My Own Harbeth’s + JBL's.... 3 Way Passive Speakers

sadik

I am already busy with the 3-Way separate enclosures project (link) but still managed to built a set of speakers for my own listening. The idea was to give a vintage look just like the JBL’s and Harbeth’s. So I came u with an idea to combine the looks of both the Legends.

Basically this Enclosure is a 3-way passive design. Crossovers are as usual made by Mr. @Aniket .

The Enclosure is tuned for 35Hz. It has two vents of diameter 3 Inch on the front. The mid has its own sealed chamber. The front baffle where drivers are fitted is removable. The enclosure also has a separate chamber for crossover.

I am using 18 mm MDF sheet + 4 mm Veneer sheet., They were glued together on a 100 TON hydraulic press machine. It was left overnight in pressed condition for bonding. After gluing the Sheet & Veneer, cutting was done. The Joints are cut in 45 Degree to match the grains of veneers. Enough of write up enjoy the built journey.

I am not using any nails or screws for the joints. Instead i have used my Plate Joiner to Join all the joints. All Joints are glued with Fevicol SH and clamped together as seen in below photo.
IMG_20200213_183423.jpg
IMG_20200213_164606.jpg
In below photo you can see a black colored separate chamber on the back that is for Crossover.
IMG_20200216_110945.jpg

Below is the Frame on which Front baffle will be screwed. (Front baffle is removable)
IMG_20200216_111319.jpg
IMG_20200216_110958.jpg
Front baffle with separate chamber for MID.
IMG_20200219_101209.jpg
IMG_20200219_101221.jpg
So many screws.... I also have to take care of my hands... so another investment for this project.
IMG_20200222_183438.jpg

Assembly Photos (The accuracy of matching the grains / lines) Its a very difficult task to work with 4 mm veneer with such accuracy.
IMG_20200317_212007.jpg
IMG_20200317_211552.jpg
IMG_20200317_211600.jpg
IMG_20200317_211610.jpg
IMG_20200317_211646.jpg

The Rear chamber of crossover. It will be covered with transparent Acrylic Sheet. which will have speaker connectors on it. Sorry I forgot to mention earlier. This enclosures will have an option for bi-amping. 1 Pair of Connectors for Bass & 1 Pair for Mids & Highs.
IMG_20200317_215349.jpg

The Finishing tuning part is still pending. And it will take a little long time to complete this project. The Updates on this Project may get delayed as I have to first complete my earlier Project. I made this project in a hurry because i didn't had any speakers for my listening.

Sadik

Its 12 + 6 + 1.

Thank You Bro... for me Tools are everything. Without Proper tools and basic skills one cannot achieve a premium finish.
its not just the variety, its the quality. Makita is really good. I purchased my tools 9-10 years when there were limited brands. so I have black & decker mostly/ those are "lite tools" i need to take take 3 breaks to cool down the equipment while countersinking 1 12" driver.

would be wonderful if you could share which online vendor you use,

@sadik

can you tell us a bit more about the cabinet design

how are the drivers selected
which drivers are these
how that they spaced out in the front baffle ?
what is the dimension of the speaker ?
how much weight ?

kitna deti hai ?

how do these sound ?

whats the crossover freq set at and at what slope - can you get from aniket this info ? for us

any crossover tweaks done - post firing up the speakers ?

would have loved to listen to these but will have to wait till the skies clearup.. :)

regards

@sadik How was the crossover designed? Is it a well published design for these set of drivers or completely customized for your setup?

its not just the variety, its the quality. Makita is really good. I purchased my tools 9-10 years when there were limited brands. so I have black & decker mostly/ those are "lite tools" i need to take take 3 breaks to cool down the equipment while countersinking 1 12" driver.

would be wonderful if you could share which online vendor you use,

Here in Baroda there is local Dealer for Makita. I get every thing from him. I Prefer Bosch & Makita Brands only.

@sadik

can you tell us a bit more about the cabinet design

how are the drivers selected
which drivers are these
how that they spaced out in the front baffle ?
what is the dimension of the speaker ?
how much weight ?

kitna deti hai ?

how do these sound ?

whats the crossover freq set at and at what slope - can you get from aniket this info ? for us

any crossover tweaks done - post firing up the speakers ?

would have loved to listen to these but will have to wait till the skies clearup.. :)

regards

Yes Bro Below are details.

Cabinet Design : Its a simple Bass reflex cabinet having total volume of 95 Lts for Bass Driver. Mids has its own sealed enclosure having about 7 ltrs volume. The Enclosure is made from 18 mm MDF + 4mm ply backed veneer. The veneer was glued with MDF sheet prior to cutting.
Drivers : They are suggested by our FM @Aniket.
Makes : The Drivers Bass & Mid is from Beyma ( fm @Aniket can supply them) Highs are from SB Acoustics.
Spacing: No calculations are done for spacing. I have tried to keep the Mid & Highs as close as possible.
Dimensions : 432mm width x 465 mm Depth & 750 mm Height.
Weight : Yet to be checked.
Kitna deti hai : As per calculated design it must give 35hz to 20 khz. Aniket will be visiting my place with his measuring instruments, Actual response i will share later.
How do they sound: Initial impressions are far better than my expectations. I still have to make tweaks in the enclosure related to damping.
Crossover frequency : 440 Hz & 2.2kHz
Crossover tweaks : Yes I had to remove 1 resistor which was in series with higs to match the dB level. (this tweak was done with listening) no measurements were involved.

Whenever you are in Baroda call me Bro...

@sadik How was the crossover designed? Is it a well published design for these set of drivers or completely customized for your setup?

Crossover was designed with the Published TS parameters of Drivers. It is custom designed by FM @Aniket. The PCB's were also made to Order for this Project.

Very nice build. Little description of design philosophy or inspiration on which it is based from Aniket will be very helpfull for other speaker builders.
Thanks for sharing.

Very nice build. Little description of design philosophy or inspiration on which it is based from Aniket will be very helpfull for other speaker builders.
Thanks for sharing.

Thank you @Hiten
The inspiration for looks, I got from Harbeth & Kenrick Sound, The Layout of speakers is similar to Harbeth 40.2 Monitors even the height & width is same apart from depth. The Color scheme will be borrowed from kenrick sound. It will have the Blue color on front baffle rest 5 sides veneer. For the clear coat i have not yet decided to go for a glossy or matt finish. The idea for having transparent crossover on back side of speaker was suggested by one of my present customer, He showed me photo of some hi-end speaker which looked really kool. He said that he needs the crossover to be visible from the back side, So i adapted the same idea in my built too.

So Based on my above inputs aniket came up with the design. He suggested me these drivers & designed the enclosure accordingly. He gave me details like volume and vent dimensions. After that the 3D model and everything was done by me. Another factor was i want these dedicated only for listening music, hence the enclosures are tuned for 35Hz.

From the looks perspective, you should try either Heresy stand (angled raiser) or Kenrick stand( stand of out of solid blocks).

@mpw This Project is not yet complete, It will take a time because first i need to finish the 3 way project with separate enclosures. You are most welcome anytime at my place. @arunkvivek thanks for pointing me towards the Heresy stands.

I am already busy with the 3-Way separate enclosures project (link) but still managed to built a set of speakers for my own listening. The idea was to give a vintage look just like the JBL’s and Harbeth’s. So I came u with an idea to combine the looks of both the Legends.

Basically this Enclosure is a 3-way passive design. Crossovers are as usual made by Mr. @Aniket .

The Enclosure is tuned for 35Hz. It has two vents of diameter 3 Inch on the front. The mid has its own sealed chamber. The front baffle where drivers are fitted is removable. The enclosure also has a separate chamber for crossover.

I am using 18 mm MDF sheet + 4 mm Veneer sheet., They were glued together on a 100 TON hydraulic press machine. It was left overnight in pressed condition for bonding. After gluing the Sheet & Veneer, cutting was done. The Joints are cut in 45 Degree to match the grains of veneers. Enough of write up enjoy the built journey.

I am not using any nails or screws for the joints. Instead i have used my Plate Joiner to Join all the joints. All Joints are glued with Fevicol SH and clamped together as seen in below photo.
View attachment 44657
View attachment 44658
In below photo you can see a black colored separate chamber on the back that is for Crossover.
View attachment 44659

Below is the Frame on which Front baffle will be screwed. (Front baffle is removable)
View attachment 44660
View attachment 44663
Front baffle with separate chamber for MID.
View attachment 44661
View attachment 44662
So many screws.... I also have to take care of my hands... so another investment for this project.
View attachment 44664

Assembly Photos (The accuracy of matching the grains / lines) Its a very difficult task to work with 4 mm veneer with such accuracy.
View attachment 44665
View attachment 44666
View attachment 44667
View attachment 44668
View attachment 44669

The Rear chamber of crossover. It will be covered with transparent Acrylic Sheet. which will have speaker connectors on it. Sorry I forgot to mention earlier. This enclosures will have an option for bi-amping. 1 Pair of Connectors for Bass & 1 Pair for Mids & Highs.
View attachment 44670

The Finishing tuning part is still pending. And it will take a little long time to complete this project. The Updates on this Project may get delayed as I have to first complete my earlier Project. I made this project in a hurry because i didn't had any speakers for my listening.

Sadik
Great build and workmenship. Did you do them yourself or done through a carpenter

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back