My tryst with analog begins... bought home a Pro-Ject Debu-III

john_k_antony

Dear All,

Today I went and listened to Pro-Ject Debut - III. This was the first turn table I heard and it sounded too good to my ears. I didnt audition anything else. I bought it :). I thought about auditioning Thorens. But after hearing the base model Pro-ject, I said, I must start with this one and don't need to look and compare any other TTs for now. It sounded very nice and sweet. I would say much better than the CD equivalent. Since I had the LP and CD for the same recording - The Confluence. The LP sounded just too good compared to CD, even on this basic TT.

I didn't get the phono preamp as of now. As I have connected the TT to my Denon 2310 phono input. I might go for the Pro-Ject phono preamp. But I am loving the sound even from the mediocre Denon AVR phono preamp :).

Analog sounds just tooooo good. I couldn't believe the difference would be so prominent. May be my CDs might sound good once I get a good CDP. But for now, analog just ROCKS. Even with an entry level player.

-John.

Congratulations John,
I don't want to start analog vs digital but Vinyls sound different(better to my ears).
Which cart you have on Project?An outboard phonostage should definitely improve the sound.

Congrats. Nice to know that you like the sound, which is the most important thing.

Congrats John. A very fine player and a best seller in it's class. You will be happy for some time to come :)

Regards and welcome to the club!

DHT - Direct to Heart Tube

Congratulations John,
I don't want to start analog vs digital but Vinyls sound different(better to my ears).
Which cart you have on Project?An outboard phonostage should definitely improve the sound.

Its OM 5e. I am not planning to change the stock cart for sometime. Its really sounding good :). Till the next upgrade bug bites me :D

How much damage it made to the wallet bro.??? From where did u purchase it???

I got it from Audio Dynamics (www.audiodynamicsindia.com), Bangalore. I dealt with Mr Abhishek. Very nice gentleman to deal with.

BTW, I ended up buying the Pro-Ject MM phono box pre amo and an entry level Atlas element IC.

Pro-ject Debut III - 23.0K
MM Phono Box - 7.5K
Atlas IC - 3.5K (1 mtr)
Record Cleaning Brush - 1.5K

Total damage - 35.6K :D

BTW, I heard that you will get good used old Malayalam LPs somewhere. Do you know the place? I am from Kottayam too :).

Last edited:
More on the buying process...

Initially I was looking for an automatic TT. I thought operating a manual one will be difficult. But it turned out that operating a manual is piece of cake :). I was considering Thorens, Rega and Denon as well. But quite some reviews online mentioend about the reliability issues with Throrens. So skipped that. I gave Rega a miss since it is more towards brighter side. I was looking for a more neutral/warm sounding machine. I dropped Denon again because most of the reviews were not in favor of it. And everyone said the stock cart is junk.

I also looked for some used vintage TTs. Couldn't get hold of anything interesting.

-John.

Wow.. its nice to hear that u're enjoying the setup...
Where in Kottayam??? R u settled in Blore??? I saw an ad in olx from kochi for used LPs for Rs 200/LP.. Havent contacted him... U can do a search in olx, hope the ad is still there...

Wow.. its nice to hear that u're enjoying the setup...
Where in Kottayam??? R u settled in Blore??? I saw an ad in olx from kochi for used LPs for Rs 200/LP.. Havent contacted him... U can do a search in olx, hope the ad is still there...

I am settled now in Bangalore. My parents are still in Kottayam. My house in Kottayam is at Ammancheri (near Medical College). I go to Kottayam only once in a while as my parents visit me often.

Congrats! :clapping:

Welcome to the Project club...it's a good debut alright :eek:hyeah:

I see Lyrita in your signature. Where did you pick it? Could you get an audition anywhere in Bangalore.

I was looking for a Acoustic Portrait Pre (tube) and Power combo for my stereo setup. The dealer who sold me Pro-Ject recommended me to look at Jolida tube integrated amp. The only issue with Jolida is a that its only 45W/channel. I need to get a very high sensitivity speakers to go with it. Something in the level of Zu Audion.

Congrats, John! So it was love at "first listen", huh? Do put up some pics too.

Dear All,

I just connected the Pro-Ject MM Phono Box pre amp and was playing for sometime. I feel that adding the preamp made the highs and mids enhanced but the lows seems to have lost.

I am connecting the phono box pre out to Denon 2310 to Kef iQ7. Denon is set to pure direct mode so that there is no DSP involved.

Do you think I am lacking bass because of Denon + Kef combo? Or is there anything else that I can do to get more bass?

-John.

Congrats John for your new TT,

regarding the Bass, basically it is because it is new cartridge and phonobox.

give it some time it should settel down and gradually improve the sq

if it still does not then little bit of tweek of tonearm level adjustment would do

However let it run for 1-2 months first before you tweek,

experts please correct me if iam wrong.... getting highs out of a tt is so easy, however getting low's is quite a challanging task

it took me lot of time at first..

cheers

Tanoj

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back