My recent experience with 78 rpm records

kuruvilajacob

Dear friends,
I recently got a good collection of unused Malayalam 78 rpm records. Earlier, whenever I used to get 78 rpm records, I used to sell them at the earliest as I never experienced the quality reproduction before. What got me interested in trying out a 78 rpm was because I read on the net that Garrard 301 and Dual 1019 are two of the best to play 78 rpm because of their high torque. I fixed a Shure 78 S mono cartridge on the Dual and played through Sony ST 2000 F pre amp, Quad 2 mono blocks driven by vintage full range Philip speakers. I was stunned by the quality of reproduction. It was a totally different experience . I am planning to experiment with some suggestions i read from some avid 78 rpm die-hard listeners to get the best out of these . Any experience with 78 rpm by forum members will be appreciated.

Cheers

Iam a die hard fan of 78 rpm records and vivid collector. with mono blocks 78 rpm it would be excellent. I have a collection of almost 1500 78 rpm records though not all in mint but would love to add to my kitty what ever is available. Sir in case you happen to get 78 rpm records i would like to part take in the purchase of the same if you like so.
Regards
Srinivasan.M

For most pre-1950 releases, what you're hearing is a direct-to-disk recording, the most vivid sounding possible in this medium.

Condition matters, more so than on LPs, but the rewards are fantastic. I once heard some old Hindi film music on an antique gramaphone in Bangalore, and just could not believe the immediacy of the experience.

Check out this book for collectors of old jazz and blues 78s:

Buy Do Not Sell At Any Price: The Wild, Obsessive Hunt for the World's Rarest 78rpm Records Book Online at Low Prices in India | Do Not Sell At Any Price: The Wild, Obsessive Hunt for the World's Rarest 78rpm Records Reviews & Ratings - Amazo

In my case, due to some contact problem in the mono cartridge or head shell, I could get only the left channel. I first thought of using one full range speaker and place it dead center. Since my pre amplifier has many options of speaker connections like L plus R etc, I was able to divide the sound from one channel on to both speakers. That really changed the sound signature to pure mono since the cartridge , the signal to the speaker is only to one channel and the same is split into two. While it was through an accident that I figured this, it has been a revelation that has left me stunned. I have a Hafler 101 pre-amplifier with dedicated mono switch. I will try try on that also and see if there is further scope for improvement . I had recently seen a 78rpm of "Come Spetember" which I did not pick up but I regret it now.

If anyone can suggest the better recorded 78 rpm records of any language, I would appreciate. I found that some Malayalam records are superior in sound quality than others. i am assuming that there will be good quality recording for 78 rpm similar to 33.3 rpm records

Actually Jacob Sir 78 rpm in mint will produce excellent reproduction then their later releases in Columbia or HMV label on Vinyl. Angel label would match well. Odeon has a different equalization to my own knowledge. The Bass effect would so wonderful in mint condition 78 rpm recordings.
Regards
Srinivasan

If anyone can suggest the better recorded 78 rpm records of any language, I would appreciate. I found that some Malayalam records are superior in sound quality than others. i am assuming that there will be good quality recording for 78 rpm similar to 33.3 rpm records

Ive actually got a mint collection of 78s, english Jazz and some other classics in absolute mint condition with covers and a box meant only to store 78s, however not played even a single one till date. I think ill install another arm on the 401 just for 78s lets see.

a7ccbf3d65b5a6ec74613e4e3fa0ea11.jpg

3ee13f4241f2d44ba3581671e4150465.jpg

I just happened to inherit two entire chests of 78 and 45 rpm records from my grandfather. The other chest has 12" vinyls.

Sat and counted the 78s..... close to about 400 title's,most in mint condition and a few I need to clean.

Title's range from Hindi to some Beatles to jazz and classic pop. Few title's I can't recognise and have no idea.

I guess I will have to get a 78 rpm record player now!!!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

I just happened to inherit two entire chests of 78 and 45 rpm records from my grandfather. The other chest has 12" vinyls.

Sat and counted the 78s..... close to about 400 title's,most in mint condition and a few I need to clean.

Title's range from Hindi to some Beatles to jazz and classic pop. Few title's I can't recognise and have no idea.
Amazing haul!! You are one lucky guy :clapping:

You bet!!

Derek the menace:D

Shafic sir let me know if you want any of them.... will give u :)

This is specifically regarding Beatles 78rpm. I have them in all favours. 45s, 33 rpm of UK/India/Japan pressing, New remastered releases pressed in EU, etc.

But the most musical of the lot are the 78rpm Parlophone label India pressing. They appear to be from late 60's as all of them are dated 68 ~ 72. I inherited them from one of my Mamu who was a medical student in 60's. And all in excellent condition.

Unfortunately I no longer have a good cart for 78rpm. If I get one I will make one of my Garrard a dedicated 78rpm table. Till then all the 78rpm disks are carefully shrink wrapped and stored.

Wow, that's quite an inheritance :clapping:

Shafic sir has helped me without any personal gain for himself a lot.... and I mean a lot :)

Wow... I have not played a 78RPM record since 1960-something. Still had a few back then, but nothing to play them on.

If you have not handled them before, please understand how fragile they are! It is, sadly likely that you may learn this the hard way.

The first thing is that you need to sleeve and store them properly. Seeing them stacked them like that is really scary!

But, as I say, it has been nearly fifty years for me, so Mr Jacob and friends will tell you how to take care of them.

Enjoy the music :)

Oh yes thank u so much! Quite a few of them have been broken but the majority of them are intact!

Will be hunting for a 78 player soon:)

Beatles 78s ( from India, Venezuela and Philippines, the only countries that manufactured them back in the 60s ) are worth between $500 to $1000 on the international collector market, depending on condition. Even those that are badly scratched, or unplayable, have value. Hold on to them tight..

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back