NAD 546BEE, Oppo BDP 105D, etc.

Fiftyfifty

Staff member
I realize that these 2 products are not an apple to apple comparison, but here is my question:
I would like to get a CD player and use its coaxial digital out to my DAC and preamp. I do not need features like its DAC capability, USB input, SACD capability, Bluray play, etc. ...just good sound from my stereo CDs via the player's digital out. I would like my money to be spent on good CD reading capability, rather than on features that I don't need. Also, I do not want to use a CD transport.

I currently use the NAD 516BEE for this purpose, but wonder if there can be improvement in SQ by stepping up to the NAD 546BEE, which claims to have a torroidal power supply and a buffered coaxial output, among other things. On the other hand, there are players like the Oppo BDP 105D, which boast of great SQ, but they come with features that I don't really need, but will be paying for. Would the Oppo nevertheless beat the NAD on stereo sound?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Why don't you get a good transport instead of a CD player. You can look at Acoustic Portrait. And if budget permits an Esoteric transport.

Why don't you get a good transport instead of a CD player. You can look at Acoustic Portrait. And if budget permits an Esoteric transport.

I got a feeling that transports are generally priced steeper than cd players with that same transport, because it's a niche market. Moreover, there's no resale market for transports. However, if that's a better solution, I'll keep that option open

Thank you for this suggestion. Looks like a CD transport may be the best option. Esoteric at 10lacs+ is way beyond my budget. AP is a good choice but discontinued by the manufacturer. Do you have any recommendations of dealers in India for a decent transport?

Thanks again

Used AP transport keeps coming up for sale on the forum. Used Esoteric transport will also come in around 2.5 lakh. Look for them on audiogon

Sir, if I may, there is nothing wrong with your NAD CDP if used as a transport... Just get a better DAC and you should be fine.

Thank you Panditji, for your direct answer to my initial question. Having upgraded all components recently, including the DAC, I was wondering whether the NAD 516BEE would be a weak link. As you say, it perhaps does not matter very much.

Regards

Between a Rega and a NAD, either would be fine as a transport. But a Esoteric will be in a completely different league. Nothing comes close to it.

Between a Rega and a NAD, either would be fine as a transport. But a Esoteric will be in a completely different league. Nothing comes close to it.

Thank you Prem for encouraging me to head towards Esoteric. I managed to get a used Esoteric SA50 in almost mint condition and I'm so happy to use it as a transport. A bit on the bright side, so one has to make sure that other connected equipment does not exacerbate this.

One great feature is the option to switch off the internal D to A conversion and output only digital as a transport. As I expected, it sounds much better with my external Dac and preamp than on its own. So that's a +1 for the Northstar Design.

Thanks again

If both Esoteric and Northstar have AES connectivity, use an AES cable. It's the best way to output digital from an Esoteric transport.

I am surprised. I was so sure they would have AES. All their higher end models have dual AES

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back