My RPi + Allo Boss DAC + TPA3116D2 Amp

SanjeevM

(I am reposting the setup into this DIY section because it rightfully belongs here)

Hi Friends, DIYers,

I have recently assembled this music player. It is built with the following components:

-- Raspberry Pi 3
-- 7 inch Touchscreen
-- Allo Boss DAC
-- TPA3116D2 based Chip-Amp
-- SMPS 24V 5Amps & 5.2V 3A adapter

It is quite easy to make this set, because I didnt have to do any soldering ;)
And the sound is very good.

The only problem was in making a case for it. I made the case using an MDF board which I got laser cut and jointed. Here are some pictures below::

Looks awesome :clapping:

The front panel looks bigger than the rest of the cabinet or is the photo giving this impression to me. Also is it in slanting position the front panel? You did similar to this RaspTouch Black Chassis and Accessories Kit DIY - Audiophonics, nice work.

Yeah, I went for a slanting panel so that I can read it when I am standing. It added to the complexity of construction. The front panel is a bit wider, just a design element !

How does the combo sound?

I have yet to do a proper shootout between the Arcam & this combo. The first impressions are that it is more detailed. Bass is pretty good

But there is a bit of a metallic tinge, on Abida''s singing.

Overall, this was very easy to make, and I got a very good player with little effort ! I have to evaluate now, whether building a Class-A will make THAT much of difference.

Can you post the web link for TPA amp board, 7" touch screen and both Power supply units purchase ?

Raspberry Pi & Allo Boss DAC:
https://diyaudiocart.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=allo boss dac
Power adapter is supplied with the DAC.

Touchscreen:
https://www.fabtolab.com/odroid-vu7?search=touchscreen

Best of Luck on your project. Feel free to ask if you need any more information.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have yet to do a proper shootout between the Arcam & this combo. The first impressions are that it is more detailed. Bass is pretty good

But there is a bit of a metallic tinge, on Abida''s singing.

Overall, this was very easy to make, and I got a very good player with little effort ! I have to evaluate now, whether building a Class-A will make THAT much of difference.
The metallic tinge is coming out of the dac not the amp. And class a though is clanky and huge sounds far better than any class d or class ab product

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

The metallic tinge is coming out of the dac not the amp. And class a though is clanky and huge sounds far better than any class d or class ab product

It must be so.

I will like to do a one2one comparison to actually hear the difference. The Class A that I have heard wasnt much better than this class D.

How does the combo sound?

Dear JLS,

I am currently using a 24V 5A SMPS supply, because it is sufficiently overpowered in comparison to the 30*2 + 10% ~= 70W continuous the the Class-D uses. Will it help if I

(1) Put a 10,000 uF capacitor in the 24V SMPS end to improve transients ?
(2) Or, use a Linear 24V 5A supply instead, with 10,000 uF capacitor ?

Which one will be better?

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:
Will it help if I

(1) Put a 10,000 uF capacitor in the 24V SMPS end to improve transients ?
(2) Or, use a Linear 24V 5A supply instead, with 10,000 uF capacitor ?

Which one will be better?

On the mega 3116 thread over at diyaudio, people who have used linear PSUs swear by them.

So I guess that answers your "which will be better?" query.

Reinforcing the DC rail with a large cap is supposedly beneficial. I use it on line level gear, but honestly I have not bothered to do A/B comparo with and without. If you have spare caps, it's easy enough to try. On my 3118 build, using different rail caps caused noise so I removed them.

(I am reposting the setup into this DIY section because it rightfully belongs here)

Hi Friends, DIYers,

I have recently assembled this music player. It is built with the following components:

-- Raspberry Pi 3
-- 7 inch Touchscreen
-- Allo Boss DAC
-- TPA3116D2 based Chip-Amp
-- SMPS 24V 5Amps & 5.2V 3A adapter

It is quite easy to make this set, because I didnt have to do any soldering ;)
And the sound is very good.

The only problem was in making a case for it. I made the case using an MDF board which I got laser cut and jointed. Here are some pictures below::

Cool Project ..:clapping: Few questions ....What would you need the touch screen for?? What are you running on rpi3 as your front end player? Also can you pass on the purchase link for your AMP and SMPS. Thanks for the project share. :)

It must be so.

I will like to do a one2one comparison to actually hear the difference. The Class A that I have heard wasnt much better than this class D.
What was the amp that you heard? Probably not properly made or designed.

Great work Sanjeev!

I am also using a Raspberry Pi 3 with Allo Boss DAC for casual listening in the dining area with Adam A5X active speakers. I was impressed with what this cheap DAC could do. It produces very smooth and warm sound. I also compared it with DragonFly and Chord Mojo.

I chose to use an iPad (or any mobile phone on the table) to control Volumio, instead of a separate touch screen display near the system. Anyway that is just a personal usage preference, with no impact on the sound. It is exciting to see how technology is evolving now. The end users like you and me have so much control over how we create and upgrade stuff based on our individual choices. I am glad that local companies like Allo are producing great world class products.

Regards,
Sharad Medhavi

Put the 3116D2 in a humungous case with monster heat sinks on each side of the case. The heat sinks need not be connected to anything. Also need just ONE power switch [preferably ringed with a blue LED] in the fascia. This will sound just as good as a "well designed" Class A amp. Really!!! :)

Last edited:
On the mega 3116 thread over at diyaudio, people who have used linear PSUs swear by them.

So I guess that answers your "which will be better?" query.

Reinforcing the DC rail with a large cap is supposedly beneficial. I use it on line level gear, but honestly I have not bothered to do A/B comparo with and without. If you have spare caps, it's easy enough to try. On my 3118 build, using different rail caps caused noise so I removed them.
What if he uses this in between his SMPS and amp? :D

BTDT!

Build some (dirt cheap) class D. You'll revise your opinion.
I have actually. Bought two from ebay to make a 2.1 speaker. I am not saying that class d dont have advantages but certainly not in the sonic region.

Think of it this way - done right, it's probably 99% of the sound at 99% [not really, but close] cost savings.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back