Nakamich ZX9

NakTech

Hello Friends...I am back ...at last. I went offline for some time due to some personal and professional problems. Things are better now and hopefully I will be able to update posts at least once in a week from now on.

So ....this time it is the supreme being...The ZX9. I did the usual mechanical alignment first. This is also a classic transport. So it is very similar to the 582Z. The main difference being the DD Capstan and the record head azimuth control.
I got a set of belts from Marrs (which is the next best thing one can find other than the original Nak part)
Some photos are attached. Only a rough alignment is done in the electronic part because my T100 is all ripped open now for an upgrade. I am replacing all the old caps with new ones and the resistors with 0.1% and 0.2% types. Once done and calibrated. I will have a better means to measure wow/Flutter and other specs.
This deck was not in use for almost 15 years or so. So only after a week of use we will know if some components will fail or not. All the orange capacitors are the original ones. Usually they will fail if unused for a long time. Keeping my fingers crossed for now. I have 5% caps as of now for replacement. The original orange caps are 2%. Only online sources seems to have them. At least in Chennai they are not available in the local market. If anyone knows where to get these please share the contacts. Online sources are there. But they are very expensive, about Rs. 140 each capacitor:sad:
The values needed are 33n, 1n8, 4n7, and 3n3. All 100V 2% (G).

Nakamichi made some of the best cassette decks but its sad that its no more......nak is now a Chinese company making average products.......

Online sources are there. But they are very expensive, about Rs. 140 each capacitor:sad:
The values needed are 33n, 1n8, 4n7, and 3n3. All 100V 2% (G).

Is this conversion table correct?

PicoFarad NanoFarad MicroFarad
(pF) (nF) (mF, uF or mfd)

1000 1 or 1n 0.001
1500 1.5 or 1n5 0.0015
1800 1.8 or 1n8 0.0018
2200 2.2 or 2n2 0.0022
3300 3.3 or 3n3 0.0033
4700 4.7 or 4n7 0.0047
6800 6.8 or 6n8 0.0068
10000 10 or 10n 0.01
15000 15 or 15n 0.015
22000 22 or 22n 0.022
33000 33 or 33n 0.033

These caps in various voltages and packages are available in my inventory... Can courier them if interested:)

Last edited:
Is this conversion table correct?

PicoFarad NanoFarad MicroFarad
(pF) (nF) (mF, uF or mfd)

1000 1 or 1n 0.001
1500 1.5 or 1n5 0.0015
1800 1.8 or 1n8 0.0018
2200 2.2 or 2n2 0.0022
3300 3.3 or 3n3 0.0033
4700 4.7 or 4n7 0.0047
6800 6.8 or 6n8 0.0068
10000 10 or 10n 0.01
15000 15 or 15n 0.015
22000 22 or 22n 0.022
33000 33 or 33n 0.033

These caps in various voltages and packages are available in my inventory... Can courier them if interested:)

The conversion is correct. But what is needed is polyester or silver mica types with 2% or better tolerance. The letter G represent 2%. For eg: 33n will be 333G. 3n3 will be 332G. If it is J 5%, K 10%. So G or any letter before G is good. Please let me know.

Hey IndiNakDoc,

Did you manage getting the replacements for (G) 2% orange PPC....
Some of the values in Bias Oscillator section can be substituted with 5% equivalents...(WIMA is usually good) but for ones in the Dolby section the tolerances are critical for correct tracking....
Do let us know from where did you manage to source these caps....
Also let us know how does the ZX-9 perform after the recap....heard a lot of great things abt it...

Regards,

Slowly getting back in track. I got the belts from Marrs communications. They are excellent. But as expected the orange caps gave away. Sudden breaks and pops during playback. Just confirmed the caps by replacing with normal 10% caps now. There is an ebay source for the 2% ones. I will order them next week. One of my friend is traveling to US. I can get it shipped to him and get them them once he comes back.

Actually the 2% caps are made by a Japanese company called TOSHIN KOGYO. They are the exact replacement for the Nak Orange caps. They have a website in Japanese. I wrote to them about a month ago. but they did not reply. vendors like RS, Mouser, Digikey, elements etc don't have these. Unless we find some tapehead in Japan, the chances to get them seems remote. Knowing that they are there and being unable to get them is Sad...

Good to hear.... I did end up replacing all the orange PPC caps on my NAK 480z with the 5% ones...got them from ritchie st....and sounds great after that ... I was hoping
to find the exact 2% replacements only for the dolby section....to ensure that there no dolby mistracking....

Thanks for the TOSHIN KOGYO lead...hopefully we can find some TH in japan who is willing to help....

Good to hear.... I did end up replacing all the orange PPC caps on my NAK 480z with the 5% ones...got them from ritchie st....and sounds great after that ... I was hoping
to find the exact 2% replacements only for the dolby section....to ensure that there no dolby mistracking....

Thanks for the TOSHIN KOGYO lead...hopefully we can find some TH in japan who is willing to help....

Did u replace urself or u have a qualified mechanic who did it for u?

I did it all by myself......really like recapping / restoring vintage electronics ...great timebusters during the weekend..:eek:hyeah:

Thats good!!
But have u learnt from somewhere to do it OR it doesn't need any rocket science to do? I generally don't even open the system :)

Definitely not rocket science...but you need some good soldering skills and the right tools...

For a recapping exercise you don't need to have a complete knowledge of electronics...
You just need to understand the spec of a capacitors / types / polarity if it is a polarized cap....
And most importantly you have to acquire decent soldering / de-soldering skills...which ofcourse will come with practice...

The following tools would be required for recap :
A good soldering iron
Solder roll
Soldering Flux
Desoldering gun / pump / wick
DMM
ESR Meter (especially if you looking to find and replace only bad caps)
A Function generator / Oscilloscope would be handy to trace and debug issues on electronic circuit but is generally not required for a recap...

Right from my school days I have had the chance to work on a few electronic circuits / DIY kits etc (you know) and ofcourse being an engineering graduate myself I have developed the passion to work on electronic stuff....

Wonderful!!

Lucky u :)

Definitely not rocket science...but you need some good soldering skills and the right tools...

For a recapping exercise you don't need to have a complete knowledge of electronics...
You just need to understand the spec of a capacitors / types / polarity if it is a polarized cap....
And most importantly you have to acquire decent soldering / de-soldering skills...which ofcourse will come with practice...

A good soldering iron
Solder roll
Soldering Flux
DMM
A Function generator / Oscilloscope would be handy to trace and debug issues on electronic circuit but is generally not required for a recap...

Right from my school days I have had the chance to work on a few electronic circuits / DIY kits etc (you know) and ofcourse being an engineering graduate myself I have developed the passion to work on electronic stuff....

Hello All,
I have ordered some good replacements for the Orange capacitors from many many different sources. Some of them have come some are on the way. Got exact 2% or 1% for all 2% types and 5% for all 5%. Also collecting Nichicon Muse, FG, FW and Elna Silmic electrolytics for replacement in the audio path. Got some ultra precision (0.1 and 0.2%) Resistors for my T-100.

Presently refurbishing a CR2 for an FM. Once that is completed, the T-100 will be serviced. (It is good now, but the tones are a bit off. I am hoping that the new resistors will bring more accuracy. Once done I will post the results. Planning to add an album of my Nak babes soon. Need to find my way around..

Regards

Umesh

I know this is too late to add..but Still may save someone. The Desoldering Pump that works with the spring to activate the vacuum can be a major problem in older naks. The pads will get damaged unless extreme care is taken.

A motorized station is safer or a cheaper alternative would be to get a pump with the rubber actuator (looks like the pom pom horn in old transport bus)

A good soldering iron
Solder roll
Soldering Flux
DMM

By the way NakTech r u Mr.Umesh Chandran?

I know this is too late to add..but Still may save someone. The Desoldering Pump that works with the spring to activate the vacuum can be a major problem in older naks. The pads will get damaged unless extreme care is taken.

A motorized station is safer or a cheaper alternative would be to get a pump with the rubber actuator (looks like the pom pom horn in old transport bus)

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back