Nakamichi BX1

Music Freak

Hi all,

I'm intending to purchase a Nakamichi deck at an affordable price. I have been offered Nak BX1 at 7k. I would like to know if its worth that price ? If not, may I know an appropriate price I can ask for that ?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Hello...
I too have been in the hunt for buying a couple of Nakamichi decks...
In fact scored one sometime back...
Based on my market research...and some of the the offers that I got to see

I would say that 7k is a little steep for a BX-1. . It is a bottom of the line deck from Nakamichi with single capstan drive..299 usd when launched...but still will give you a great performance if it has been cared for...
But bear in mind that you would anyway have to spend on replacing the belts and the idler wheel..complete alignment and calibration

I would suggest to look for a dual asymmetric diffused capstan drive..even if it a two header one..This will certainly give you a great performance and worth every
Penny that you spend on it...bottom line is nakamichi's are complex decks and keep it performing at top level you would have spend extra money on new rubber parts...complete alignment and calibration..

Of course there are great performing decks from other manufacturers like Sony technics akai

Happy hunting:eek:hyeah:

Hi Technics_Fan,

Thank you for your response and suggesting the best.

Well, I did find out that on eBay the BX1s are being sold within 40$-75$ range, which approximates to around 3K-4.5K INR. I felt that the seller here has quoted the additional amount for shipping, maintenance and the brand value. But, on another older thread found that a pristine BX1 deck was offered at 60$ (3.7K) in India. Due to my inadequate knowledge about the decks, I was confused, joined this forum, posted the question :)

Anyway, I googled for "dual asymmetric diffused capstan drive" and found few models. I will go through them, but again, my requirement is a used inexpensive deck with all its features functioning, should sound great & play my cassettes well.

Alright, we shall keep hunting, good luck & thanks again!

When it comes to buying good pre owned stuff Patience is virtue...

EBay prices are never a good benchmark to draw price comparisons...the prices are usually inflated.. local thrift store like goodwill and many others will give you a good deal ....

If you have someone in NA who can bring back deck home.. that would be the best option...

Also I would recommend that you change the capstan belt at least to ensure that the deck is performing at the top. With the factory specified WRMS....

of course before buying..you would have to audition it thoroughly and look for various things like head wear ... state of the pinch rollers... frequency response....eq ...levels across the channels...
Possible distortion / clipping etc..

All the best

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back