NAS OR media player

imgene

Hi All,

I may have an opening to get a lightweight product from USA. I need your advice and product recommendations in deciding whether I should buy a NAS or a mediaplayer. The primary needs will be as follows:

1) connect my external drives to play movies (avi, divx, MKV, bluray movies)

2) to play the mp3 and flac collection.

3) to be able to connect and share files wirelessly with other computers wirelessly.

Thank you friends.

Hi,
Based on your needs, you seem to be okay with media player with network capability.

NAS Features:
- Very good for file sharing (speed and reliability)
- Good for Streaming Audio / Video using DLNA .. (You still need a player capable of DLNA)

Media Player:
- Good for playing Audio / Video on to TV / Audio receiver
- As an addon feature you can use it as NAS ( relatively slower than NAS and may not be as reliable as NAS)

I think you can go for WD TV Live / Hub for your needs.
-Murali.

in deciding whether I should buy a NAS or a mediaplayer.

These two devices are not competitive, but complimentary. If you already have a media player, you can then look at a NAS as a way of centralising all your media. If you do not have a media player or a HTPC or something, a NAS is pretty much an expensive flower vase.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks, I also thought of same, but had read in some links that NAS can double up as a media center or vice-versa. I guess will keep these two separate. I will concentrate on media center for time being.

Any great recommendations for a good media center?

Hi,
NAS Features:
- Good for Streaming Audio / Video using DLNA .. (You still need a player capable of DLNA)

-Murali.

I think players that are capable of accessing IP / Hostname based network shares do not require to have DLNA and moreover if you intend to use DLNA to play content from a NAS the NAs must be running UPnP. In my personal experiance DLNA over wifi is a pain at times when I play using my PS3 over wifi (G, less bandwidth, I know) as compared to a dedicated media player like ASUS O Play that can access file shares directly over the network.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back