NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC

So this is basically direct digital DAC?

hdmi input -> dac -> amp ?

What is the noticable benefit? Also I cant find any pics.

The digital input stays in the digital domain and converted to analogue just before the speakers thus avoiding multiple analogue stages where the signal degrades at each stage. No conventional DAC chips inside.
That means analogue guys have to use optional ADC module to connect their analogue cassette deck's and turn tables to the NAD C390DD digital amps.

One interpretation that we can have is that while normal DACs create analog output of about 1V peak-to-peak, this one may be having a very different DAC architecture, creating (say) 20-30V output stage which can directly drive speakers...

I have heard it on several occasions. Its a very good DAC. Very neutral, detailed and transparent. It is available from Lakozy and is priced very nicely. @1.15L approx, I think.

It is priced exactly at US MRP.

In the recent AV Expo at New Delhi the Focal demo room had Accuphase CDP as a transport and was feeding the digital signal to this DAC and then to the Halcro power amp connected to the Utopia speakers.

Someone should compare this to other similarly priced DACs. I have been planning to buy this DAC for a long time especially for the features it has.

i heard the NAD 390DD...but not impressed by the tonal clarity....i heard it at lakozy...others should the review the same & bring a conclusive opinion abt it

Personally, I prefer the W4S Dac2.... it is just as detailed, but somehow, to my ears, a lot more musical.... the NAD M51 is great, and the W4S DAC2 is equal in all aspects, except musicality is a lot higher... I cannot put my finger on it, as to why this is so, but to my ears, it is so!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back