Naim Nait 5si Vs Rega Elex-R

Ebenezer

Hello FMs,

I am in search of an amplifier that pairs well with Wharfedale Evo 4.2

I like tight bass & well balanced sound across the frequencies without sibilance. I like amplifiers with good PRaT. I listen to acoustic, Jazz, pop, mild rock kind of music.

I am unable to demo both these amplifiers in Chennai. Would appreciate the opinion and experience of our FMs as to what is the difference (tonaly) between these two amplifiers and which would be a better synergy with Evo 4.2.

Hello FMs,

I like tight bass & well balanced sound across the frequencies without sibilance. I like amplifiers with good PRaT. I listen to acoustic, Jazz, pop, mild rock kind of music.

I am unable to demo both these amplifiers in Chennai. Would appreciate the opinion and experience of our FMs as to what is the difference (tonaly) between these two amplifiers and which would be a better synergy with Evo 4.2.
I’ve heard the Evos powered by Cambridge CXA81 at @DB1989 ’s place and they sounded very musical, well balanced across the frequency spectrum. Of course lot of it would depend on your DAC too, as well as room acoustics.

Hello FMs,

Wharfedale ans rega are very matched .i have listened to rega Brio wharfedale speakers.v good experience

Talk to @balavignesh002 who has been using these speakers for over a year. He has a keen listening sense.
Thanks. I will check with Bala on his experience👍

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. I read in whathifi review that Rega Elex-r is better than Nait 5si.

"The 2013 Award-winner (Naim Nait 5si)may have just lost out to Rega’s punchier, more revealing (and pennies cheaper) Elex-R in a tight head-to-head during this year’s Awards discussion" -Whathifi review.

When I was about to decide on Nait 5si, I came across the above review and wanted to check if any of our FMs have experienced these two specific models of amps and what they feel. Thanks

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. I read in whathifi review that Rega Elex-r is better than Nait 5si.

"The 2013 Award-winner (Naim Nait 5si)may have just lost out to Rega’s punchier, more revealing (and pennies cheaper) Elex-R in a tight head-to-head during this year’s Awards discussion" -Whathifi review.

When I was about to decide on Nait 5si, I came across the above review and wanted to check if any of our FMs have experienced these two specific models of amps and what they feel. Thanks
I would never ever trust reviews from whathifi, they are all paid reviews and therefore highly biased & almost always misleading.

I would never ever trust reviews from whathifi, they are all paid reviews and therefore highly biased & almost always misleading.
Thanks for your feedback. Yes i have heard this from multiple folks ;-) That's why i prefer getting the opinion from the real users of gears wherever i am unable to do a demo.

I have heard the Evo 4.2 with Audiolab 6000a loved it, my friend is getting this Evo 4.2 in 1-2 days to test as he owns a Marantz PM8006.
One thing I liked about Audiolab is it makes any speaker sing, I have had a few speakers from friends or myself and none disappointed with the pairing.

Many love the Rega Brio and you can't go wrong with Elex R I suppose, but again how it sounds with Evo 4.2 will only tell when it is paired.

Alot of factors can make a difference including the room.
Audition if possible, do you miss anything from the Yamaha you had?

Most of the speakers out there will sound very good with most of the amplifiers out there and the biggest factor is your room which more often than not cannot be a variable. So your question is a bit of a crap shoot because what works for one will/may not work for another. :p

Most of the speakers out there will sound very good with most of the amplifiers out there and the biggest factor is your room which more often than not cannot be a variable. So your question is a bit of a crap shoot because what works for one will/may not work for another. :p
Theoretically you are right. However when certain amplifier complements with some speakers the outcome is awesome. I like pairing warm speakers with neutral amp which complements each other. There are people who like pairing neutral / lean sounding speakers with warm amplifier.

I agree on the importance of room and acoustics. Unfortunately none of these amplifiers are available in Chennai for demo. I had an opportunity to demo Evo 4.2 with Naim XS2 form one of our FMs, Naim XS2 is almost 3x the price of Nait 5si. However this combination sounded awesome with Shciit Bifrost DAC. I hope Nait 5si will also have similar tone signature, pace & timing of Naim XS2.

I’ve heard the Evos powered by Cambridge CXA81 at @DB1989 ’s place and they sounded very musical, well balanced across the frequency spectrum. Of course lot of it would depend on your DAC too, as well as room acoustics.
Thanks for the vote of confidence @Bloom@83 ! 😊

I'm glad that you found the sound to be musical and well balanced. It is always reassuring to know what I am hearing as "good sound" is not restricted to my belief alone.

Hello FMs,

I like tight bass & well balanced sound across the frequencies without sibilance.
Welcome to the Club! 😂

If we were to draw a venn diagram, 99% of hi-fi'ers describing their next amp/speaker would fall into this cluster.

I like amplifiers with good PRaT. I listen to acoustic, Jazz, pop, mild rock kind of music.

From what I've seen on the forum, FMs using a combination of Evo 4.2 and Audiolab 6000a love it since they have great synergy.

This should come as no surprise - both Wharfedale and Audiolab are related concerns with the same ownership.

While designing and tuning the sound of stereo amps for the hifi market, designers take into account how a particular amp plays with speakers more or less of the same price range (interviews and videos of Andrew Jones, Paul from PS Audio, Matthias Carstens, head of RME Audio development have great insights into how they go about designing speakers and amps). It would be unreasonable to expect amp designers to have tried out every single speaker in the price category and they'd mostly test their amps with what they have at hand. Guess what was readily available for the chaps at Audiolab? 🙂

The Wharfedale Evo is excellent at detail retrieval and goes about delivering it in an unforced manner. Its Treble leans towards the "dry" side of proceedings and its Tweeter seems designed intentionally to have narrow dispersion i.e. the speakers won't sound bright in an untreated room or when placed close to a boundary. As per this design philosophy, detail retrieval and stereo imaging for the Evo 4.2s are at its maximum on axis i.e. when the Tweeters are directly facing your ears.

The Evos are speakers which love to play to their strengths. They also have an unhurried nature i.e. the bass is good in quantity, definition and depth but not the fastest. Therefore, music with bass notes that have a natural decay are reproduced wonderfully while not particularly in their comfprt zone when playing bass which is extremely fast and starts and stops at a dime, especially tracks in the Electronic Genre.

The Cambridge Audio CXA81 has good attack and is a dynamic amp. From what I've heard from users of Rega, they share many similar traits though the tonality differs. However, such amps with a primary focus on attack and dynamics may not be the best match for the Evo 4.2 which is already very good at detail retrieval. Coupled with its affinity towards a relaxed bass presentation, the Evo tends to give a bright (though not sibilant) presentation which loses out on warmth.

To my mind, you should ideally get amps which do not have a presentation that is on the brighter side or for that matter, an amp with a primary focus on detail and attack. And you needn't, because the Evo is already a maestro in digging up the last dredges of it, even from basic budget amps.

From my experience with the Evo 4.2s, they have great synergy with amps which are either neutral or lean towards the warmer side of neutral. My Evos have better synergy with my Marantz PM6006 and SR6013 than the CXA81 though the latter is clearly the more accomplished amplifier while driving the Evos. It took me a great deal of experimentation with positioning, mixing and matching room treatment (absorption, diffusion and what not) and DACs to get a good sound while driving the Evos with the CXA81. With my Marantz amps which lean towards the warmer side of proceedings, they sounded just right!

Last edited:
I have almost same combination , Rega Elex-r with Evo4.1. Rega is nice amp , a bit hint of bright on neutral side, good details so it's combination with Evo4.1 is excellent as later emphasis is on mid range . I am mostly into Hindi Songs , so for me this combination really works like a charm. In chain other components also do matter (good source and Dac) to get best out of it. Never heard Naim though, you definitely need a shootout b/w amp and speakers to judge.
Glad to know that Rega Elex-R works well with Evo 4.1. I heard that both Rega Elex-R and Naim Nait 5si both have slightly brighter top end. Hence i think warmer DAC would tame the brightness. I agree the source and Dac is really important.

I use Ifi Zen Stream (mostly i listen to FLAC files from hard drive). I have placed an order for SMSL D300 DAC which i am yet to get it. This DAC is bit warmer.

Thanks for the vote of confidence @Bloom@83 ! 😊

I'm glad that you found the sound to be musical and well balanced. It is always reassuring to know what I am hearing as "good sound" is not restricted to my belief alone.

Welcome to the Club! 😂

If we were to draw a venn diagram, 99% of hi-fi'ers describing their next amp/speaker would fall into this cluster.

From what I've seen on the forum, FMs using a combination of Evo 4.2 and Audiolab 6000a love it since they have great synergy.

This should come as no surprise - both Wharfedale and Audiolab are related concerns with the same ownership.

While designing and tuning the sound of stereo amps for the hifi market, designers take into account how a particular amp plays with speakers more or less of the same price range (interviews and videos of Andrew Jones, Paul from PS Audio, Matthias Carstens, head of RME Audio development have great insights into how they go about designing speakers and amps). It would be unreasonable to expect amp designers to have tried out every single speaker in the price category and they'd mostly test their amps with what they have at hand. Guess what was readily available for the chaps at Audiolab? 🙂

The Wharfedale Evo is excellent at detail retrieval and goes about delivering it in an unforced manner. Its Treble leans towards the "dry" side of proceedings and its Tweeter seems designed intentionally to have narrow dispersion i.e. the speakers won't sound bright in an untreated room or when placed close to a boundary. As per this design philosophy, detail retrieval and stereo imaging for the Evo 4.2s are at its maximum on axis i.e. when the Tweeters are directly facing your ears.

The Evos are speakers which love to play to their strengths. They also have an unhurried nature i.e. the bass is good in quantity, definition and depth but not the fastest. Therefore, music with bass notes that have a natural decay are reproduced wonderfully while not particularly in their comfprt zone when playing bass which is extremely fast and starts and stops at a dime, especially tracks in the Electronic Genre.

The Cambridge Audio CXA81 has good attack and is a dynamic amp. From what I've heard from users of Rega, they share many similar traits though the tonality differs. However, such amps with a primary focus on attack and dynamics may not be the best match for the Evo 4.2 which is already very good at detail retrieval. Coupled with its affinity towards a relaxed bass presentation, the Evo tends to give a bright (though not sibilant) presentation which loses out on warmth.

To my mind, you should ideally get amps which do not have a presentation that is on the brighter side or for that matter, an amp with a primary focus on detail and attack. And you needn't, because the Evo is already a maestro in digging up the last dredges of it, even from basic budget amps.

From my experience with the Evo 4.2s, they have great synergy with amps which are either neutral or lean towards the warmer side of neutral. My Evos have better synergy with my Marantz PM6006 and SR6013 than the CXA81 though the latter is clearly the more accomplished amplifier while driving the Evos. It took me a great deal of experimentation with positioning, mixing and matching room treatment (absorption, diffusion and what not) and DACs to get a good sound while driving the Evos with the CXA81. With my Marantz amps which lean towards the warmer side of proceedings, they sounded just right!
Glad to know that you have experimented a lot with Evo 4.2. Thanks a lot for sharing your experience and thoughts. It really helps.

Do any of our FMs in Chennai have either Audiolab 6000a (or) Naim Nait 5si amplifier that i can demo?

Very good video👌👌. $1000 dollar system with good synergy sounds much better than $2000 non synergic system😀

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back