Nearfield speakers for desktop use

pguy

Hello guys,

I am looking at some really good quality near speakers that I can audition for my desktop. I spend a lot of time on the computer and would prefer a really good set of speakers for them.

By near field, the distances between the speakers would be around 4ft and a similar distance would be the place I'd be seated. Source would be the PC, would buy an external DAC to bypass the soundcard (something like the MF VDAC)

My budget for the whole setup is around 1 lac. that is around 80,000/pair of speakers + amp. Can work with either passive or active speakers, but active might work better as I can ignore the amps.

Mostly when I read on other sites, the names harbeth and other exotics show up, but none of them are available in India. What do you guys suggest?

Edit: I prefer the sound to remain musical and not get clinical. Not sure the studio monitors might be a good idea.

Why not ask the Dynaudio dealer:

The Soundsmiths
222, Kewal Industrial Estate,
Senapati Bapat Marg, Lower Parel
400 013 Mumbai

Phone: 40611888

:)

Hello guys,

I am looking at some really good quality near speakers that I can audition for my desktop. I spend a lot of time on the computer and would prefer a really good set of speakers for them.

By near field, the distances between the speakers would be around 4ft and a similar distance would be the place I'd be seated. Source would be the PC, would buy an external DAC to bypass the soundcard (something like the MF VDAC)

My budget for the whole setup is around 1 lac. that is around 80,000/pair of speakers + amp. Can work with either passive or active speakers, but active might work better as I can ignore the amps.

Mostly when I read on other sites, the names harbeth and other exotics show up, but none of them are available in India. What do you guys suggest?

Edit: I prefer the sound to remain musical and not get clinical. Not sure the studio monitors might be a good idea.

As u said that u need near-field speakers, but near-field are called as monitors as far as I know so that is why I suggested u genelacs and what the genelacs are, u should search about it, so u will come to know:eek:hyeah:

and there is one more brand called KRK's which also manufactured near-field speakers. KRK RP5(Rokit Powered 5), KRK RP6(Rokit Powered 6), KRK RP8(Rokit Powered 8).

Near-field monitors are known for it's exact can say flat frequency sound quality but it doesn't mean that it can't give u bass RP8 will blow u away by it's bass:eek:hyeah:

I am not sure of that. Studio monitors tend to be the like the ones you've mentioned, by some regular speakers can be near field as well. Harbeths for one are used in many places as near-field ones, but aren't studio monitors (some of the models, they have a studio range as well).

I value musicality over extreme accuracy and so I made the distinction. But yes, some people do use genelacs and love them. So I'll look at them as well :)

As u said that u need near-field speakers, but near-field are called as monitors

I checked, they don't carry em. They don't have any of the active ones. Would have loved the ADMT 9 ones, but not sure about shipping and duty. Same for the other ones.

I found local quotes on the Focal CMS ones and will be auditioning them.

I wish I could get the pricing listed on the amazon proxied sites listed by you. The price is valid only for 5kgs, and since these speakers are pretty heavy the surcharge will be rather heavy. Sigh

Why not ask the Dynaudio dealer:

The Soundsmiths
222, Kewal Industrial Estate,
Senapati Bapat Marg, Lower Parel
400 013 Mumbai

Phone: 40611888

:)

I've heard this: Genelec 6010A is an Extremely Compact Two-Way Active Loudspeaker
Sounds real good despite the tiny size. Around 40K INR, I think. Another 40K for the woofer unit.
I spent some time browsing on the Genelec site. I don't know why pro gear is so attractive to me --- maybe I just want to get behind one of those big mixing desks :eek: --- but this really looks like fantastic stuff. I'm very charmed by their models that come complete with Digital Audio Processing to adjust the sound to the room, and include a mic for doing the job. :cool: I know about external boxes to do this, but I didn't know about it being built into a speaker.

However, I'm only ever going to be amazed at a distance: outside of my budget!

The small 6010A, however, is a reasonable entry-level price if obtained abroad. As one goes up the range, though, prices soon start to frighten

Here is a review of the 6010A from soundonsound magazine. It is always worth seeing if they have anything to say on semi-pro equipment

Anyway, dreaming is all part of the game: thanks for making me aware of stuff I didn't know existed!

KRK was also mentioned in the thread: I can say that, when I went to buy my M-Audio AV40s, I fell in love with the KRKs that were playing in the shop when I walked in. Too expensive for me. Also too big and too heavy; I was buying in Singapore and flying stuff home.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back