My TPA3251D2 based Class-D Amp

SanjeevM

Dear FMs,

Enthused by the performance of the TPA3116D2 Class-D chip, I ventured into the TPA3251 territory, and replaced the 3116 board in my player with the 3251D2 based board from 3eAudio.

The 3251 is a high performance amplifier chip which gives 140W stereo into 4ohm at 1% distortion. S/N ratio is 111dB, Distortion at 1W is 0.005%. I have connected it to my 6 ohm bookshelves, so I guess I am getting around 100W stereo.

I have bought a 24V 10A toroidal transformer, an Audio Grade 4700uF 63V X 8nos Dual Rail Power Supply board from Eight Audio and set the whole thing up. My RPi and Allo Boss DAC are the same, connected to them is the 7 inch LCD screen as before. The TPA3251 board now gets 36.6 volts DC. The recommended range is 24 to 38 VDC.

As the transformer is pretty big in size, I had to build a new cabinet. That took time.

I am currently running the RPi + DAC from a 10000 mAh mobile battery bank, just to give the RPi a very clean linear supply. The battery bank voltage sags a bit, at no load it gives 5.1V, but on load it falls to 4.6 volts and a low-voltage sign shows up on the display. The RPi still plays, though the screen becomes a tad unresponsive.

I have also built an adjustable regulated 5V 5A PS using LM338, but somehow the 338 is heating up considerably, going into thermal shutdown even at 1.5A current drawn by the RPi+DAC+LCD combo, so I am not using it right now. Perhaps the voltage drop is quite a lot from 9V to 5V at 1.5A.

The sound quality of this board is much better than what I got out of the 3116. Highs and lows are both clearer and resolved. The amp sings with an 'open throat'. Since the distortion and noise figures for this chip are markedly lower, the instruments sound more authentic and the background is black. You can hear even the faint sounds which got drowned out by noise in 3116.

I am very appreciative of the sound quality of this 3251 board. Perhaps it will outshine quite a few boxes and heaters :) I will strongly recommend it to all FMs.

Last edited:
I have also built an adjustable regulated 5V 5A PS using LM338, but somehow the 338 is heating up considerably, going into thermal shutdown even at 1.5A current drawn by the RPi+DAC+LCD combo, so I am not using it right now. Perhaps the voltage drop is quite a lot from 9V to 5V at 1.5A.
You could try a boost board like this one
3V-35V 100W Adjustable DC-DC Step-up Boost Power Voltage Converter Module | eBay
Available for less from international sellers

I am very appreciative of the sound quality of this 3251 board. Perhaps it will outshine quite a few boxes and heaters :) I will strongly recommend it to all FMs.
Just curious why you went for this chip than others like TDA 7498e

Also, cost of the transformer and source if you don't mind

I havent done a blind test with my ArcamDAC+Yamaha RXV375 HT, but initial observation is that 3251 has better sound.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

I didnt consider 7498 because the 3251 specs were better. So I skipped one level.

Cost of my 300VA trafo was INR 2750, and 2400 for the diode n 4700uf x8 caps. I am using RPi + Allo Boss DAC as source.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

@Sanjeev: have you also dabbled in 3255? I'm eyeing that with some lust:)

I have yet to.

JLS you must hurry and buy the TI Evaluation board, a pair if you want mono blocks, before they run out. They are said to be the best ones for 3255.

I have yet to.

JLS you must hurry and buy the TI Evaluation board, a pair if you want mono blocks, before they run out. They are said to be the best ones for 3255.

I have already ordered one TI 3255 board under 50% discount offer :licklips: and Mean Well 48V 350W SMPS to feed the board. Go for it while stock lasts.

I have already ordered one TI 3255 board under 50% discount offer :licklips: and Mean Well 48V 350W SMPS to feed the board. Go for it while stock lasts.

50% discount from whom ? Any link ?
Prices include shipping and duties ?
Mousers price is over Rs 18 K !

Guys at the price bracket close to 20k I do not think it becomes VFM even though its a Class D board. Add to that the cost of either the SMPS or a linear PSU + trafo then we are looking at over 25k total build cost.

Guys at the price bracket close to 20k I do not think it becomes VFM even though its a Class D board. Add to that the cost of either the SMPS or a linear PSU + trafo then we are looking at over 25k total build cost.

You have a point. This board makes sense if someone buys and brings it from abroad. Then, the cost of $149+$6 is about 10k. Not too expensive. Linear PSU is desirable for this board, but not essential as this 3255 board has 65db PSRR.

The chip barely heats up, even at good power output.

Last edited:
What is the pricing of the 3eaudio 3255 board? Is it the most reputed among what is available right now? Also, is it a stereo board or PBTL?

May be I'll wait till PBTLs make their appearance in the market. I'm keen on sampling a higher powered amp. As it is I have to complete my PeeCeeBee v4:)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back