is 120v, 6.3A which is well within 1000w.

Could it be that the converter says 220v-110v while the amp us 120v???

Need some expert advise..

Did your friend check in US? very sorry but sometimes faulty AVR can be delivered.
Still check power chord connection(loose)

Hi Sandy,

I hope you gave a gap of at least the minimum time required for AMP protection circuitry to reset.

Secondly, please measure the output of the converter for any possible deviation from rated output.

I hope your converter has a universal power socket capable of receiving a US type power plug.

Importantly, don't try anything you aren't sure of. There are a lot of members using equipment from the US and should be able able to offer sound tips.

good luck,
Pannags

Sandy ,

Just make sure the converter you purchased is compatible with right power supply to the receiver...

Make sure the power cables are properly seated in plugs..

Use the remote press the receiver button and then press poweron.

Most of all as spiro said confirm with your friend first if he has powered it on before sending it to you...

Write back on developments.

Kittu

Maybe you can ask a member named pannags. He bought the same Avr from Singapore and is using it here.

You missed to notice 2nd reply was from pannags... :rolleyes: and I have the same AVR too.. Dubai made both singapore and dubai are EU models dont require any converter.

Have you read the manual? It may be just a bad fuse. See if you can ask a technician at onkyo service center to have a look at your avr.

hey guys,

appreciate the responses.

i spoke to the onkyo service center here in mumbai and they asked me to use a 1 KVA step-down transformer. Any idea where I could get that? ebay.in throws a blank.

Also my friend didn't attempt to power it on in the US and im pretty sure that there is no lose connection - tried the same power source and converter with the klipsch sub and it worked just fine.

hope its just about using the aforementioned transformer and that the piece isnt faulty.

Last edited:
hey guys,

appreciate the responses.

i spoke to the onkyo service center here in mumbai and they asked me to use a 1 KVA step-up transformer. Any idea where I could get that? ebay.in throws a blank.

Also my friend didn't attempt to power it on in the US and im pretty sure that there is no lose connection - tried the same power source and converter with the klipsch sub and it worked just fine.

hope its just about using the aforementioned transformer and that the piece isnt faulty.

Hey dont connect a stepup trans, it will fry if its supposed to work only in 110v. Instead make sure the AVR supports only 110v or any switch behind to select the voltage. If it is 110v, check the o/p of the converter.

If both are confirmed and the issue is still there take it to the onkyo service center and ask them to check the power supply section whether the supply is coming upto the tran or not, if it is coming upto that, then its better give it to them for servicing. Else you are safe, ask them to check the power switch or try bypassing it.

Hey dont connect a stepup trans, it will fry if its supposed to work only in 110v. Instead make sure the AVR supports only 110v or any switch behind to select the voltage. If it is 110v, check the o/p of the converter.

If both are confirmed and the issue is still there take it to the onkyo service center and ask them to check the power supply section whether the supply is coming upto the tran or not, if it is coming upto that, then its better give it to them for servicing. Else you are safe, ask them to check the power switch or try bypassing it.

hey im sorry for the typo - i meant a step-down transformer.

I have an Onkyo 708 frm the US and using a 1kva step down transformer as suggested by the Onkyo support guys in Mumbai. Works fine. Bought it frm Nisarg electronics at Lamington rd.

it would be great if you can help me with their contact details..

thanks much!

i spoke to them however since i am based in the suburbs i will need to source another vendor who is more accessible. nisarg is unable to send it across to my office or residence.

can u provide more details of the exact specifications and brand of the transformer? I will try to get the exact same transformer from somewhere in the suburbs.

thanks again dude!

I purchased a 1000w, 110v step down converter and tried to power it on.

i spoke to the onkyo service center here in mumbai and they asked me to use a 1 KVA step-down transformer. Any idea where I could get that? ebay.in throws a blank.

Don't rush into buying anything now.

First, the Onkyo guys are talking you for a ride. If I have my maths right 1000 watts is the same as 1kVA.

Secondly, you say that the sub is working. So it is safe to conclude that the step down is supplying power. One of the easiest ways to conform this is to to get a multi meter, set it at 110v, switch the step down on, and test what voltage it provides at the output terminals. If it outputs 100v, there is nothing wrong with the step down.

At startup and when idle, an amp does not need much power. So if the step down is working the amp should power on. One possibility why it does not power on is the possibility that the factory/dealer may have set the start up volume very high. The amp, in this case, could try to draw enough power, and not coming on when it does not get the power. Unfortunately this cannot be confirmed unless the amp powers on.

First isolate the issue. Ensure the step down is supplying power at it's output points. We will then take the next step.

Cheers

If I have my maths right 1000 watts is the same as 1kVA.

One correction

Watts and VA (also KVA) can only be equated the same in case of DC and in case of AC with pure resistive loads (Ex. Incandescent Lamp, but not Fluorescent lamps or Fans)

Here we are dealing with AC and a reactive load (input power stage of AVR) and hence VA (or KVA) and Watts should NOT be equated the same. We should bring in the Power Factor (PF) of the load into consideration.

VA = Watts/PF

In case of purely resistive loads, PF will be unity.

However I don't think VA or Watts difference is causing OP's problem. It is something else.

Last edited:
What you are talking about is a load or consumption factor. This is taken into account when you calculate the capacity of the transformer vis-a-vis the amplifier and other units requirements. For example, if the total wattage of an amp is 1000 watts, we generally recommend that the transformer used is at least 1.5x, if not more. Your PF comes into play here, and is valid for calculating the load.

But, nothing changes the fact that 1VA = 1 watt. So if the OP is using a 1000 watts step down, he is using a 1 kVA step down. Whether that is sufficient or not for the amp is a different matter.

Cheers

Last edited:
However I don't think VA or Watts difference is causing OP's problem. It is something else.

That is why I recommend the OP isolate the issue. If the step down is indeed supplying power, the fault could only be with the amp. It could be a blown fuse, or some loose connection. Maybe the power cables is faulty. All the issues have to be removed one by one to get to the actual issue.

Cheers

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back