NAD 20 Series 3020 models

reubensm

A note from Mr. Kuruvilla got me thinking. He referred to the silver coloured NAD 3020. Can someone list the multiple versions of the 3020 in chronological order? Is there some way to tell the version of the 3020 from the serial number?

To start off the discussion, I have come across 2 different types of the very first 3020 versions. One with the power transformer mounted on the base plate of the chassis and the other with the power transformer mounted on the rear panel of the chassis. Which one is the older 3020? The silver 3020 (silver face plate) was essentially the same grey 3020 version with the power transformer mounted on the rear panel of the chassis.

Of the above, which is the oldest version? I would believe due to the neatness of layout and wiring, the second version with the transfomer screwed to the back panel, is the newer version (which includes the silver front panel version). This was followed immediately by the 3020A, I guess.

3020 which transformer screwed to the amplifier base:
dsc00618.jpg

3020 with the transformer screwed to the back panel:
platka.jpg

Then there was also the 3020A, 3020B, 3020e, 3020i

Last edited:
Hey Reuben - Have a look at this link, its got .PDF files of the 3020 versions.

NAD 3020 Upgrades & Repairs | CelestialSounds

Just realized the PDFs are from the NAD site :(

Once difference noticed from the NAD 3020i that I own to the 3020 is:

Courtesy AVRforums: The 3020i (also designated as 3020-I) has more regulated power supplies, and a power supply switch reducing the voltage for 4 ohm loudspeakers, to avoid the amplifier becoming too hot when used as such in the '8 ohm mode'. I also see a more sophisticated pre-output with muting control.

Otherwise the specs are much the same. The phono stages are for MM only, both the same, as are the main amplifiers (above average designs). Audio wise both should sound the same (except for the extra 4-ohm facility on the 3020i).

Last edited:
I am joining your mad... oops!! sorry!! NAD club today. Awaiting arrival of 3020 today. :yahoo:Will post pics.

WOW...indeed a MAD club :D and congratulations

I am sure you will love that distinct sound that this NAD produces. Don't forget to leave listening impressions here :)

BTW Shafic, I think its time you put up your sound signature as you have got some serious legends now...

Last edited:
There was also the NAD 7020 - basically a 3020 merged with an AM/FM tuner that was made in the late 1980s.
There were two variants - NAD 7020 with an analogue tuner 7020 Stereo Receiver - NAD Electronics
- NAD 7020e with a digital tuner.
NAD 7020e Stereo Receiver
I was once offered a NAD 7020 with analogue tuner in pristine condition at a flea market for about Rs 2,500. I didn't pick it up as I already had a NAD 3020 but that now remains a major regret.

I am joining your mad... oops!! sorry!! NAD club today. Awaiting arrival of 3020 today. :yahoo:Will post pics.

brilliant, its an exclusive but very happy and content club. Also the NAD 3020 is a vaccination against upgraditis. Its very difficult to find something that can sound better than it :)

The 3020 came with a matching tuner and cassette deck back in the day, the tuner was the 4020. A receiver model with the amp and tuner combined was the 7020. There was also the 1020 which was the preamp section of the 3020, not to forget the 3120 which was the very same 3020 without tone controls.

Regarding missing the 7020, that was a terrible miss. The 4020 and 7020 are much sort after, especially with fans of vintage tuners with dials.

There was also the NAD 7020 - basically a 3020 merged with an AM/FM tuner that was made in the late 1980s.
There were two variants - NAD 7020 with an analogue tuner 7020 Stereo Receiver - NAD Electronics
- NAD 7020e with a digital tuner.
NAD 7020e Stereo Receiver
I was once offered a NAD 7020 with analogue tuner in pristine condition at a flea market for about Rs 2,500. I didn't pick it up as I already had a NAD 3020 but that now remains a major regret.

Last edited:
Some more details in chronological order:

NAD 3020 (Released 1978)
NAD 7020 (Receiver version of 3020)
NAD 3020A
NAD 3020B
NAD 3120 (a 3020B without tone controls)
NAD 3020e
NAD 3020i

perfect, there was also the 7020i with the digital tuner.

My main question relates to the original 1978-1981 version of the 3020. The first 3020s appeared in 1978 and created the legendary status. Later in say around 1980-1983, without any fanfare whatsoever, NAD made some modifications to the 3020's PCB and transformer mount, also the wiring was better organized and streamlined. The 1978 original version had the power transformer bolted to the chassis base (refer picture-1) while the 1980-83 model had the transformer bolted to the rear chassis (refer picture-2). They also launched a special edition silver panel edition of this 1980-83 version. From what I've heard (and what Mr. Kuruvilla mentioned), this model of the 3020 1980-83 version is considered to be the best of the NAD 3020 series. This version also featured RCA output transistors. This version was followed by the officially updated version called the 3020A in 1984 which featured a MM/MC switchable phono input with a capacitance loading switch, this was followed by the 3020B in around 1987 and subsequently, later e and i versions running into the early to mid 1990s. In between, there was the 7020 series as well.

I am particularly interested in the 1980-83 model as many say its the best NAD amp ever. Curious to know if anyone has any info on this.

Last edited:
Heh, I also had a chance to pick up a NAD 4020 for about Rs 500 but I gave it a pass as it wasn't in great condition - it worked but its cabinet was damaged and generally looked very beat-up.

brilliant, its an exclusive but very happy and content club. Also the NAD 3020 is a vaccination against upgraditis. Its very difficult to find something that can sound better than it :)

Well said, well said :)

This vaccine has surely worked on me and wont wear out that easily.

Cheers...

Here are some pictures of what some say, is the very best of the 3020 series, the updated version of the original 3020 amp manufactured in around 1980-83. This was the very same version also released with a limited silver faceplate edition. Note the original RCA power transistors, neat wiring, modified PCB and of course, the back panel power transformer mount.

s8ul.jpg

4jlp.jpg

lhb6.jpg

fv30.jpg

xbtn.jpg

vgwz.jpg

7l7l.jpg

be9p.jpg

NAD 3020 silver faceplate limited edition

3020-Silver.jpg

Last edited:
from the 3020A onwards, the Audio Muting button was replaced by the stereo/mono button, on the front panel (beside the loudness control)

From various forums, I haven't seen any stereo amps getting as much love and accolades as NAD 3020 has got. It has made me more curious to listen and know how it sounds ... I will be delighted if anyone in Bangalore invites me to show their 3020.

I've heard various versions of the 3020 (not the actual 3020 but ones like the 3020A, etc) and my brother even owns the 3020A and I can personally confirm that this is one hell of an amp. Can take on and beat many bigger and more reputed names, anyday.

Last edited:
I just saw a sale on quickr of the same amplifier, not sure whether has it been sold.

its the very first (oldest) version of the 3020 and appears to be in great cosmetic condition, except for the ship on the left hand side top-corner of the faceplate. When buying vintage legends, one must be very particular about the cosmetics too as these are show-pieces as well.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back