My search for stereo set up ends : Getting a DIY tube amp :)

john_k_antony

Dear All,

I have been in lookout for a dedicated stereo setup amp + speakers. I have looked at most of the branded amps (marantz, roksan, nad, denon) and speakers (jamo, klipsh, MA, MS, Quad) and didn't quite like any combination.

Now my boss in US has offered to build a tube integrated amp for me :yahoo:. The amp will come to me by March 2013.

The amp is 7w/ch, choke input power supply, SET, Class A. I am planning to pair very high efficient Zu Soul Superfly (Zu Audio | A Revolution in American HiFi) / Zu Omen Def (Zu Audio | A Revolution in American HiFi) with this amp.

Following is the short specs for the amp.

Power Transformer Specs
------------------------
110, 220V - 50Hz, 60Hz
530 - 0 - 530, 300mA
6.3V, 2.5A X 2
6.3V, 2A, X2
16V, 500mA

Circuit Description
-----------------
Circuit is classic Western Electric topology of a pentode driving a triode.
The output tube is 6CB5A connected in Triode Mode
The driver tube is German Pentode C3m
The rectifier tube is 6AU4 - damper diodes

Parts Description
----------------
Output transformers are Magnequest MQ FSO 30
Choke input power supply with Hashimoto 15H Choke
Duelund coupling capacitors
Goldpoint attenuator and selector
Renesas low noise Zener diodes for screen regulation
Cerafine power supply capacitors

The cost of the amp is around $2200. The good thing is that $2200 is for the parts for the amp. There is no other extra cost incurred to me :).

Here is the cost break up

Chassis - 100
PS Transformer - 250
MQ FSO-30 - 600
Hashimoto Input Choke - 300
Hammond Choke - 50
Duelund Coupling Caps - 150
Misc parts - 300
Tubes - 75
Zeners + CCS - 100
Vol + Selector - 275
Total - 2200

-John.

anm,

I have Kef iQ7 now. I am going to use them as fronts for my HT setup paired with Denon 2310.

I was looking at Lyrita + Amity Speakers and Acoustic Portrait + Amity. But since I am getting the DIY amp with top of the line components, I chose to go for that.

However I had to double my budget to get the DIY amp and Zu soul superfly speakers.

-John.

John, for $2200, you will get very good solid state as well as Tube based amps from reputed companies.

Cheers

John, for $2200, you will get very good solid state as well as Tube based amps from reputed companies.

Cheers

Yeah I know. But this amp is custom made for me and he uses very high quality components. As I said the price is only for the parts used.

Hello John,

Please say hello to Sridhar for me. We've corresponded, and I met him at his home in the Bay area two years ago. I sort of could tell by the selection of his components for the amp, and his love of Zu speakers, that the design was his.

Viren

Dunno much about the DIY amp, but the Superfly speaker specs (whats provided on Zu's webpage) is stupendous!

And serious money involvement for the combo ... best wishes for the rip-roaring system.

Yeah, this will be a unique system for sure. A high end diy tube amp and a pair of great speakers designed especially for tube amps, promising combo. And if John chooses to open his doors for a listen, bangalore is not too far away!

Hello John,

Please say hello to Sridhar for me. We've corresponded, and I met him at his home in the Bay area two years ago. I sort of could tell by the selection of his components for the amp, and his love of Zu speakers, that the design was his.

Viren

Hey Viren,

I already told Shridhar about our conversation :). He told me that you guys were in touch till last year.

-John.

Yeah, this will be a unique system for sure. A high end diy tube amp and a pair of great speakers designed especially for tube amps, promising combo. And if John chooses to open his doors for a listen, bangalore is not too far away!

Dear All,

You guys have to wait till March next year :(. I am getting the amp only by March 2013 as my boss is busy with building other 2 amps. Once its setup all are welcome :D

-John.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back