Need a coffee brand suggetions

Hi,
I am one of the coffee lover, I hate instant coffee. I love filter coffee. If you're in Tamil Nadu you try "NARASUS DHIVYAM" this brand specially prepare for hotels, I had look in to Amazon not available this "DHIVYAM" this coffee power best in my experience. I have been traveled world wide many countries and drink lot of coffees, I can't compare with Indian coffee brand "NARASUS DHIVYAM" this brand will available everywhere in Tamil Nadu @ NARASUS coffee stores. I used make coffee with coffee maker brand name "Morphy Richards Kaffeto" Milk Frother and Coffee maker with NARASUS DHIVIYAM coffee powder.
Rajkumar

for me it is very good pairing with a south indian breakfast (Idli, Vadai, Pongal, Dosa etc.)

Like wine tasting, coffee tasting is also a well developed art/ science. You don't have to be a taster, but knowing the key attributes of good coffee can help you choose better.

Aroma: The smell that you get before sipping. Starts becoming evident from the time you start grinding. Hold the cup close to your nose for some time to prepare yourself for the drink and express gratitude to the poor farmers whose heartbreaking toil has brought you this cup.

Body: It's like the midrange of your speakers, where most of the action lies yet nobody talks about it. Very much dependent upon roast intensity. Most people are fond of medium body. But delicate beans do better with light roast to focus more on flavor. Deep roasted heavy body brew gives you that kick in your you-know-what.

Flavor: It's the smell that you get after you have started drinking. It's less spiky, more lingering. A marriage of aroma and body. It's the component that is easily appreciated by any new drinker. Flavor (and aroma), just like wine, can be complex with many fine top notes over a strong base note. Good coffee will have complex notes, and like wine, will reflect the terroir, i.e geography and the climate of where the beans are grown. One of the most important factors that determine cost of the coffee.

Acidity: Mainly due to tannins in the beans, it's the cold sweetish dryness that is felt at the back of your tongue and palate after you have sipped. Without acidity, coffee is bland and worthless.

Aftertaste: Contributed by many things, but mostly by the body and acidity. The aftertaste lingers on in your mouth, mostly at the back of your tongue and upper throat for several minutes. It's the time to cut off from the world, contemplate on deeper things and be generally happy and content with the blessings that we have.

Not a very scientific description, professional tasters may not agree. But from the average drinker's point of view, this is how I get my kicks.
Wow...!

Coincidentally , we had some coffee being planted just as an experiment here in Kalimpong. The friend who coordinated this effort also has a limited edition boutique coffee which he grows at an altitude of 5600 feet www.facebook.com/HimalisOrganicCoffee.
He says the clone being planted is typica bourbon arabica.
View attachment 60262

View attachment 60263
View attachment 60264
Thanks for this Moktan! Fantastic views. Will check out the fb page to see if he sells green beans.
Curious to know what is the exact purpose of adding chicory to the coffee powder? And how does its proportion affect the outcome?
Chicory adds a depth flavour and strength to coffee. Also used as a filler and as a coffee substitute when times were tough. Chicory has some health benefits but you’d get these only if you grind it fresh. The prepackaged stuff has long lost its goodness. New Orleans is world famous for its chicory based coffee blends.
1DE4F7E4-C1E9-4204-9975-4C78C2D96A9C.jpeg
This thread inspired me to dig out my pourover. Will try a few brews over the next week. I normally like a stronger coffee flavour profile but this should be fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
When I used to live in the US, when returning from my vacations to India, I always used to take some small knick knacks from here for my Yank friends, and I always thought they used to appreciate those a lot. Till a friend told me he would like me to bring him some Indian coffee instead. The next time around, I took some earthy Kumbakonam coffee for all of them. They went beserk appreciating it!!! When some of them brewed it [drip pour] in the office pantry, there were tons of appreciative comments for the aroma. I think I made more friends just for the coffee. :p Good times, those!

Indian coffee indeed occupies a very unique place in coffee growing regions cos of the spice plants it is inter cropped with, lending a very unique palpable flavour profile with varying degrees of intensity across most estate offerings.

Regards

I am huge coffee fan and developed a taste for coffee when I was 5 years old. I grew up in a south-indian family where morning coffee was a ritual. When I used to live in US and Germany, my single-origin staples were Ethiopian Yiragacheffe (Dark roast, medium acidity, nutty flavor), Nicaraguan ( Dark, intense chocolate), Hawaiian Kona (Medium roast, floral and rich). I tried roasting beans but getting it right was tricky. So just stuck to grinding and brewing. My favorite method is the Moka pot to extract the maximum flavors while avoiding the bitterness/metallic aftertaste. I don't like instant coffee or chicory anymore though I used to have it all the time when I was younger.

After I moved back to Bangalore, I tried the various coffee brands that have mushroomed here - Blue Tokai, TGL, Rage, Slay, Third Wave, Korebi, Corridor 7, Dope etc. For those of you who use Cred app, check out the coffee store that curates and sells these brands. With the exception of Third Wave, and Blue Tokai to some extent, most of these brands are inconsistent and I don't think are even single-origin.

I have zeroed in on coffee from a small organic farm near Salem in Tamilnadu called Dragonfly Farms, run by an Austrian restauranteur in Bangalore, who really knows his coffee. After having tried over 30+ varieties from all over South India, I believe this is one of the best. It is available for delivery only in Bangalore as of now. They have only one varietal - 100% Arabica USDA organic certified, small-batch dark roasted on the day of the order. Pure Bliss in a cup! Try it.

I am huge coffee fan and developed a taste for coffee when I was 5 years old. I grew up in a south-indian family where morning coffee was a ritual. When I used to live in US and Germany, my single-origin staples were Ethiopian Yiragacheffe (Dark roast, medium acidity, nutty flavor), Nicaraguan ( Dark, intense chocolate), Hawaiian Kona (Medium roast, floral and rich). I tried roasting beans but getting it right was tricky. So just stuck to grinding and brewing. My favorite method is the Moka pot to extract the maximum flavors while avoiding the bitterness/metallic aftertaste. I don't like instant coffee or chicory anymore though I used to have it all the time when I was younger.

After I moved back to Bangalore, I tried the various coffee brands that have mushroomed here - Blue Tokai, TGL, Rage, Slay, Third Wave, Korebi, Corridor 7, Dope etc. For those of you who use Cred app, check out the coffee store that curates and sells these brands. With the exception of Third Wave, and Blue Tokai to some extent, most of these brands are inconsistent and I don't think are even single-origin.

I have zeroed in on coffee from a small organic farm near Salem in Tamilnadu called Dragonfly Farms, run by an Austrian restauranteur in Bangalore, who really knows his coffee. After having tried over 30+ varieties from all over South India, I believe this is one of the best. It is available for delivery only in Bangalore as of now. They have only one varietal - 100% Arabica USDA organic certified, small-batch dark roasted on the day of the order. Pure Bliss in a cup! Try it.
Do you have a link to their website or a contact number, that would be helpful.

Hello all coffee lovers,

Since no moderator has pointed out that as with all good things “moderation is key” I will do this. :cool:

Two or three cups a day ought to be fine.

Drinking six or more cups of coffee a day is associated with smaller brain volume and a 53% increased risk for dementia, results of a large study suggest.

Karnataka has wonderful small producers coffee varieties. If marketed properly they can easily be world beaters. The big brands that are sold in India like Illy and Starbucks are total rip off.
What has your user experience been with the Saeco Coffee machine, is it the Poemia model?
Where do you get the IKEA house brand coffee, don’t see it online.

What has your user experience been with the Saeco Coffee machine, is it the Poemia model?
Where do you get the IKEA house brand coffee, don’t see it online.
Excellent sturdy machine. Mine is going strong for many years. But now it is not available in India. Delonghi machines of similar configuration are now available but is much more expensive.
IKEA beans are sold at the IKEA café counter. Hence not showing up in the website.

Good question as its a big market now.I have tried various brands across including branded very expensive ones..Finally I got a better one from our country itself without breaking my pocket.Its panduranga coffee brand from Chikmagalur. I got reference from a food blogger named Kripal amanna. For the last 6 months I am using the same brand.They have online site just try it out.

Thanks for this recommendation ! Ordered both the variants from their website and find them quite good....

This is only for 'kaappi' lovers and not for those who want 'Coffee'!
For years now, we have been using Coffee day's fresh and ground (tiny hole in the wall kind of grinding shops). We used to go to the outlet, ask the shop girl to mix and grind 50/50 of plantation A and peaberry pre-roasted beans and buy about a kilo or two depending on the need. No chicory. The beans are ground right in front of your eyes. Unfortunately for the past two - three years, the beans have been in short supply, shop closed due to lock down for extended period of time and in the current iteration - shops have not opened even 45 days after the lock down has been lifted.
It used to cost just about Rs450 - 500 per kg of ground coffee powder.
We are forced to look for alternates in the same price range. Tried a few but finding powders without chicory is a pain. Tried Pristine(flipkart), Thanjai natural (flipkart), Alive - direct from their website and most recently Columbian brew espresso Arabica from Amazon.

Columbian brew espresso: stay away from this if your nectar (why call it a poison when you enjoy it so much!?) is typical Tamilian filter kaappi! The decoction has some aroma, but once mixed with milk - it tastes awful.
Thanjai natural: yields more decoction, but taste / flavour is slightly below average at best - lacks the coffee aroma
Pristine: Tried it when lockdown was first enforced in 2020 - forgot what it was really like, but did not enjoy it much
Alive: come somewhat close to Coffee day - fresh and ground.
Coffee day fresh and ground: it has all the three (மணம், குணம் & சுவை i.e. aroma, character and flavour as they say in three roses or some such tea ad!) and it is easy on the budget too! It still is the best and am sincerely hoping and praying that they will be back in business soon!
fresh-and-ground-coffee-day-saligramam-chennai-coffee-powder-retailers-1zrdyac.jpg

I am a cheapskate - hard not to be considering I end up consuming 4-5 cups of espresso a day.
My tastes aren’t particularly high brow as my preferred blend has been Lavazza Qualita Rossa - and I prefer it over 100% arabica (including Illy as well as the fancier single source ones.)

However, Qualita Rossa tends to run pricey in India (at least by my standards)
so I continued my hunt till I landed upon Lavazza’s local packaging - Il Mattino Vivace.
Fancy name aside, its an honest arabica/ chicory mix (like Qualita Rossa) thats roasted right (medium roast), ground right (so as to not choke up a pump espresso) and most importantly, priced right (about 800/- a kg)

That’s what I have been using since it was launched a couple of years ago - and can gladly recommend it for the non super fancy coffee crowd

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back